• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Moderator applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
My friend begged me to play a match on MCSG. I reluctantly agreed, connected into the server, and saw a moderator. I then remembered he would scold players, calling them "c**nts", blockglitch and abuse current glitches. That was before I left, I wasn't sure whether he had changed.

Moving on, I'm just wondering, should we have moderator applications? Should moderators pick the j. Moderators?

Pros : It gives information. Even if they are not looked at, you still get an idea of what they are like. In horrible timezones where moderators rarely assist you, it could help moderators decide on the new batch of moderators. Those who report hackers or glitchers also give an idea, whether they are biased, and such. People who write " I want to be known being mod" or " I want power" can be taken off the lists.

Cons : Players can be deceitful. Lying on an application is rather easy and takes under half an hour to do so. Actions speak more than words.

Some players may abuse their powers.

Also, having applications makes it a " Who wants to be a mod? " system. If one asks to be a moderator, they don't really have any reason to be one. Applications just tell them that frame of mind. Admins and moderators should hand-pick those who deserve it, not those who want it. Being a moderator is like a babysitter, moderating the MCSG community and making sure they do not break the rules.

Moderators shouldn't "join" to being a moderator, they should be "invited". Some players just want it for fame and power, and so that they can do anything they want if there are hackers. There many power-mad players who cannot fulfill the duties of a moderator. The rank should be earned, not applying to earn, by character, behaviour etc...

You would also get less " im from planet minecraft i want to test your commands " applications. It might also save the time of senior moderators and admins, having read so many worthless applications.

I suggest a strict limit, such as playtime, their activity on the forums and a vote monthly, where everyone gets to vote for a worthy moderator. Something like a "Moderator" spotlight. It could help decide the new moderators.

Also, moderators shouldn't be allowed to use Nodus, I found a channel of a moderator using FullBright... Etc. His argument? " To combat the hackers and let them have a taste of their own medicene. "

I am not saying that the system is retarded, I am just saying, MCSG should handpick moderators worthy of the rank, not power-hungry players who can't fulfill their duties.

BlitzCometITU

Diamond
Reaction score
Power hungry players? Man, that's disrespectful, completely disrespectful. We have the best Staff out of a lot of community's. Just because one Mod is bad, doesn't mean all of them are, pretty judgemental. And on to the topic, no, I don't believe Moderators should select new moderators, the reason the Sr. Mod's go over applications is because you only get Sr. Mod if you are a experienced Moderator, so they actually know who they should pick, and who's worthy. One more thing, if you have a problem with one of the mods, or believe they are not doing their job, PLEASE, report it to the Sr. Staff and they will handle things.

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
Look, I never said the staff are "power-hungry". I was referring to the players who were deceitful and only wanted power, who got declined. I don't have problems with that moderator, he seems to have changed or he just wants to keep his rank. Also, according to some players, little staff enter AS and not that many play on AU. Except for the narwhals.
Prevention is better than cure. You rather have a player who breaks rules have their application denied, than have it accepted. Sure, I trust the moderator's decisions and I respect it, but I became a moderator on a PvP server and the applications went like this : " i planet minecraft staff....."

BlitzCometITU

Diamond
Reaction score
Look, I never said the staff are "power-hungry". I was referring to the players who were deceitful and only wanted power, who got declined. I don't have problems with that moderator, he seems to have changed or he just wants to keep his rank. Also, according to some players, little staff enter AS and not that many play on AU. Except for the narwhals.
Prevention is better than cure. You rather have a player who breaks rules have their application denied, than have it accepted. Sure, I trust the moderator's decisions and I respect it, but I became a moderator on a PvP server and the applications went like this : " i planet minecraft staff....."
Those app's are not reviewed, and I'm sure it doesn't bother the Sr. Mod's too much, it only takes them like 10 seconds to figure out if the application is fake or not,

Cracker_Sauce

Survivor
Reaction score
Without mods , there's no MCSG . The moderators are picked for a reason . Not many people can just become a moderator. You must remember that mods go through so much time and effort just to make MCSG a better place. If you were accepted to be a mod . You deserve it.

BlitzCometITU

Diamond
Reaction score
Without mods , there's no MCSG . The moderators are picked for a reason . Not many people can just become a moderator. You must remember that mods go through so much time and effort just to make MCSG a better place. If you were accepted to be a mod . You deserve it.
There are some Mod's of an undeserving kind, I'm not going to say any names, but he has a valid point. The Sr. Mod's try there best and usually do do good at what they do, but you cannot act like every mod is actually great. Just think about it. But yes, most Moderators are great, and I hope they stay great.

Cracker_Sauce

Survivor
Reaction score
There are some Mod's of an undeserving kind, I'm not going to say any names, but he has a valid point. The Sr. Mod's try there best and usually do do good at what they do, but you cannot act like every mod is actually great. Just think about it. But yes, most Moderators are great, and I hope they stay great.
Yes You are definately true. I have bumped into some undeserving mods.

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
The way I kind of see it, MCSG sounds a little desperate for moderators. Some undeserving players who can't fulfill their duties get their rank. It should be EARNED by trust, not by applying to earn it. You can bullshit some facts around and your application is " decent "

People usually get nominated to become a moderator, but applying is "nominating" yourself.

Like you said, no moderator's perfect. However, if they are incapable of their duties, they should reconsider being a moderator on this server. It's like having power that you don't understand how to use.

I really respect the decisions of the senior staff members, but they should rethink on how they recruit players.

Happyhose

Diamond
Reaction score
I think you forgot that there is a actual interview too become mods, and they check the players bans from servers (if they have any) too find out if they have done anything. wrong and such.

Our Sr. Staff doesn't pick just anybody to becom e mod

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
Like typing, you can make up facts in an interview. After all, the senior moderator barely knows what kind of person you are. Of course, you can get rid of the little kids who impersonate players and players who are not confident enough. However, the more confident players may be able to make up stories of them being "helpful", and how they deserve the rank. I'm quite sure at least 1/12 of the moderators lied at least once in their application.

Besides, I don't think player infractions matter. You can have someone who breaks rules, but not banned yet and someone who rarely breaks rules, and gets banned that one time. It won't be fair if they make a biased decision just because they had been banned 6 months ago, and changed for the better.

Happyhose

Diamond
Reaction score
Heres a question, what moderator was using Nodus on his channel?
Link?

FrodoTheRipper

Spectator
Reaction score
I think the MODs are doing a great job they have been very nice to every one and are very helpful to me. Once I was getting bullied on a server and then one of the MOD came and were very nice and told him please do not abuse or bully others players or I will have to kick you>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci