• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mini-Modding

J

District 13
Reaction score
Hey there guys!
As you can tell by the title (hopefully) this thread is going to be based on a subject called Mini-Modding. For those of you unaware what mini-modding is, it's basically when a non-moderator or above warns people to stop flood, spam, etc. and so basically I would love to hear your guys' point of views on mini-modding!

Note: Please do not mention anyone on this thread, this is to avoid flame, thank you!

Before you put out your opinion, I just want to put the POVs of most staff members and most of the community on mini-modding so that you guys can get a vague idea of both sides.

Staff

For us staff, I can guarantee that most of us love it when other members of the community help out by mini-modding, it takes a load off of us so that we can focus on catching more hackers and etc. We really do appreciate that they help us out, but what about the community's side of it?

Community
When I see a person mini-modding, I am really grateful towards them as a staff, however, the responses of the community members don't follow my ways. Usually, the community will think that they're just sucking up to the moderators (which may or may not be true because some may actually have good intent) and usually, mini-modding leads flame, cursing, being disrespectful, etc.

Do you understand it now?

So what I'm wondering is that you, as the community, should put down your opinions here on mini-modding such as should players learn to ignore it, should there be a rule about mini-modding, etc. I can't guarantee anything being done with mini-modding if most of you do choose for there to be a rule implemented, but whatever the outcome, I will try my best to see it get done. Also, please remember to look from both sides, this may change your answer towards this topic. Thank you for reading this if you did and if you did not, there's a TL;DR under!

TL;DR - Do you think mini-modding is a good thing or not and explain why in your posts

ThaLichBD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Hm I really don't mind of "mini-mods" I know there are real Mods for something but I think that if all the Community work together we can make something bigger, something amazing, that's why Im helping and trying to induce other players to help out! <3

Last edited:

DatPikachu

District 13
Reaction score
What most people don't understand, is that if someone who is not a mod asks you to stop because you are breaking a rule, that doesn't mean he's a mod. I see people asking people to stop disrespecting someone, and their reply is "Why should I listen to you, you're not a mod lol".

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with people trying to help out, no matter what their rank is. Yes they may not be able to ban people, or have the authority to make you do what they say, but most of the time they're right and if you don't listen to them, your own insolent behavior will end up getting you in trouble with an actual mod eventually.

It's better just to listen to people. These "mini-mods" aren't tryhards, they're just trying to get rid of people who are doing dumb things and/or breaking rules.

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
BTW, normally it's called backseat moderating. It's usually OK, unless the person is trying to claim to have authority they don't actually have.

So, this is good: "Hey, try not to spam."

This is not: "Don't spam or I'll ban you."

But then there are people in the middle: "Don't spam or you might be banned." This implies the person can ban the other, but it doesn't directly say it.

In regards to rules about backseat moderating, I think we're fine as we are. If someone tried to claim to have power they don't, they'd be banned for impersonating staff. So, yeah...

SuperMCSam

Career
Reaction score
I personally feel that Mini-Modding is quite a good option, especially for the staff. They require all the help that they can get, since it's such a huge player base. Some players might feel that this is actually annoying, but I feel that it is a good thing :)

croe97

District 13
Reaction score
I remember ages ago in the hub with all of the floating islands, I used to mini-mod all of the time. I never really did it to 'suck up' or anything. It was more just the fact that I liked talking to people and someone spamming/flooding chat was annoying. If someone was abusing another player then I wasn't just going to say nothing. For some reason I felt like most people actually listened to me and I was making a positive impact.

So I personally support the idea of mini-modding. Some people just genuinely want to help the community. If you are one of these people, just make sure to not escalate any issues. If something is getting out of hand, just stay quiet and poke a mod on teamspeak or report them via forums. c:

Stephanie

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with it.

My responds to people flooding though usually go something like this: "omg my eyes ;-; Please stop flooding the chat" or "stop flooding the chat;-; rip eyes" xD

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
I have not read the whole thread or comments, but from what I understand is that this is about non-staff members enforcing the rules and telling people to stop if they break them.

I personally always do this. Whether its on the forums telling people not to spam, to not ask staff member to look at their mod apps and deputes. To telling people not to spam in chat in game. Or on the MCGamer TS not to swear or be rude.

Most of the time when I do this people just say to me to stop being a mod wanna be. Stop trying to be cool. Especially on the TS. And that just hurts.

I am still gonna do this. And do the best I can to keep people from breaking the rules.

If something is getting out of hand, just stay quiet and poke a mod on teamspeak or report them via forums. c:
I do this when people are annoying and tell me something that is not nice. I never try to fight back. There is no reason to and that just makes the troll get what he wants.

Vanicle | Vanessa

District 13
Reaction score
I hate when I see people getting abused for mini-modding. I agree with what you stated in your thread - it's really helpful when community members recognize our rules and try to make sure people abide by them. If things get out of hand though, its always best to get in contact with a staff member.

For all the people out there that find themselves being abused by the community for being a "mini-mod" just remember, this is a Minecraft community. In the end, we're all here to have fun. Don't be constantly on the lookout for people that are breaking rules but spend some time enjoying our platforms for other purposes. Also, it probably doesn't help to constantly announce that you're applying for moderator because then your intentions don't seem as genuine. ^.^

AGFire2013

District 13
Reaction score
I see no problem with it, and personally I find it's really helpful for us mods. We're grateful that people do care and try to help us with rule breakers and it really shows that people care for the community.
It's awful when I see these people getting abused because they're just trying to help and people just tear others down because they want to do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci