• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Staff "One Year as a Moderator" :')

Whales or Sharks?

• Whales

• Sharks

• Whale Sharks [NEW]

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score

“You were moved”

Three ordinary words out of context. I mean, this could mean anything, said by anyone, anywhere, at any time. However on the MCGamer Teamspeak, on July 19th, 2014 at about 10 a.m. EDT, these words meant a lot. Especially in that deep, rich, male Teamspeak voice. Only then had I realized how truly nervous I was. My head felt like it was in an oven, my arms slowly began to feel the sweat dripping down the bicep from the under-arm area, yep, I was very nervous. At that moment I was a melting pot of mixed emotion, not sure what to do, or in that matter, say. Then Nick (KitMencha) began to speak, introducing himself and the others in my interview room and I slowly started to feel an air of confidence. I had no clue what was about to happen, I’d never made it to the interview stage before but for some odd reason, I knew that I didn’t make it this far just to meet the cold hand of failure. I was going to log off this Teamspeak with the moderator rank, no exceptions. And at that very moment I opened my mouth to speak (with a voice much higher than it is now, may I add), answering the first question of the interview. Then the next, and those following. Racking my brain for the best possible answers while attempting to maintain calm and comprehensible.

By the time I finished answering the last question, I had accumulated quite a bit of sweat. I was then moved back down to the waiting room, where four extraordinary people (Nephilim, Zyinth | Bilzy, Tryhard_Batman, and Ondre) were waiting back there to ask me how it went, because I went first. The five of us had spent the last three hours getting to know each other, sharing our stories, and playing MCSG. All I could do was exhale loudly and choke out a nervous laugh. The “How do you think you did?” questions came like bullets being fired automatically from an MP9 (CS:GO reference anyone?). In my head, I’d have liked to think I did well, but I had my doubts. All those “What-ifs” - What if I answered something wrong, what if I stuttered too much, what if my interview was sub-par, what if this, what if that. Then our conversation became increasingly relaxed as the adrenaline from the interview wore off, we cracked jokes, and someone made a comment about trying not to speak because you didn’t want to be moved back up mid-sentence, and I laughed rather hard at that. Then I was moved.

Standard procedure continued, I was told a bunch of stuff and then was asked to re-log out of Minecraft and back into the MCGamer Hub because Nick wanted to make sure something was working correctly. After piecing together some logical thoughts in my head I thought that there was no way they’d drag me all the way on to the network and go through all this effort just to decline me, so I went along with it. After logging into the hub, I knew I could have “cheated” the system by checking the tab list and seeing if my name was red instead of cyan, but I decided to hold off for dramatic effect. Then I was asked..

“Can you type a dot in chat for me please?”

I had done it. Never before had I gone through such an intense and nerve-wracking procedure for a position, and I began to lose my composure. If my memory serves correct, I thanked @kitmencha, KellieBreanne, and Fletch about a billion times before being moved back down to the waiting room with my new rank to mute my mic to produce tears of joy. After more than a year of trying, hoping, and watching the ways of the staff team I had finally made it on to it myself.

Ever since that day, I have made it my goal to find a way to improve MCGamer. I’ve been here for a long time, and I’ve seen the way the community has changed. One day, I’d like to be able to say we have made the right moves, updates, and improvements to create a happier and more positive player base as well as a smoother-running server by taking value of community suggestions and opinions, as well as looking at numbers and statistics and using those to fine-tune the running of our network.

So there it is. I’ve told this story probably in three different threads, however each time I tell it I feel it’s approached from a different angle and in my opinion, it gets better every time ;)

It’s been a whole year, which is crazy. I can’t wait to see what may be in store for the future of my career here on the staff team, as well as the futures of the staff and the network.

Cool Statistics, Facts, and other Fun Stuff :3

“Back in the day…..”

• Back in the day when I was first hired, there was no “Needs Training” rank for moderators. We had to put it in our teamspeak names manually.
  • Back in the day when I was hired, the Ban Spreadsheet was excruciatingly private. Any sharing of knowledge at all to community members resulted in a demotion.
  • Back in the day when I was hired, the staff team was about 30 members larger than it currently is.
  • Back in the day moderators were not allowed to tell users if their Report Abuses resulted in bans, we were only allowed to say “dealt with appropriately”
  • Back in the day when I first applied for moderator, the application was shorter, involving less questions.

Stats!

• There are only nine moderators currently serving who have been hired before me. After doing some checking, only 6 of those have been serving consecutively longer (meaning that 3 resigned and came back multiple months later)
  • After becoming a moderator, my wins/games ratio in MCSG (on Ceroria) dropped from a ⅓ to now a ⅙. (rip)
  • Of the nine Sr. Mods currently serving, four of them were hired after me.
  • Of the current six administrators, I’ve been on the staff team longer than one. (Although it doesn’t really count because Neph was supposed to be interviewed before me)
  • In my time here as a staff member, I have seen at least 3 people get moderator, be promoted to Sr. Mod, and resign. (Since it’s too much effort to ask for a log of this, I’m just estimating c: )

Freshly

District 13
Reaction score
Cerorororororia! Congrats on your 1 year.
Back in the day when I was first hired, there was no “Needs Training” rank for moderators. We had to put it in our teamspeak names manually.
^ lololol!! It's nice working with you so far C:

edit: Oh, I was first >:]

Last edited:

Divining

Platinum
Reaction score
1 year is such a longer time than we can even think in our minds, especially to be moderating such a large Minecraft network. This thread not only shows your dedication to moderating, but your dedication to the network and its community.

Congratulations on 1 year, and I hope there are many many more. :)

Getix

District 13
Reaction score
Congrats! I hope you'll stay in the community for a long time. :D

BedIntruder

Experienced
Reaction score
i also remember when everyone told their waiting room stories and felt so happy when they got mod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci