• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Possible Idea Regarding Abuse Punishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Lebron12 here, and once again I am back with another proposal thread. My past few threads after re-reading them seemed slightly bias, and I have no clue how this one will will look.
Before I begin, I would like to give credit to FjRI || Catty for coming up with the initial idea for this thread.

With this current system for abuse punishments, you have three chances before you are permanently banned from the servers for (Abuse - Third Offense). After all, when people see this, they become infuriated at the fact that they can no longer play on the servers on that account. Their first instinct will be to rage and yell at the staff team that they were banned because they abused other over the internet, and that they shouldn't be banned in the first place. Then, if they care enough they will just come back to the servers on an anonymous account, or just start using alts to cause havoc on the servers.
This is where the proposal comes in. Instead of issuing a direct permanent ban when I player reaches three offences, instead a compromise could be to instead give the player a permanent mute after three bans, being 1 day, 3 days, and 7 days, and for a 4th offense, deliver a permanent mute. By doing this it already gives the player three warnings to fix their conduct.

By permanently muting players instead of banning them, it will still encourage them to use an alt to bypass it, but the same thing will happen if they are banned. In the long run of these servers, players who have good stats and a lot of wins who end up getting muted, instead of resorting to an alt and starting again, they will most likely continue to play on the muted account.
From what I have heard from people, this could just be the minority, but some players from AU that I know of have quit the servers just because of the system it uses and others say the rules are "Too Strict."
If the player is permanently muted instead of banned, then if they continue to use that account, then there is no way they can continue to spread their toxic nature through the community, however they will still be able to enjoy the game.
With this idea being brought up, lets look at its possible Perks and Cons.

Perks:
- Will keep players on the servers longer if they know they won't just be forced out if they continuously slip in their wording in chat
- Will reduce banned players from abuse using alts constantly as players will probably continue to use the acc as it would take time to reach where they previously were.
(List Subject to Possible Update.)

Cons:
- May cause abuse to happen more often as players wouldn't be at the risk of being permanently banned.
- Players will use alts to avoid the mute. (Players do this to avoid bans anyway.)
(List Subject to Possible Update.)

All I am asking at this point is for this idea to be looked at as a possibility. If this idea actually meets a possible agreement, it still has a lot of room to be tweaked anyway to give it the best and most efficient process.
Sorry if this thread seems bias in any way or seems to look negatively in the current system of the servers.

If this thread is placed in the wrong section, I would kindly ask if a mod reading this could move it to the appropriate section.
Thanks.

J

District 13
Reaction score
It's definitely a unique way of handling abuse, but I do like it. Players are given chances after being banned and if they still continue, it would result in a permanent mute. In my opinion, I do like the idea of giving out permanent mutes as many players rage in-game. Especially in MCGamer, probably the most toxic community in Minecraft, many players will say that kind of stuff to others and will possibly get permanently banned in this case. If they do get a permanent mute like you said, they will still continue to play on this server instead of using an alternate account (cough cough iBeat) which may help the server in the long run.

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score
Honestly, people know the rules of the server by now. If you break the rules once, I can see giving out a 1 day ban or whatever, but, if you break it a 2nd time, you clearly are aware of the rules(since you were banned b4 for it), which tells me that you are purposely and carelessly doing it. I don't like awarding people more chances when they clearly know the rules and are purposely breaking them in hopes to not get caught by staff.

This is why I LOVED the no tolerance hacking policy. By now, in the minecraft pvp environment, you know that any kind of hacked client is more than likely going to be bannable. People really have no excuses anymore. Even new players can CLEARLY look at the rules to find out things you are uncertain of.

People are always going to use alt accounts. Whether or not their ban is justified or not. Ibeat clearly broke the rules, yet look, he keeps playing on alt claiming he should be unbanned and that the community is leaving because of him, when HE HIMSELF hasn't even left.

My advice, just follow the rules, and these things won't effect you at all.

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
Or you could just not abuse other players in the first place.

For those who have played to get high on the leaderboards should know the rules by now and are stupid enough in the first place in getting banned over something that in all honesty is really easy to avoid. Most players that do ban evade end up actually not being as bad as they used to be or they get caught really quickly. There are rare cases when a perm banned alt hasn't improved their behaviour and never got punished on that account.

I like the general idea but just follow the rules geez it's not that hard. Perm banned accounts are quite a rare case and Those who have been perm banned for abuse are really abusive players (suprise suprise) that deserve to be removed from the servers due to them being too hurtful to other community members.

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score

For those who have played to get high on the leaderboards should know the rules by now and are stupid enough in the first place in getting banned over something that in all honesty is really easy to avoid. Most players that do ban evade end up actually not being as bad as they used to be or they get caught really quickly. There are rare cases when a perm banned alt hasn't improved their behaviour and never got punished on that account.

I like the general idea but just follow the rules geez it's not that hard. Perm banned accounts are quite a rare case and Those who have been perm banned for abuse are really abusive players (suprise suprise) that deserve to be removed from the servers due to them being too hurtful to other community members.
sorta what I said lol

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
Honestly, people know the rules of the server by now. If you break the rules once, I can see giving out a 1 day ban or whatever, but, if you break it a 2nd time, you clearly are aware of the rules(since you were banned b4 for it), which tells me that you are purposely and carelessly doing it. I don't like awarding people more chances when they clearly know the rules and are purposely breaking them in hopes to not get caught by staff.
Well instead of going on about the possible extended abuse punishment phase, just replace the 3rd offense with the Mute instead of the extra "life". That fixes that.

FjRI || Catty

Career
Reaction score

True, but wouldn't you say that banning everyone just increases flame/toxicity?
It's definitely a unique way of handling abuse, but I do like it. Players are given chances after being banned and if they still continue, it would result in a permanent mute. In my opinion, I do like the idea of giving out permanent mutes as many players rage in-game. Especially in MCGamer, probably the most toxic community in Minecraft, many players will say that kind of stuff to others and will possibly get permanently banned in this case. If they do get a permanent mute like you said, they will still continue to play on this server instead of using an alternate account (cough cough iBeat) which may help the server in the long run.
I agree with what you've said here :)
This plan has flaws but I see it working. iBeat does bring in an audience and potential players so I feel like this could work both ways for the staff and the players. Also, I think it should be pointed out that most people on this server are at an age where they know what abuse is so, yes it is not acceptable that they do it. However, punishments are meant to teach a lesson. Wouldn't people just be more stubborn if they were banned?

Last edited:

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
In dealing with players, I like how this is brought up. In general when dealing with toxicity, it's better not to treat them harshly. If we give a toxic player a less harsh and impersonal punishment, and more explanation , they're more likely to come back with a more positive attitude. Our current ban system can sometimes be harsh, leading to little effect for attitude correction, however it's an obvious rule to not go out and harass or abuse others. If someone's been banned for abuse, I can't understand why they'd come back and immediately abuse someone again unless they're stubborn or angry that they were treated impersonally by MCGamer's punishment system.

I've spoken on the behalf of reforming toxicity punishments before, and it wouldn't hurt to do so again. I'll see what I can do for making a change :)

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score
Well instead of going on about the possible extended abuse punishment phase, just replace the 3rd offense with the Mute instead of the extra "life". That fixes that.
I honestly don't think their should be 3rd offenses. If you can't learn from your first mistake.. then shame on you.

Lebron12

Quantum
Reaction score
I honestly don't think their should be 3rd offenses. If you can't learn from your first mistake.. then shame on you.
Well, some people do tend to make mistakes, and if the system was made stricter for abuse, instead of players getting abused, it would be the staff.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
Perhaps make it so that there's a duration in between punishments that will increase the said punishment. This will make it so that the punished have a higher chance of being an accident after the said duration, than on purpose, alleviating the people raging saying that it's not their fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci