• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Please Help! The Games Are Pointless (for me) until this is fixed D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score
The current version of Java is 1.7.0_04

A friend of mine had this problem as well.
What we did to fix it was to force Minecraft to run off of 64-bit Java, as it uses 32-bit by default (or you may not even have 64-bit installed).

For this to work, you need these:
1. Your operating system has to be 64-bit (I'm going to assume 64-bit Windows 7 or Vista for this)

2. You need to download Minecraft.jar (as opposed to the .exe, I would also delete the .minecraft folder for a clean install. Make sure you save all of your servers/worlds if you have any!)
- Go to http://minecraft.net and log in
- Go under the download section and click 'show all platforms'
- Download minecraft.jar under 'Minecraft for Linux/Other'

3. You need to download the latest version of Java, both 32-bit and 64-bit
- Go to http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
- Download both 'Windows Offline (32-bit)' and 'Windows Offline (64-bit)'
- You download both of them as most web browsers are only 32-bit

After you have these three things, you'll need to do the following.

1. Take the Minecraft.jar and put it in it's own folder (for organization!)
2. Right click Minecraft.jar and select "make shortcut" (it should create it in the same folder)
3. Now, right click the SHORTCUT and choose "properties"
4. In the properties, go to the 'Shortcut' tab and go to where it says 'Target:"
5. In "Target:" type the following exactly:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
( This is what directs minecraft to run using 64-bit java with 1gb of RAM. )
6. Run minecraft through the shortcut and hope it solves your problem! (make sure you're running the shortcut and not the .jar)

Hope this works out for you (it's a bit complicated, but it does help on older computers)
If you want to reinstall Optifine follow the instructions for the .jar and not the .exe (I don't use it so I'm not too sure)

Kagegami

Spectator
Reaction score
Thanks once more for all the help.

Sentaul, i have not tried your solution yet but before i do, must i have a 64 bit system for that to work?

Kagegami

Spectator
Reaction score
Thanks once more for all the help.

Sentaul, i have not tried your solution yet but before i do, must i have a 64 bit system for that to work?

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score
Yes, you can't run 64-bit java unless you're on a 64-bit system.
If you're running on a 32-bit system, then simply switching to 64-bit (if your hardware allows) will probably give you a good bit of performance increase by itself

Squallboogie

Tribute
Reaction score
Yeah, the only solution I know of is getting a 64 bit java, along with more than 3 gigs of memory on your system. All my friends that I got to play MCSG with me, always crashed until I told them to update to 63 bit java, mind you they had lots of ram and 64 bit windows.

Kagegami

Spectator
Reaction score
well if you would like to know, i have:

-a 32 bit system
-3 GB ram
-32 bit java

I'll see if i can get 64 bit java.

Thanks again

KcazFM3

Spectator
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Sentaul, I tried what you suggested, but when I try to type what you've written it tells me that the name "C:\Program " is not valid. What am I doing wrong? I feel like I might be missing something obvious...

I have 64 bit Windows 7, by the way.

Onyx Reaper

Spectator
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Sentaul, I tried what you suggested, but when I try to type what you've written it tells me that the name "C:\Program " is not valid. What am I doing wrong? I feel like I might be missing something obvious...

You have to put in the speech marks ( " ) as well. Ensure you're entering the entire piece of text
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame

EDIT: If you haven't got the most recent java installed, jre7 might not exist, change the number at the end to the version you have installed (for me it's version 6, so I have jre6 instead)

EDIT2: Obviously if for whatever reason you renamed your Program Files folder to something else, or Java is located in a different folder, change the path to accommodate the changed name/location.

Sentaul

Tribute
Reaction score

Are you sure you have Java 7 and not Java 6? That error message is saying that it can't find the folder where Java 7 is (supposed) to be installed in. I would go through the file path (open up c:, navigate to program files, ect.) and see that the filepath is correct.

KcazFM3

Spectator
Reaction score
You have to put in the speech marks ( " ) as well. Ensure you're entering the entire piece of text

EDIT: If you haven't got the most recent java installed, jre7 might not exist, change the number at the end to the version you have installed (for me it's version 6, so I have jre6 instead)

EDIT2: Obviously if for whatever reason you renamed your Program Files folder to something else, or Java is located in a different folder, change the path to accommodate the changed name/location.
Yes, I think that was the problem. I wasn't including the first quotation mark I think.

Are you sure you have Java 7 and not Java 6? That error message is saying that it can't find the folder where Java 7 is (supposed) to be installed in. I would go through the file path (open up c:, navigate to program files, ect.) and see that the filepath is correct.

Yes, I have java 7. I got it to work now, no errors with the shortcut, but I am still having the error in Minecraft.

ohhhhh waitaminute. Haha, my error is different from the original poster's. I'm getting the
"exception: java.io.IOException: Received string length longer than maximum allow ..." error. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci