• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mapping Tutorial: Creating A Map with WorldPainter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkandji

Tribute
Reaction score
I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here.
This is made for everyone that would love starting a map but hasn't yet found a decent seed to use.

Simply create your own!

It's super simple, very easy to use and done extremely quick. Especially the way to go for anyone that is afraid to use voxel or worldedit.

The one world I've been starting here took me about 10 minutes to make. That's how quick this tool works. But for a decent map you'll probably invest 1-2 hours with this tool. You can fiddle around until perfection and invest days in map creation. And if you're asking me, it's totally worth it.

Any 10 minute map looks much better than anything you could create with voxel or worldedit within half an hour. Regardless, you will NEED either of those later for the fine tuning: This tool simply saves you a lot of time.

I'm not here to advertise the tool or so, everything you need regarding installation, etc. is found here:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/231255-worldpainter-new-map-creatorgenerator-work-in-progress/

-------------------------------------------------------

Sooo.. let's get started!!

1.: The concept!

No good map without a good concept. Be creative, you may create anything you like.
Since I don't want to overcomplicate things in this tutorial I will simply follow these rules:
- One big island
- Starting area on a hill
- Different biomes
- Small variations in terrain

2.: Start the Program!

This is your starting screen. Before we start the madness with the brushes I'd like to go over all the tools and options available in the toolbar:

The first box lists all the Tools. There are ALL very self-explainatory. Your most important tools will be in the middle row: raise/lower; flatten; smooth and mountain ...

Below the tools you can see the Layers box (I might have actually moved mine to the side so don't panic when yours is somewhere else).
These basically open seperate windows regarding what they say. You may not need any of these besides Biomes and maybe Populate. Play around with them a bit if you like, but for our survival game we won't need Resources and Caverns.
Frost is useful to turn terrain into snow but the similar thing may be achieved with a seperate biome brush (I'll talk about biomes later).
Decidous and Pines are tools that can be used to place trees into empty biomes. So trees can be placed seperately without using a biome to determine the trees. Since you can also add trees seperately by using worldedit or voxelsniper and trees are added automatically into populated biomes, you don't really need to bother about these two either.
The populate icon is useful if you want some areas have habitated biomes and some without. Populate allows the generator to add trees, mobs and resources by random. You can also chose to simply populate the entire map when extracting the map later so there is no need for this tool if you're not planning on creating something special.

The Terrain box determines the current type of brush you are using. With this tool you can change the terrain according to the brush you are using - duh.

The Brush box itself is simply showing you different shapes of brushes.
You can swap brush size by scrolling your mousewheel and tune the intensity with the bar below.

3.: My first map!

Click "Create New World" and this window should appear:

You can determine the size of the map by choosing the amount of tiles.

Standard is 5 x 5 tiles, that marks an area of 640 x 640 blocks.

Since we want our arena to be at least 1000 blocks in diameter I suggest starting with
the settings above (giving you 1280 x 1280 units of world to paint!)

You may leave the other settings as they are as this is just perfect for us.
But you can also start with a map of completely shallow water.
To achieve this, select "Flat" and set the Water level 1 above the ground level (56 and 57 works fine)

Create a map. You will now see an entirely filled continent. Since we want an island go to your tool box and choose:
-> Raise/Lower with any brush you'd like.

Use a decent size and start lowering the continent by rightclicking and dragging the brush over the borders of your window. You should soon see water appear:

Just be rough. You can always do the finer lines later. For now, create an island...

I have lowered the ocean around to get a circular shaped land mass. Using the raise/lower tool I've also removed all the smaller lakes in the middle for now. Using the Grass Terrain brush I'm also removing every above ground sand, stone or clay.

Using the raise/lower tool and the smooth tool I have started on creating a mountain in the middle.
I suggest doing it this way because the mountain tool can be rather edgy and you won't get a very natural looking hill. The one I've created is rather large. I've started raising the circular area you see in the picture and then lowered the size of my brush with the mouse scroll.

Now click on view -> 3d view to get a nice idea of the mountain you've just created:

Not bad. But we cannot fit 24 people to the narrow peak of the mountain. Therefore we must level out the top:

I'm using a combination of the level tool, the smooth tool and the lower tool to achieve this plateau.

Now... start working on the layout of the map. We need some rivers (you can simply lowere the area with the raise/lower tool) and islands. I've also wanted to have some steeper cliffs in the south of the island. To create these, use the mountain tool together with a solid brush (either solid circle or solid square) and simply hold it down for a bit. The longer you press it, the higher the mountain gets:

Use smaller sized circles for a more detailed cliff. Obviously I didnt spend much time on this here, you can do it much better I guess :D

Anyways, we've now cut into our island and the circles don't appear to look natural so we are using the raise tool and the level tool to adjust the flat terrain and then use the smooth tool gently to make the cliff blend in to the island:

It looks much more natural now. Bear in mind that my cliffs are just about 10 blocks high. The higher the cliffs get, the more careful you have to be when you're using the smooth tool.

Using terrain again, you can start adding beaches and deserts to your world. Bear in mind that there are various different options available for dirt, sand and stone blocks.

Be very tidy when adding a beach. It will later save you a lot of time fixing. Use a very solid brush and just slide gently along the border of your island. Try not to be too fast otherwise you will end up with a lot of grass blocks inbetween the sand.

When you're completely done terraforming, click on "Biomes" and start going wild.
You can chose various biomes but bare in mind that the intensity of a biome also determines how dense it will be. Try to be tidy when applying biomes... (not like me *caugh*)

AAAAAAAAAAAND you're done.

Almost. Make sure to save your project first.
Then hit File -> Export World.

There are a few options we have to change for our map to work properly:

- In "General" you dont need to change anything. No border is the best option in my opinion since we wanna add a glass sphere as a border later via world edit.

- In "Caverns" make sure to disable all unless you have a very mountain rich map. Since usually you don't want people to disappear in large caves or dungeons simply dont have any created. You can later still use worldedit and build smaller caves by hand.

- Also disable "Resources". We don't need them and you'll save quite some time exporting the world when this option is unchecked.

- Unless you have added "Population" by hand, enable "Allow Minecraft to populate entire terrain". Otherwise you wont have any trees nor mobs spawning.

On the bottom you may also disable the "Include Chest of Goodies" since we are going to add our own ;) Make sure Anvil is selected and then click "Export" to create your map.

It will save the map directly into your game. You're now able to open up your world in Singleplayer!

Enjoy!

Will1

Spectator
Reaction score
Great tutorial. I'm using world painter to make my map and it is a real time saver. Just some thing that you may wish to add is how to change the ram allocated to the program as this can help improve the speed. But great job and keep up the good work :)

Arkandji

Tribute
Reaction score
Hehe posting before I was done :> But thanks anyways. Yea, I have no problems converting the maps. The one you see above is quite livid and took me about 2 minutes to compile with an older AMD Quadcore and 4 GB Ram.

Will1

Spectator
Reaction score
I'm a speed poster :p Took me 5 hours to export a 100 by 100 tile map, and that's with 8gb of ram and a pretty new intel processor. Then I remember that it's only for 24 or 48 people :'(

Arkandji

Tribute
Reaction score
Please don't send me messages asking me to actually create a map for you to use. As stated in my tutorial ANYONE could do that within 15 minutes. If you don't like what you've created please work on it.
I will answer you if you have any specific questions regarding the programm though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci