• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

MCSG Map Problems (Ideas)

Do you think map quality needs to improve?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No (Explain why)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Purewelshboy1

Career
Reaction score
Now before I even start I know that there has been a lot of heat around this particular topic although I would like in input my own idea on how we can improve map quality.

Ok this thread was inspired by The Arena Master on his thread he created yesterday.
I would like to say I do agree with his statement and idea's on how to improve map quality.

So the PMC maps... Yes we can agree that most of the maps did not live up to its full potential although it was a great idea and we did have a minority of maps that was actually good. Although I do have to tell you something, when the judges we're judging the maps they left out 1 crucial criteria that makes a PVP map great, the PVP gameplay. When the maps we're chosen they only looked for these things.

'Concept and Originality'
'Technique and Execution'
'Presentation'

(Quoted by someone else)
Bare in mind this was just for the PMC contest.

Now, I want to go back to a time when there was only 2 maps (Dem old school feelz) and I want you to revisit an old thread created by Vareide. = http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/questions-for-you-guys-about-survival-games-3.6033/

In this thread as you can see, he asks the community what they want in the maps, he is asking for the community's opinion and suggestions so that when they are creating the map its built around the opinions and suggestions on the community which was a great idea!

The problem with maps these days is that these maps are thrown on to our servers without even asking our opinions first! I mean what? We are the one's who playing the maps so surely we get a say on what maps go onto the server right?

So my ideas are =

1. Ask the community what they want in maps.
2. Make poles for the maps to go on the servers BEFORE they are put on.
3. Look for PVP gameplay when judging maps as well as how good they look.

Well thanks for reading guys and I want to see your opinions.
What do you think of our current MCSG maps?
Do you think quality of maps need to change?

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I love ideas #1 and #2! #2 would be another solution from avoiding the servers to be spammed with new maps.

Guinessis

Experienced
Reaction score
Most of the maps that are generating the complaints are ones that were decided without community feedback (PMC maps, Hell Games) so I have to agree, but selecting maps based on popular opinion also has its pitfalls. (Breeze Island all day errday!)

Selection by committee taking into account player opinions as well as providing ample opportunities for feedback between the authors and the players may work best. From the bits of information I've seen they are leaning towards selection by a small elite team which would require a lot of responsibility from that team to thoroughly review the maps and avoid biases. If they can pull it off great, but one mistake and the community will likely be calling for their heads. Letting the community have some say in the selection will avoid that kind of debacle.

Reaction score
I've always based my reviews/opinions on map on:
A. Chest Placement
B. Presentation
C. Terrain
D. Overall Style
E. Gameplay

With gameplay rating how well all of the elements work in unison.

TimmaaaaH

Platinum
Reaction score
No, because I like most of the new maps have been added. Except for Freeze and Solar Frost.
The build style is a little sloppy with Holiday resort and Valleyside Imo, but those are just details that aggrovate me like street lanterns or cars for instance.

If the community really wants a map gone then I feel they should have the option to vote for the removal of that certain map on a specific page meant for this subject. But only after a month or so after the release of that map, just so MCSG and the map creators don't have to deal with the hate from people that can't handle change. I don't think it's to the community to decide which map should be added Imo.

TimmaaaaH

Platinum
Reaction score
Most definitely, MCSG is spammed with bad maps
A bit rude to just flat out say that, since the builders worked a long time on building those maps and I'm sure most of them did as much as they could to make those maps good.

Reactions: Kos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci