• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Paste what you currently have copied!

Sqidward?

• Spongebob

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Sandy

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Patrick

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • WUMBOLOGY SPONGEBOB 1ST GRADE!

Votes: 62 62.6%

• Total voters

Slqme

Survivor
Reaction score
This isn;t too much of a necro, and the game is still relevant, and really fun sooo

Darude - Sandstorm xD

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
I was writing an essay, and copied what I had on gdoc to word for extra spell check. Took out somethings for personal things.

Omer lastname

my teacher

English 3 AS Period 6

10/27/14

An Individualistic Sort of Happiness

The 35th president of the United States of America, President John F. Kennedy once said, “Conformity is the jailer of freedom, and the enemy of growth.” Kennedy, a very prominent figure in the 20th century was a very daring politician who wasn’t afraid to step out of the society to create a better world. Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, along with W H. Auden’s “The Unknown Citizen,” Ursula Le Guin’s “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas,” and Sherry Turkle’s Ted Talk, “Connected, but Alone?” describe a similar experience of happiness not by conformity, but by suffering through individualism. These works support the idea that although conformity leads to contentment, individualism will ultimately lead to true happiness through suffering and struggle.

Conformity is the lack of individuality, leading to contentment. In Brave New World, Lenina Crowne shares many slogans revolving around a drug soma such as, “‘A gramme is always better than a damn,’ she concluded with dignity” (Huxley 90). Huxley uses soma as a symbol of conforming to a society. The society relies on soma as a lifeline, living by it and making choices through it. The citizens are not being individuals and paving their own choices, but merely falling prey to a substance which while it gives them contentment; it is an artificial type of happiness. This artificial happiness is based off of conforming to soma, rather than true happiness, which is an individualistic ideology. Thus, without individualism, one cannot reach true happiness. Likewise, “The Unknown Citizen” by W H. Auden describes a similar society to Brave New World. In the poem, the government displays a deceased man’s contentment by asking, “Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:/ Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard” (W H. Auden 29-30). The man was a typical person, and just like everybody else in the society; he had a normal job, normal intelligence, normal health, normal finance, a normal life. He and the rest of the society give up their individuality for the conformity of having a typical life that comes with a false happiness. His happiness is not questioned because the society assumes he is happy. He must be happy, because he followed all the rules and lead a very normal lifestyle, but this assumption is incorrect, because individualism is the primary source of happiness. Thus, the man’s contentment is not true happiness, but is an artificial happiness. Happiness is not reliant on conformity, only contentment is. Another society, illustrated by in “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas” describes a perfect city where its people “all know that it has to be there… the beauty of their city, the health of their children, even the abundance of their harvest… depended wholly on this child’s abominable misery” (Le Guin). In the story, a society is very successful because they ignore a single child, who has to live in darkness, misery, and pain. The society has a sense of artificial happiness, because the society conforms to the ignorance of the child’s misery. The citizens feed on this conformity and from it, become content. It is not a happiness that relies on realistic values, but rather a false type of happiness. The society feel content that they have such an unimaginable perfect setting, but that contentment is fragile as it relies on the ignorance of a single child’s misery, not their individualism. Their lack of individuality results in an artificial happiness, whose spell can be easily broken. Conformity is a superficial happiness, and only individualism can bring true happiness.

Although individuality can result in negative emotions such as loneliness, it is essential towards genuine happiness. Firstly, in Brave New World, Bernard exclaims to Lenina once she keeps pestering him with slogans of soma, that he would much “‘rather be myself,’...‘Myself and nasty. Not somebody else, however jolly’” (Huxley 89). Huxley uses the repetitive diction of “myself” to assert that Bernard, a very individualistic character, is unhappy because of his rejection of soma. The repetitive use of the word “myself” signifies the importance of one’s self, through repeatedly asserting that Bernard’s statement is his, and only his, and only references himself, rather than the whole of the society. By being individualistic, Bernard demonstrates real emotion which, although negative now, is essential for true happiness because without these raw feelings, genuine happiness can never be obtainable. Natural happiness requires natural emotions, regardless of negativity or positivity. Furthermore, in Sherry Turkle’s TED Talk, Turkle explains technology’s effect on humans and natural loneliness: “...that we will never have to be alone, is central to changing our psyches. Because the moment that people are alone, even for a few seconds, they become anxious, they panic, they fidget, they reach for a device” (Turkle). Turkle describes society’s solution to loneliness, distracting ourselves with technology for short moments, to reject solitude, a very natural feeling. Turkle argues that all these distractions are unhealthy; they are slowly changing our entire psychology around technology, and soon they will change us as social creatures. Solitude is required for human civilization, and solitude requires individuality to be in lonesome, a necessary act. Without this solitude, humans will conform to a society of distractions and take on a whole new philosophy, one without legitimate feelings. Humanity requires natural feelings of suffering to be happy, feelings only accessible through an individual’s solitude. Finally, in Brave New World, individualist John tells the society’s leader Mustafa Mond a story about “the Girl of Màtaski. The young men who wanted to marry her had to do a morning’s hoeing in her garden… there were flies and mosquitoes, magic ones. Most of the young men could not stand the biting and the stinging. But the ones that could-he got the girl,” a story from his home Indian reservation (Huxley 238). Huxley metaphorically compares the Indian story to true happiness. The story tells of men who try to win a girl’s hand in marriage by stepping out of their peers and their own comfort, and survive the painful drilling of magical bugs while farming her land; however, the only men who win the girl, are the ones who are brave enough to resist the bugs. Similarly, true happiness is obtained in a very close way. One must step out of his society’s norm, and remain resilient through the suffering of one’s journey to genuine happiness. Huxley compares these ideas to assert that happiness is not obtainable via a drug, but rather a lifetime of struggles. Struggle and suffering through individualism are but precursors to legitimate happiness.

Like JKF, who spoke up and brought greater living standards to international countries, people must remember that being an individual is the way to a better life. Citizens must remember that though conformity creates contentment, individualism creates suffering, which in turn creates true happiness. The society now is rapidly and constantly changing, introducing new thoughts, new advancements, new generations of citizens, and new governments. Citizens subject themselves to multiple opportunities of conformity, yet they must not take it, for being true to one's individualism is the only way to reach genuine happiness. Citizens must refrain from conformity to reject a type of society of superficial happiness, and create a much better world, where individuality is precious, rather than the society.

Works Cited

Auden, W. H. Collected Shorter Poems, 1927-1957. New York, NY: Random House, 1967. Print.

"Connected, but Alone?" Sherry Turkle:. Web. 26 Oct. 2014. <http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together>.

Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World. New York: Harper & Bros., 1946. Print.

K., Le Guin Ursula. The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas. Mankato, MN: Creative Education, 1993. Print.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
I was writing an essay, and copied what I had on gdoc to word for extra spell check. Took out somethings for personal things.

Omer lastname

my teacher

English 3 AS Period 6

10/27/14

An Individualistic Sort of Happiness

The 35th president of the United States of America, President John F. Kennedy once said, “Conformity is the jailer of freedom, and the enemy of growth.” Kennedy, a very prominent figure in the 20th century was a very daring politician who wasn’t afraid to step out of the society to create a better world. Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, along with W H. Auden’s “The Unknown Citizen,” Ursula Le Guin’s “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas,” and Sherry Turkle’s Ted Talk, “Connected, but Alone?” describe a similar experience of happiness not by conformity, but by suffering through individualism. These works support the idea that although conformity leads to contentment, individualism will ultimately lead to true happiness through suffering and struggle.

Conformity is the lack of individuality, leading to contentment. In Brave New World, Lenina Crowne shares many slogans revolving around a drug soma such as, “‘A gramme is always better than a damn,’ she concluded with dignity” (Huxley 90). Huxley uses soma as a symbol of conforming to a society. The society relies on soma as a lifeline, living by it and making choices through it. The citizens are not being individuals and paving their own choices, but merely falling prey to a substance which while it gives them contentment; it is an artificial type of happiness. This artificial happiness is based off of conforming to soma, rather than true happiness, which is an individualistic ideology. Thus, without individualism, one cannot reach true happiness. Likewise, “The Unknown Citizen” by W H. Auden describes a similar society to Brave New World. In the poem, the government displays a deceased man’s contentment by asking, “Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:/ Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard” (W H. Auden 29-30). The man was a typical person, and just like everybody else in the society; he had a normal job, normal intelligence, normal health, normal finance, a normal life. He and the rest of the society give up their individuality for the conformity of having a typical life that comes with a false happiness. His happiness is not questioned because the society assumes he is happy. He must be happy, because he followed all the rules and lead a very normal lifestyle, but this assumption is incorrect, because individualism is the primary source of happiness. Thus, the man’s contentment is not true happiness, but is an artificial happiness. Happiness is not reliant on conformity, only contentment is. Another society, illustrated by in “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas” describes a perfect city where its people “all know that it has to be there… the beauty of their city, the health of their children, even the abundance of their harvest… depended wholly on this child’s abominable misery” (Le Guin). In the story, a society is very successful because they ignore a single child, who has to live in darkness, misery, and pain. The society has a sense of artificial happiness, because the society conforms to the ignorance of the child’s misery. The citizens feed on this conformity and from it, become content. It is not a happiness that relies on realistic values, but rather a false type of happiness. The society feel content that they have such an unimaginable perfect setting, but that contentment is fragile as it relies on the ignorance of a single child’s misery, not their individualism. Their lack of individuality results in an artificial happiness, whose spell can be easily broken. Conformity is a superficial happiness, and only individualism can bring true happiness.

Although individuality can result in negative emotions such as loneliness, it is essential towards genuine happiness. Firstly, in Brave New World, Bernard exclaims to Lenina once she keeps pestering him with slogans of soma, that he would much “‘rather be myself,’...‘Myself and nasty. Not somebody else, however jolly’” (Huxley 89). Huxley uses the repetitive diction of “myself” to assert that Bernard, a very individualistic character, is unhappy because of his rejection of soma. The repetitive use of the word “myself” signifies the importance of one’s self, through repeatedly asserting that Bernard’s statement is his, and only his, and only references himself, rather than the whole of the society. By being individualistic, Bernard demonstrates real emotion which, although negative now, is essential for true happiness because without these raw feelings, genuine happiness can never be obtainable. Natural happiness requires natural emotions, regardless of negativity or positivity. Furthermore, in Sherry Turkle’s TED Talk, Turkle explains technology’s effect on humans and natural loneliness: “...that we will never have to be alone, is central to changing our psyches. Because the moment that people are alone, even for a few seconds, they become anxious, they panic, they fidget, they reach for a device” (Turkle). Turkle describes society’s solution to loneliness, distracting ourselves with technology for short moments, to reject solitude, a very natural feeling. Turkle argues that all these distractions are unhealthy; they are slowly changing our entire psychology around technology, and soon they will change us as social creatures. Solitude is required for human civilization, and solitude requires individuality to be in lonesome, a necessary act. Without this solitude, humans will conform to a society of distractions and take on a whole new philosophy, one without legitimate feelings. Humanity requires natural feelings of suffering to be happy, feelings only accessible through an individual’s solitude. Finally, in Brave New World, individualist John tells the society’s leader Mustafa Mond a story about “the Girl of Màtaski. The young men who wanted to marry her had to do a morning’s hoeing in her garden… there were flies and mosquitoes, magic ones. Most of the young men could not stand the biting and the stinging. But the ones that could-he got the girl,” a story from his home Indian reservation (Huxley 238). Huxley metaphorically compares the Indian story to true happiness. The story tells of men who try to win a girl’s hand in marriage by stepping out of their peers and their own comfort, and survive the painful drilling of magical bugs while farming her land; however, the only men who win the girl, are the ones who are brave enough to resist the bugs. Similarly, true happiness is obtained in a very close way. One must step out of his society’s norm, and remain resilient through the suffering of one’s journey to genuine happiness. Huxley compares these ideas to assert that happiness is not obtainable via a drug, but rather a lifetime of struggles. Struggle and suffering through individualism are but precursors to legitimate happiness.

Like JKF, who spoke up and brought greater living standards to international countries, people must remember that being an individual is the way to a better life. Citizens must remember that though conformity creates contentment, individualism creates suffering, which in turn creates true happiness. The society now is rapidly and constantly changing, introducing new thoughts, new advancements, new generations of citizens, and new governments. Citizens subject themselves to multiple opportunities of conformity, yet they must not take it, for being true to one's individualism is the only way to reach genuine happiness. Citizens must refrain from conformity to reject a type of society of superficial happiness, and create a much better world, where individuality is precious, rather than the society.

Works Cited

Auden, W. H. Collected Shorter Poems, 1927-1957. New York, NY: Random House, 1967. Print.

"Connected, but Alone?" Sherry Turkle:. Web. 26 Oct. 2014. <http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together>.

Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World. New York: Harper & Bros., 1946. Print.

K., Le Guin Ursula. The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas. Mankato, MN: Creative Education, 1993. Print.
This puts Mooclan to shame. ;)

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
it actually does tho omg i was reading through it like 'what omer why dont you do this on the forums'
I actually write essays like this a lot for school. I just do it so often at school that I hate doing it on the forums because I'm extremely lazy outside of school.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I actually write essays like this a lot for school. I just do it so often at school that I hate doing it on the forums because I'm extremely lazy outside of school.
I suppose, in school you're provided with a clear and defined topic, as well as sources with which you can do research. On the forums, there's no need for such formality, referencing, and extensive use of advanced vocabulary - after all, you're trying to talk to 12-16 year old people, not a 30+ year old teacher.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
I suppose, in school you're provided with a clear and defined topic, as well as sources with which you can do research. On the forums, there's no need for such formality, referencing, and extensive use of advanced vocabulary - after all, you're trying to talk to 12-16 year old people, not a 30+ year old teacher.
I guess I'll post one of these essays sometime if anyone is really interested in seeing it anyways. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci