• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Need Help - Opinions Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
So here's the deal - as of now in terms of handheld devices I have an iPod touch 4th generation that is extremely slow. I've been wanting to upgrade that for awhile, but I've also wanted to get a phone for ages. The problem is that if I were to get a phone I'd have to pay for it and the service with my own money. I didn't want to pay full price for the iPod touch 5th generation that's been out for over 2 years, nor did I want to spend my life savings on an iPhone combined with the $1,500+ yearly contract.

However, last month I stumbled upon a cell phone wireless service company known as Republic Wireless. Basically Republic Wireless offers a no-contract service where you can pay every month for a plan. Best of all, you can receive unlimited texting/calling for only $10 a month! I 100% have the money for that. However, something like this has to come with a drawback. The only drawback is that there is only one phone currently on the Republic Wireless market. The good thing is that it's the Moto X - one of the top phones on the market and rivals the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 5.

I know I definitely want to go with this. However, I'm stuck on what I want to do in terms of actually buying the phone. I really can't decide what I want to do and it's really bugging me so I'm calling upon you guys to help me make a decision. xD

Option 1:
I get the Moto X tonight directly from Republic Wireless. It would cost roughly $299, plus I get the option to fully customize it for free! Normally the customization process would cost an extra $50 but it's been on sale for no extra charge and the sale ends tonight. With this sale, for only $25 extra I could upgrade from the 16 GB to the 32 GB model. However, this sale ends tonight. If I were to do this, I would go completely broke but eventually I would gain money back over time.

If I were to chose this option, I'd have to buy it tonight.

Option 2:
A certified seller on Ebay is offering the Moto X 16 GB model for $199! However, there are drawbacks: the phone is refurbished (however in like new condition I might add), it's only offered in black or white colors, and there is a $15 shipping charge. However, this would save me almost $100 and I'd definitely be able to afford it.

I also have more time to decide by using this option - I wouldn't have to buy it tonight.

Option 3:
I wait to see if the customizable option ever goes on sale again and simply wait it out. ;-; I'd wait until most likely November when I'd probably have a part-time job.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically I have to decide on whether saving money or customizing my device matters more to me. However, I'm not sure if the money factor will be a huge deal in the long run. If I actually get (when I turn 16, of course) the part time job I'm applying for, a few days of work would pay for the extra $100 I'd be paying to customize.

I'd also probably regret in the future not being able to customize it by choosing colors and such when I had the chance.

However, $100 is $100 and could be used towards other things...

Halp me... ;-;

Ewai

Platinum
Reaction score
Always choose the option that you can afford. My question is: How much can you customize it? Is it just the color? If so you should do option 2 as black and white always looks best on phones in the long run... You WILL eventually not care for the color at all!

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Always choose the option that you can afford. My question is: How much can you customize it? Is it just the color? If so you should do option 2 as black and white always looks best on phones in the long run... You WILL eventually not care for the color at all!
In terms of customization I can choose the front, back, and accent colors of the buttons/siding.

Ewai

Platinum
Reaction score
In terms of customization I can choose the front, back, and accent colors of the buttons/siding.
That is expensive for a 100 dollars... I would definitely choose option 2. 16gb is enough (in my opinion) and black/white still looks neat!

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Honestly, that kinda stuff really doesn't matter that much. Eventually, you will not care about or notice those kinda features and I really don't think they're worth $100. However, they might be more important to you, so that's ultimately up to you. The GB difference seems like more of a deal-breaker to me. It depends on how many apps and stuff you want to get. I have 5GB but I still have 1.7 free after a year, but that's because I only have like 20 additional non-starter apps, most of which are rather small. If you don't need a lot of games and stuff you probably won't need much storage.

Also, just be sure you've read up on Republic. There will obviously be drawbacks with low cost and make sure you know all of them before you make a final decision. Good luck with this!

Jon | Lqzer

Platinum
Reaction score
Honestly, that kinda stuff really doesn't matter that much. Eventually, you will not care about or notice those kinda features and I really don't think they're worth $100. However, they might be more important to you, so that's ultimately up to you. The GB difference seems like more of a deal-breaker to me. It depends on how many apps and stuff you want to get. I have 5GB but I still have 1.7 free after a year, but that's because I only have like 20 additional non-starter apps, most of which are rather small. If you don't need a lot of games and stuff you probably won't need much storage.

Also, just be sure you've read up on Republic. There will obviously be drawbacks with low cost and make sure you know all of them before you make a final decision. Good luck with this!
I know what I'm doing. :p

And thanks to everyone that's responded; I'll wait and probably go with the deal that's $100 off! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci