• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Ping and Reach

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Hello everyone
So as many of you probably know, it is quite common to associate ping and reach in a sort of "OMG HE HAZ GUT PNIG L00K AT THAT REACH11!!!".
In reality ping doesn't effect/affect (still don't get the difference lol) reach.
Check out my video on this topic here and make sure to comment down below what your opinion is

ZaderPlays

Spectator
Reaction score
In 1.8, ping isn't that big of a deal now. My ping is 24ms, which is the usual for most people, but I get some amazing combos sometimes, and sometimes can't get any hits. It's all up to chance (AND DA SKILL DAT THOSE SKRUUBZ DONT HAVE)

K

KiDD

Yeah, no, ping doesn't affect reach. The reason people think it may is because the better the ping, the faster the hits register. You won't even know someone hit you a few milliseconds before it registers because they have a fast connection. So I guess that's what they call "reach". Simply because it seems as if they're getting hits from further away. Not further, just faster.

HadEnough

Spectator
Reaction score
Ping = The time taken for the connection to reach the host.
That's why, like Pixel said, the hits and rods are delayed. Its just a common myth that people think is right and therefore say, "Omg you got a 10000 block hit because of your ping..."
It doesn't really bother me though.

Darkyy

Experienced
Reaction score
In 1.8, ping isn't that big of a deal now. My ping is 24ms, which is the usual for most people, but I get some amazing combos sometimes, and sometimes can't get any hits. It's all up to chance (AND DA SKILL DAT THOSE SKRUUBZ DONT HAVE)
Just so you know, 24 ms isn't average, I don't know what world you live in.

Wynexo

Spectator
Reaction score
ZaderPlays, your argument and your thesis makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever. Your hits and other such actions in Minecraft on MultiPlayer servers rely mainly on your Location, and your Ping Zone. Like Darkyy said, if you think 24ms if common, you're mistaken. Quite frankly, most players on the MCSG Servers average around 80ms-120ms. I get around 80ms-90ms, which is decent. Your hits are not "random."

TSGLuke

Platinum
Reaction score
I personally get about 50 ping. Thanks for the informative video though! I guess I've been thinking about Ping/Reach in a totally different way compared to how the reality of the mechanics work. On a side note, how did you calculate the logistic of the exact block range, ex: 3.8.

Aidan

Platinum
Reaction score
I get bad ping because I live east coast, but for some reasons if I get lower advantage and use my rod well I can get like 5-6 hit combos and destroy my opponent :3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci