• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Mojang's new rule against profit from Minecraft- Is it fair?

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
It doesn't allow you making money from Minecraft from December,13th 2013 meaning it's already illegal.
But I believe that the current EULA is the one which does not completely explain and define the gray areas. The new one which has NOT been updated yet will define those gray areas.

Joshkey

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
They EULA was done back in December to state all this except it has been enforced and there have been a lot of grey areas. People abused this and started creating servers with ranks costing ridiculous amounts of money like £1000 donor and so on. Due to this people are taking it way to for and this makes mojang look bad. This is why they will be cracking down on this and making it more bold what you can and cannot do. This isn't to say mojang doesn't want us earning money but they don't want us to abuse it and earn money under there terms. Thats why in the updated EULA they will define more clearly what you can and cannot do.

BlackHead

Career
Reaction score
But I believe that the current EULA is the one which does not completely explain and define the gray areas. The new one which has NOT been updated yet will define those gray areas.
Gray area or not, it's illegal what most servers are doing at the moment and that's clearly visible from the current version of EULA. It was said that they will find a better way for getting money from MC, but at the moment ranks are being illegal and Mojang is digging their own hole and falling into it. However, I don't remember that I agreed to EULA anywhere, and Mojang is aware of that, that's why they are forcing you to accept it when updating MC to 1.7.10. And because you never really agreed to it, you don't have to worry about it, only till you update to 1.7.10 ofc.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
They EULA was done back in December to state all this except it has been enforced and there have been a lot of grey areas. People abused this and started creating servers with ranks costing ridiculous amounts of money like £1000 donor and so on. Due to this people are taking it way to for and this makes mojang look bad. This is why they will be cracking down on this and making it more bold what you can and cannot do. This isn't to say mojang doesn't want us earning money but they don't want us to abuse it and earn money under there terms. Thats why in the updated EULA they will define more clearly what you can and cannot do.
Gray area or not, it's illegal what most servers are doing at the moment and that's clearly visible from the current version of EULA. It was said that they will find a better way for getting money from MC, but at the moment ranks are being illegal and Mojang is digging their own hole and falling into it. However, I don't remember that I agreed to EULA anywhere, and Mojang is aware of that, that's why they are forcing you to accept it when updating MC to 1.7.10. And because you never really agreed to it, you don't have to worry about it, only till you update to 1.7.10 ofc.
To add onto what Joshkey said, Mojang does realize that servers do need funds in order to stay online and growing, and that people aren't always willing to "donate" to a server if they don't directly get anything back. They're not dumb, and they don't want MC's community to dissipate, so my assumption is that they'll look for a way to create an acceptable way for servers to sustain themselves, but not abuse the system as a few groups have been doing.

JohnnyGoesSmash

Platinum
Reaction score
To add onto what Joshkey said, Mojang does realize that servers do need funds in order to stay online and growing, and that people aren't always willing to "donate" to a server if they don't directly get anything back. They're not dumb, and they don't want MC's community to dissipate, so my assumption is that they'll look for a way to create an acceptable way for servers to sustain themselves, but not abuse the system as a few groups have been doing.
Please can you PM me to a store link where the price is up in the 1000s?

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Please can you PM me to a store link where the price is up in the 1000s?
I really can't do that, because I've never seen one of those personally, and after doing a brief Google search, I couldn't find one. However, you might be able to find one by looking in the description of BeebopVox's (Or however you spell his name) video in which he describes the situation from both the POV of Mojang, and also that of the community.

BlackHead

Career
Reaction score
I really can't do that, because I've never seen one of those personally, and after doing a brief Google search, I couldn't find one. However, you might be able to find one by looking in the description of BeebopVox's (Or however you spell his name) video in which he describes the situation from both the POV of Mojang, and also that of the community.
Personally I don't see any problem with prices up to 1000$ or even 10000000$. There are many other servers which are cheaper, so I don't get why people really bothers with them, as they could play one many many other servers however... So Mojang is a bit dumb in my opinion. Or they could just take this servers down and let other alive.

Edog

Platinum
Reaction score

Ava

Administrator
Reaction score
So you're saying Mojang is at some kind of financial deficit? I really can't begin to explain how wrong that is. Just look at their semi-new offices http://gyazo.com/11398fda3391545eabbb64acb0fac476
Not to mention that Mojang's gross profit after expenses last year was over $123,000,000 (yes, $123 million) USD... they're far from financial problems.

As of December 13, 2013, nearly every public Minecraft server in existence breaks the EULA. Although the EULA has been in place since late 2013, Mojang is just now looking to start enforcing it as of recent. As others have said, you're forced to accept the EULA to run a 1.7.10 server.

So what does this mean for us and 1.8 support? It could mean a few things:
  1. Mojang works out the issue with larger servers and refines their EULA to be fair to both sides, so we can legitimately update to 1.8.
  2. We stay on the temporary solution that we usually use on new Minecraft updates, which is to use a 1.7.9 server (before 1.7.10, so it doesn't force EULA acceptance) that supports 1.8 clients.
  3. We continue breaking the EULA as we (and every other server) are already doing and update to 1.8, hoping that Mojang doesn't actually enforce it.
Either way, MCGamer isn't going down without a fight. We're already doing what we can to fight this "new" EULA and possibly gain an exemption for ourselves. Leave worrying about what happens to MCGamer to us, and just enjoy the game :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci