• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My thoughts on 1.9 + How to fix PvP

mikag35

Gold
Reaction score
First of all, this thread isn't going to be all that much about good things about 1.9. It's more about how PvP should be fixed and what 1.9 has done wrong so far. Also, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this thread. It feels like it could fit in many places on these forums. But, I want this to be a community discussion, so I'll post it here. Lastly, I'm expecting to get a lot of hate on this, so just don't flame please.

I originally was hopeful for 1.9, and tried to stay that way. But, with the most recent snapshot being released, that hope is slowly leaving in my mind because of the timed hits. It just seems like it would be trading hits and whoever has better stuff will win. As for shields, I think block-hitting was simpler and it's just kind of a waste of time to add this and I think they only really did it to change something because they want to change stuff. The dual-wielding is an interesting idea, but again there's better ways to go about fixing PvP without changing all the mechanics too much like I've said. The only thing I really have liked about the update is the new arrows. The spectral arrows seem cool, and the potion arrows seem a bit OP but also could be used in games like MCSG if they're not implemented in high amounts. It seemed at first like it'd be a good update considering what PvP in Minecraft is right now, but it's going downhill fast. Fixing PvP is so simple (at least in my mind), but just about nobody has thought of this idea and a majority of people I tell disagree with me, likely because they joined after 1.7 and/or just aren't willing to listen.

Which leads in to what I'm about to say, which is that they should remove the sprint button to fix PvP. It might sound stupid at first and that I only want it for the old MCSG nostalgia (because that's mostly what I post about on these forums), but hear me out here. Not only does double-tapping 'w' require more skill than using a sprint key, it also allows for the same PvP mechanics, except again with more skill required.

Combos still exist, but they're just harder to get because every time you get hit you have to double-tap again rather than just being able to hold a key down and keep going and hitting. This also reduces jitterclicking, which is good because this game shouldn't be completely based on clicking speed and connection/ping. You can still use a fishing rod to try and get these combos, but again it requires more skill on both when people rod-spam because every time you get hit with a rod you have to double tap again. If they scrap the current snapshot there will still be block-hitting as well for the people who do that.

If this idea were to be implemented, it would stir up a lot of complaints, but that's because most people don't like change. But most people aren't willing to listen or take chances as well. Whoever sees this will probably disagree, for the same reasons I've said earlier. But maybe, just maybe, if I get the word out there people will listen and maybe Mojang will hear about it and do something. Worst case scenario would be if they implemented the snapshot and removed the sprint button at the same time. Best case would be if they scrapped this whole "recharging" idea with melee and just removed the sprint button and at least see how it goes (and maybe keep the new arrows).

Last edited:

mikag35

Gold
Reaction score
Mcsg is like 70 percent dead to me and with 1.9 I'm guessing I won't even play.
I feel the same, and that's why I'm suggesting this change. I might go around spreading this idea but people will just reject it because they don't want more skill involved because they already think there is lots of skill involved when there really isn't.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
1.9 might as well just be called the Bow Spamming Update. All it does is add OP arrows, while making it so that you can only use your sword ever so often. Seems to me like it is going to completely ruin sword PVP.

That being said, we shouldn't judge it too soon as it is still only in the snapshot phase and a lot could still change. I also encourage people to keep an open mind towards what ever ends up being included in the final update, and be ready to give change a chance. Often people hate change because it puts them out of their comfort zone, but without change nothing will ever progress. We can speak up and try to give Mojang feedback toward 1.9, but at the end of the day what happens happens, and we will have to hope it is a change that the majority of us can adapt to. If not, then I guess we stay with 1.7 until something better is released in the future.

DE5T1NY

Platinum
Reaction score
To be honest, it's quite sad that Mojang are trying to make PvP better and this is what they do. This is clearly targeted to the survival/people that don't give a crap about pvp players.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
The charging is configurable server side
Yeah, if charging is made really quick it could actually be good. It would make macros and jitter clicking less effective, and make it more strategy based.

Punktronica

Tribute
Reaction score
Mcsg is like 70 percent dead to me and with 1.9 I'm guessing I won't even play.
I feel the same, and that's why I'm suggesting this change. I might go around spreading this idea but people will just reject it because they don't want more skill involved because they already think there is lots of skill involved when there really isn't.
1.9 might as well just be called the Bow Spamming Update. All it does is add OP arrows, while making it so that you can only use your sword ever so often. Seems to me like it is going to completely ruin sword PVP.

That being said, we shouldn't judge it too soon as it is still only in the snapshot phase and a lot could still change. I also encourage people to keep an open mind towards what ever ends up being included in the final update, and be ready to give change a chance. Often people hate change because it puts them out of their comfort zone, but without change nothing will ever progress. We can speak up and try to give Mojang feedback toward 1.9, but at the end of the day what happens happens, and we will have to hope it is a change that the majority of us can adapt to. If not, then I guess we stay with 1.7 until something better is released in the future.
The charging is configurable server side
To be honest, it's quite sad that Mojang are trying to make PvP better and this is what they do. This is clearly targeted to the survival/people that don't give a crap about pvp players.
Yeah, if charging is made really quick it could actually be good. It would make macros and jitter clicking less effective, and make it more strategy based.
Okay so things aren't good for the server side BUT one thing is it'll be fun for more people to play in Single Player world and have some fun with a better boss...a new way to finish the game and some new features like shields...the servers may be bad but MCSG can try to make a server where 1.9 is used..not a pvp aspect to it but like a PvE/Survival gamemode where you can have fun instead of doing hardcore pvping

Reaction score
Even though I kinda like your ideas, I don't think they will ever be made, as Microsoft isn't really going to look at a random MC forum and look at the ideas.

Okay so things aren't good for the server side BUT one thing is it'll be fun for more people to play in Single Player world and have some fun with a better boss...a new way to finish the game and some new features like shields...the servers may be bad but MCSG can try to make a server where 1.9 is used..not a pvp aspect to it but like a PvE/Survival gamemode where you can have fun instead of doing hardcore pvping
The thing is Terraria (another block game, it's pretty fun tho) has 10 bosses, while Minecraft has 4. If they wanted to make singleplayer more fun, then they would add bosses and more adventures. The thing that interests them now is make PvP "better" (from these idiot's minds).

Punktronica

Tribute
Reaction score
Even though I kinda like your ideas, I don't think they will ever be made, as Microsoft isn't really going to look at a random MC forum and look at the ideas.

The thing is Terraria (another block game, it's pretty fun tho) has 10 bosses, while Minecraft has 4. If they wanted to make singleplayer more fun, then they would add bosses and more adventures. The thing that interests them now is make PvP "better" (from these idiot's minds).
i see

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Before 1.7 nobody complained about "ping". Nobody had even heard of it, nobody even cared. The introduction of the sprint key brought in some very interesting and new tactics, however at the same time created opportunities for people to create highly advanced hacked clients, since servers stayed on 1.7 for so long.

I don't know what 1.9 will bring, but right now I question what the lead developers of this update are thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci