• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My opinion on school

Silently

Platinum
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Silently Here! Once again for the topic of school.

Ill provide a story and later some advice.

On to the story.

Ever since the middle of the year 6th grade I've been failing school. 55% averages in all my classes. I didn't realize how important 7th grade was in order to get into a good school, unfortunately I failed the marking periods. Failed all 3 except the last one. I advise its extremely stressing to be failing school. Unfortunately I got into the worst schools possible involving Gangs, graffiti, drugs alcohol and anything that can do wrong to you. Fellow kids getting jumped, people carrying knives and stuff. Well back to my story. 8th grade I also did extremely bad and in order to graduate I needed to pass the last 2 marking periods considering I failed the first 2 with 55's. this was the most stressing thing of my life and now I'm in 9th grade in one of the worst schools. But fortunately I'm doing extremely good in honors classes with 85%+ averages,

Advice

Do good in school so it can benefit you guys don't mess up your future like I did. Please I look out for you people by anyways thanks for reading! Also I'm transferring from this terrible school to a way better school due to my grades so its never TOO late to fix your errors. Hopefully you guys actually listen to this. <3

-Silently​

Fireized

Diamond
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're doing well now :) Similar thing happened to me.. I completely screwed up my 7th grade year; DO NOT MESS UP IN 7TH GRADE PEOPLE. It is mainly what high schools look at, they often don't even look at your grades for 8th grade. I'm doing better now with a 3.5~ GPA.

Chobski

Diamond
Reaction score
I have never really understood the system in America, would someone care to explain what words like 'sophmore' and the like mean?

Eden

District 13
Reaction score
I have never really understood the system in America, would someone care to explain what words like 'sophmore' and the like mean?
The American school system basically works like this. We first have grades Pre-kindergarten to 8th Grade. Colleges won't look at your grades from this time, but in some cases, like the one mentioned on this thread, it can get you into better high schools, and this is where your grades count towards College. Now high school is divided into four grades. 9, 10, 11, 12. Otherwise known as freshman, sophmore, junior, and senior years. We have 4 terms and 2 semesters. Two terms per semester with a final for each semester. Now Colleges will only look at your semester grade. I don't know how it is at other schools but at mine each term counts for 40% of your final grade and the grade you get on your final counts for 20%.
There are other things I could talk about with our system, but that is the basics. Of course, I probably missed things here and there. I'm also not sure if you have GPA(grade point average) over where you live because I'm not familiar with other school systems myself :p But if you have any other questions about our system I could probably answer.

This is the scale we are graded on(it can very depending on the school)
A+ 98-100
A 93-97
A 90-92
B+ 87-89
B 83-86
B- 80-82
C+ 77-79
C 73-76
C- 70-72
D+ 67- 69
D 60-66
F 0-59

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
american school stuff is confusing
Here, you basically don't have to care about school until grade 10-11, since that's all colleges look at.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
american school stuff is confusing
Here, you basically don't have to care about school until grade 10-11, since that's all colleges look at.
From a personal standpoint that would be so totally awesome to know that school isn't truly worth anything until two critical years, but I'm glad that our whole high school counts, or else I'd definitely get sloppy and uncaring and when it truly mattered I wouldn't be able to perform the way I would if I needed to make sure to do my best my whole school career.

(Honestly I'm not even sure if what I said made sense, just finished a massive essay and my brain is very mushy right now :C)

MCOnThePCAndrew

Diamond
Reaction score
The american school system doesn't seem very fair :/.
That would be correct. The next grade you go to always contradicts the previous. 50% of the teachers are awful. I had a math teacher at the start of the year in level 1 (Advanced honors). I tanked that class with like a D average. I move down 1 level to level 2's (honors) and I have a 96 (A) average. 1 level shouldn't make a difference. Point is my old teacher wasn't very good.

SonicSplit

Career
Reaction score
To be honest, I think school is important however they need to get rid of homework for the most part. Seriously, I don't want to have to do school work at a place where we are allowed to do a lot of other things with less restrictions :/

MCOnThePCAndrew

Diamond
Reaction score
To be honest, I think school is important however they need to get rid of homework for the most part. Seriously, I don't want to have to do school work at a place where we are allowed to do a lot of other things with less restrictions :/
Or instead of making us take art and useless crap give us like an hour at the end of every day to do homework.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci