• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Protecting Yourself From a DDoS Attack

Was this helpful?

• Total voters

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
I know from past experience, that whether it be from a cranky clan after a loss, or a "professional hacker", DDoS'ing is a real threat on MCGamer.

Q- First off, what is a DDoS Attack?
A- There are two types of internet take-down attacks, DoS Attacks, and DDoS Attacks.

Q- What's a DoS Attack?
A- A Denial of Service (DoS) Attack is when a single computer sends an enormous amount of data packets to a server. The server gets overwhelmed with this new information and crashes. A DoS attack can be stopped with basic software, or a strong internet connection.

Q- What's a DDoS Attack?
A- Well, a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Attack is a much more serious attack, and is a federal offensive (In The USA) carrying a hefty fine. A DDoS Attack is the same as a DoS attack, except on a massive scale. The same principles apply: a device overloads a server with tons of information. The difference is that hundreds, even THOUSANDS of "botnets" send out this data. This means, that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to stop once it has started because there are multiply sources to defend from.

Q- You said it's a federal offense?!
A- Yes. If you have received any sort of threat, contact your local authorities directly. NOTE: DO NOT use 911, call your police department.

Q- IM UNDER ATTACK!!!!
  • Well, if you are certain you are under attack call your ISP and have them investigate.
  • Go unplug your source of internet access and wait for about 5-10 minutes. Give the system time to reboot.
  • If your ISP can't do anything, call this number: +1 (866) 250 7659. That is the number to the Incapsula DDoS Protection Center.

Q- I haven't been attacked but I'm afraid I may be...
  • Contact your ISP and have them change your IP to dynamic instead of static. A dynamic IP resets itself every time your modem is reset.
  • Get Prolexic, a free DDoS Protection Service
  • Do not give your IP to anyone you do not trust or have come into contact with directly.
  • This means you should not add people you don't know to your Hamachi or Minecraft server, if they are using your personal IP.
  • Encode your IP where possible; On TeamSpeak 3, your IP is hidden by default and only Server Admins can view it. If you feel your security may be compromised by their power, contact other server admin for assistance.
  • Use buffers: Although Google Fiber may blast grandma's router from the water, a router acts as a gateway to your modem. I don't suggest you buy 100 routers for added security, but instead of a direct connection to your modem, routers can absorb more of your info.

Reaction score
Nice Guide dude! Pretty useful as well, considering just about anyone can buy a DDOSer lately, and younger immature people are acquiring them! >.<

Nephilim

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Really helpful thread! I now understand how D(D)oS Attacks actually work and how I should prevent myself from getting attacked. :)

WeiBeX

Platinum
Reaction score
I found this very helpful and I did not know most of the stuff! Thank you! :)

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
We already have a guide in the Community Guides section, but this was still useful. :D

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
Ask your ISP to switch from a static IP to a dynamic IP? I see how that would resolve DDoS issues, but that's a bit absurd.

Here's a two-step solution that solves all your wonderful DDoS woes:

1. Ask your ISP to RELEASE your current IP if you have a static IP. Having a static IP might be beneficial for you down the line. If you have a dynamic IP, manually release your IP or reset your modem until you're assigned a new IP.

2. Buy a VPN, use it and forget about people DDoSing you.

Rinse and repeat if you find that someone's snagged your real IP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci