• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is there a skill cap?

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Do you believe that there is a point in this game where someone must be closet cheating?
Or do you think that people can be " infinitely" good if they know the right thing to do at the right time?
Or do you think that there is a skill cap but its much higher than what people believe?

K

KiDD

All three. This is actually pretty interesting and personally I believe that players will eventually get to where they are skilled enough to do things over and over very skillfully, at their best. Closet cheating plays into the skill cap, and I think once you almost look like you're cheating that's it, there's no improving. I've seen quite a few who have played and looked like they were cheating and had first person POVs. It's kind of crazy when you get to that skill level. Then again people who are at that skill level have the potential to always play at that skill level, where it almost looks like the're hacking. So once you're at that level, you can use it whenever and however.

Avesu

Career
Reaction score
Like KiDDPixeL said, players will get very good, and they will always play very good, and so on.

However I believe that the game will only let someone do so much. You could be considered the best PvPer in the world, which means you can't get better. The game will only move so fast, your internet will only react so fast, and your hits can only hit as much is allowed.

SonicSplit

Career
Reaction score
If there is a skill cap in say points,no one has reached that and most likely no one ever will. If it is in wins/games,since it is hard to do good way to stop someone from playing,then no.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
There are so many factors.

Ping? Reaction time? Knowledge?
When I think of skill, I think of their mechanics and knowledge of the game. How well do they perform? How well do they execute techniques? But also - how well do they react to situations?
It's all tied together. No one can ever be the 'perfect player', although some might get close.

And I don't think that an ideally perfect player would be able to win all fights, either. If you get dropped into lava because someone flicked a switch in a place that you simply could not have been aware of, then is that really your fault?
Or if you're in a Forced Deathmatch against a team of 10, the numbers are simply working against you.
A perfect player wouldn't be able to always escape damage, either - sometimes you simply have to take a few hits to win the fight.

However, if it comes to sheer mechanics, I think that reaching the "skill cap" would be if you hit every bow shot, fishing rod cast, and can time your hits to perfectly align with the game mechanics. It's not only talent, but also incredible skill that is simply unobtainable.
"Do I move back?"
"Can I get a combo?"
"Will this person go for a crit, or use their fishing rod?"
"Can I expect them to use their flint and steel?"

So, I think there is a skill cap. No one can ever reach perfection. But the skill cap is high enough that people can continuously improve, even if they're #1.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It depends on what aspect of the game you're talking about. If you're just talking about PvP as in 1v1s and such, then yes there is a skill cap. Once you get good enough, you get to a point where there are other players who are on a similar skill level. Sometimes you'll beat them, sometimes they'll beat you.

If you're talking about Survival Games, I don't believe there is a skill cap. For a while there may be, and then tactics will be discovered and shared, and it will go up again, constantly improving.

Unfortunately, in my opinion the 1.7 sprint key completely obliterated half of the aspect of skill needed to PvP, there is a skill cap, and many people have reached it because it was highly nerfed, taking away the whole aspect of needing to manage your sprint, nerfing the fishing rod, and making strafing 100 times easier.

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
Well if anyone had ever played league of legends, you've probably heard of this guy called faker. Back in season 3 this guy was an unkillable demon who dominated the competative scene for a long time in skt t1 (his team). Being a korean he spent around 12-14 hours per day playing league of legends until one point it almost seemed he perfected the game.

The same applies here. If someone is that dedicated to become an amazing SG player they will definately become one (assuming that he also spent money for a good computer and best ping possible ). There is to an extent however when being human comes in. We're bound to make mistakes and that's something out of our control . Being good at the game means you can make as little mistakes as possible. We've all probably lit ourselves on fire at least once and there's been plenty of hackers I've versed that think they're god and try and go beyond their limit which costs them the game. In the end there will be an extent of which being that good is inhuman and impossible to make no mistakes. With that all aside I will be excited to see a dominating player like faker was in season 3 league if legends. Sure we've seen a lot of amazing pvpers on mcsg and some annoyed players would tell me huahwi is that kind of guy, but there's a lot more to PVP than we've seen.

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
As Snochet stated above, there is a skill cap for everyone, but it takes pure dedication to even reach. But as we all know, 1.8 is the equivalent of playing Cobblestone in proffesional Counter Strike. It kills the match.
But yeah a persons "highest" skill cap can never be reached unless said person grinds the game to perfection while is near impossible as new things are added.
Also, 1.8 = Ripperino PvP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci