• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

On the Subject of Necro'd threads.

Should mods look over more threads?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

• Nurp

• Yurp

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Aye

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matt_The Dreamer

Mockingjay
Reaction score
"4. Do not grave-dig/necropost: Posting on old threads that serve no purpose is unnecessary and gives people unneeded alerts.

• If a thread has gone one month without any new posts, it is considered old and posting on it will be considered necroposting.
  • If the thread is still relevant and important, necroposting on it is allowed.
  • If the thread has a new update, necroposting on it is allowed."
We all know this rule. The rule of not posting on threads 1 month after the last post. The reason being this would create forum clutter in the form of unneeded alerts and posts. However, what I am looking at today are the two other points underneath.

• If the thread is still relevant and important, necroposting on it is allowed.
  • If the thread has a new update, necroposting on it is allowed.
This is what i'm annoyed about. I've seen many threads closed because they have been posted after the 1 month time span, even though the posts are still relevant to the topic and/or contain a new update. So what i'm asking is, "What actually is the policy of necro threads?". How would you weigh up whether a thread is still relevant or not. Because in my opinion, a big thread with lots of relevant necros is much better than tiny threads asking basically the same thing over and over, creating even more forum clutter than is necessary.

One time a mod said he only closed threads when people complained about the necro. How in hell does that work? People have been conditioned to point out a necro when they see one, it's in the bible of mcsg. It would be part of the 10 commandments as well. "Thou shalt not Grave dig on this site". This doesn't make a necro post any less relevant at all. Mods should have to review the whole thread from start to finish before making a decision on whether to close it or not. Not just whistling on by as he closes threads left and right.

It's gotten to a point where I'm forced to tell mods on threads not to close threads because the thread is still relevant. I'm scared myself of my own threads being locked, as,I am sure, a few others as well.

The Solution

I would call this quite a simple solution. However I am sure this will annoy some people. I would call for mods to fully read a thread before making a decision on whether to close it and to possibly get second opinions on especially hard to figure out cases. It's that simple. Mods should just put more time into their decisions before throwing out threads like it's garbage day. To people who say mods are already overworked with their in game duties. I see more mods just doing nothing than I ever see in game. If they just want to be lazy, please be a non mod like me. Of course, this is no disrespect to the hard working moderators out there. I am sure there are some who know when to close a thread and when not too. And I love you for that <3 (No homo though). So, what is your opinion on this? Should mods pay more attention to threads? Or should it not matter?

Opinions... GO!

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
As soon as this gets legalized, just to screw with the mods I'm going to necro every "supposedly" relevant thread that's died.

Dead threads die for a reason. No need to resurrect them. I don't even agree with the system we have now honestly.

Yin

Discord: prettyyinpink
Reaction score
I think it's fair the way it is. I've never seen a thread that was necro locked when it had an important update.

EvermoreHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm going to necro this thread in a month just for the irony. :p

Reactions: Yin

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Tbh I actually think mods gain satisfaction from locking threads lol.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
While it doesn't happen too much, a lot of times when I see a necro that may still hold some discussion I like to give it a "trial period" before I report it. If anything intelligent happens on the thread after a little while I normally let it go. I think that would be a good thing for moderators to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci