• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Pokémon Gen 1 Playthrough: (Plus a lesson on Gen 1)

Which starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
So to cut to the chase, watching Pokémon Origins really got me pumped and wanting to
  • play a 1st Gen game again,
  • complete it through Catching Mewtwo,
    • Possibly attempt to obtain all the Pokemon obtainable in the Version
      • (Including Mew, glitches are fun :p)
      • (excluding the 2 eevee forms, the Hitmon, the other fossil, and the 2 starters I don't choose)
    • all on a the real console
    • on the real cartridge.

I will be playing Japanese Pokemon Blue on the GameBoy Color. Since it is technically a different game (read explanation below), and even though I own it, I've never played it before.
I will be allowing myself to trade with my other cartridges to get trade evolutions. I'm probably going to try to get all the obtainable Pokemon.

And if you guys are really interested I'll post updates on my progress with pictures in this thread. Otherwise, I'll be doing so through status updates.

Before the war on what the differences between the JP and International Versions of Red and Blue/Green are starts, I'll just state the facts:
Bulbapedia said:
Japanese Release:
  • Japan had Red and Green at first, which had different front sprites for the Pokemon, more difficult caves, and more bugs than the International Release.
  • Pokemon Blue was later released in Japan, which had:
    • redesigned and generally more liked sprites for the Pokemon, many look quite different
      • (though the back sprites weren't changed, which is easy to tell sometimes)
        • ex. Here's old Koffing: (Click to enlarge)
    • version exclusives are different
      • (meaning you need to trade with the other two to complete the Pokedex)
    • different trades
    • other visual changes
    • Changed layout of Cerulean Cave
    • different game corner prizes,
    • Jigglypuff replaced Nidorino in the intro
    • Pokemon that were in-game trade only in Red and Green could be caught in the wild.
    • Use the fixed Lavender Town music
      • (Red and Green soon started shipping with a updated version of the game that had fixed the music, and I'm not sure what else.)
The International release: They did a number of things, such as:
  • Use the fixed Lavender Town music
  • Implement some changes introduced in Blue:
    • Used the redesigned Sprites and tiles from Pokemon Blue for this release.
    • Decided to go with "Red and Blue" instead of "Red and Green"
      • Apparently because they thought that using Blue instead of Green would be liked better overseas. (Least I read that somewhere)
    • They used the overhauled version of Cerulean Cave
    • Bugfixes
    • Pokemon Blue uses the Jigglypuff intro, whereas Red kept the Nidorino version of the intro
So effectively, Japanese Green and International Blue are basically the same game, and the real Blue wasn't released outside of Japan.

I may have left some stuff out, but this is enough for people to get the gist of it.
(You can watch Pokemon Origins here if you're interested, I'll post a subbed link when it gets subbed.)
youtu.be/h4jT7JtqPZM
(I would embed the video, but the thumbnail is a HUGE spoiler)

Last edited:

flyon21

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Heres the team you have to get

Vensaur
Arcanine
Lapras
Hitmonchan
Gengar
Dragonite

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Heres the team you have to get

Vensaur
Arcanine
Lapras
Hitmonchan
Gengar
Dragonite
I'm all up for suggestions, but for the most part I'm probably just going to go with whatever I feel like.

I might setup a Pole for what starter, what Eeveelution, and what Hitmon I should get after we pick the game. Otherwise we could just have suggestions going in the posts.

That reminds me, I will be allowing myself to trade with my other cartridges to get trade evolutions. I'm probably going to try to get all the obtainable Pokemon. (excluding the other 2 eevee forms, the other Hitmon, the other fossil, and the other 2 starters)

Last edited:

flyon21

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm all up for suggestions, but for the most part I'm probably just going to go with whatever I feel like.

I might setup a Pole for what starter, what Eeveelution, and what Hitmon I should get after we pick the game. Otherwise we could just have suggestions going in the posts.

That reminds me, I will be allowing myself to trade with my other cartridges to get trade evolutions. I'm probably going to try to get all the obtainable Pokemon. (excluding the other 2 eevee forms, the other Hitmon, and the other 2 starters)
But that led me to win a tourney with that team, got 3000 bucks off it. I blew it all on stuff when I was 9 :c

DPinky

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Don't you need to trade to get some Pokemon? I remember back in grade 4, buying a transfer cable and trading with my friends so I could get Alacazam and Gengar. I might be wrong.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Don't you need to trade to get some Pokemon? I remember back in grade 4, buying a transfer cable and trading with my friends so I could get Alacazam and Gangar. I might be wrong.
You're right, I have a link cable so I can do the trades to get the pokemon I need, only ones that will be trouble will be the other 2 eevee forms, the other Hitmon, the other fossil, and the other 2 starters I don't pick. and the ones that just aren't catchable in that version of the game.
(not planning on just trading everything over, that takes away the fun.)

DPinky

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
You're right, Have a link cable so I can do the trades to get the pokemon I need, only ones that will be trouble will be the other 2 eevee forms, the other Hitmon, the other fossil, and the other 2 starters I don't pick.
and the ones that just aren't catchable in the game. (not planning on just trading everything over, that takes away the fun.
Just beat the game 3 times xD. Trade the Pokemon that you can only get one time to a different game. Then repeat that is what I did to get all 250 of them (not including Mew) in Fire Red.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Just beat the game 3 times xD. Trade the Pokemon that you can only get one time to a different game. Then repeat that is what I did to get all 250 of them (not including Mew) in Fire Red.
I'm not going to go through that much trouble. I think by the time I start the second play through, all the excitement from watching Pokemon origins would have worn off.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Alright, closing the poll, despite Red being in the lead, I'll play Japanese Pokemon Blue on the GameBoy Color.
Since it is technically a different game (read explanation), and even though I own it, I've never played it before.
Now, a pole for which starter.

flyon21

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Alright, closing the poll, despite Red being in the lead, I'll play Japanese Pokemon Blue on the GameBoy Color.
Since it is technically a different game (read explanation), and even though I own it, I've never played it before.
Now, a pole for which starter.
You got something against Squirtle?

flyon21

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
How do you say that? Squirtle is adorable. And I did post saying I'll be playing Blue, which has Blastoise on the front.
I looked at the poll before Squirtle was an option xD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci