• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Punishing for "like boosting"? - Community opinion

Do you agree on the current situation of people getting banned and likes removed for that?

• Total voters

Renoilj

Career
Reaction score

Hello boys and girls of the MCGamer!

So recently it has been coming to my attention that a lot of people have been punished for liking or achieving likes here on the forums. The MCGamer staff justifies it by calling it "like boosting". People have been banned and some forumers lost up to 3000 likes.
__
Such thing is nowhere to be found on the official rules thread. When I asked staff about it, they called it an "Unspoken rule made clear by Freshly". That's interesting, isn't it?
If you punish for something, the people must be made aware that they are breaking a rule first. How is a community member able to know that liking posts is against the rules? I personally didn't have a Freshly informing me about this "Unspoken rule". Did you guys?
To sum it up: Staff is punishing people for a "rule", noone is able to know about.
__
Then we got the question: Can you actually punish for liking one's post?? Isn't that the act of showing appreciation to someone? Isn't that the way to show you like the content someone posts? Isn't that the goal of many forumers to get a good like/post ratio to show that they are great forumers and people can follow them to receive their great content??
__
Yes some people try to "boost" themselves up by using alt accounts. I think I don't have to tell you that this is not the right thing to do and this actually is stated in the rules. I think we all here agree on that.

To stress my point, I want to give you a quote from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the UN:
Article 19.
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
Doesn't that mean I can show everyone my opinion of liking someone's content or showing that I agree on what he said?
Is MCGamer staff ignoring Human Rights? Yes some Mods and even some Sr. Mods are still young, but you cannot punish someone for the simple act of liking someone else's content.

MCGamer staff: Stop punishing people for being liked and posting good content. Stop punishing for liking posts of others and showing appreciation to others.
Would also be great to state your own opinion on this here, or to explain this "Unspoken rule" to the public.

Community: What is your opinion on this topic? (Feel free to discuss, but keep it appropriate please.)

Thank you for your attention! :) Let's hope we are able to discuss this and they won't ignore another human right, the freedom of speech, by deleting this.

TheMangoTiger

Platinum
Reaction score
I think if they actually want to ban people for like spamming then they need to be consistent. How many likes can you give someone, in what length of time, to warrant a ban? Why are you allowed to give 20 people 10 likes but not 1 person 200 likes? And also, I've seen staff post on people's wall's 'thanks for the likespam' etc, so they aren't making the rule very fair.

If someone is likespamming themselves (from another account) then yes I think they should be punished because that's just unfair (and a tiny bit sad). But likespamming other people seems perfectly fine to me; a little annoying yes, but shouldn't be against the rules.:coffee:

and before anyone says 'you just like it bc people always like spam you': no they don't. kbye.

Last edited:

Stephanie

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Like how is liking someones stuff a bunch of times boosting? You don't really get anything out of it besides likes. Likes don't affect the way you play on the servers, or really anything on the forums.

If someone wants to like stuff, just because, let them. They are the ones taking time out of their lives to like stuff. I've had people like stuff of mine, and I have no idea why lol. I just let them be. Cause at the end of the day, people shouldn't really care how much likes they get, if it is little or a lot of likes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drizzzy

Tribute
Reaction score
Hello boys and girls of the MCGamer!

So recently it has been coming to my attention that a lot of people have been punished for liking or achieving likes here on the forums. The MCGamer staff justifies it by calling it "like boosting". People have been banned and some forumers lost up to 3000 likes.
__
Such thing is nowhere to be found on the official rules thread. When I asked staff about it, they called it an "Unspoken rule made clear by Freshly". That's interesting, isn't it?
If you punish for something, the people must be made aware that they are breaking a rule first. How is a community member able to know that liking posts is against the rules? I personally didn't have a Freshly informing me about this "Unspoken rule". Did you guys?
To sum it up: Staff is punishing people for a "rule", noone is able to know about.
__
Then we got the question: Can you actually punish for liking one's post?? Isn't that the act of showing appreciation to someone? Isn't that the way to show you like the content someone posts? Isn't that the goal of many forumers to get a good like/post ratio to show that they are great forumers and people can follow them to receive their great content??
__
Yes some people try to "boost" themselves up by using alt accounts. I think I don't have to tell you that this is not the right thing to do and this actually is stated in the rules. I think we all here agree on that.

To stress my point, I want to give you a quote from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the UN:

Doesn't that mean I can show everyone my opinion of liking someone's content or showing that I agree on what he said?
Is MCGamer staff ignoring Human Rights? Yes some Mods and even some Sr. Mods are still young, but you cannot punish someone for the simple act of liking someone else's content.

MCGamer staff: Stop punishing people for being liked and posting good content. Stop punishing for liking posts of others and showing appreciation to others.
Would also be great to state your own opinion on this here, or to explain this "Unspoken rule" to the public.

Community: What is your opinion on this topic? (Feel free to discuss, but keep it appropriate please.)

Thank you for your attention! :) Let's hope we are able to discuss this and they won't ignore another human right, the freedom of speech, by deleting this.

I totally agree man, I mean like it's worst then try harding if you dont put in heavy breathing and a sweaty lit up for head along with sweaty fingers. That's fun putting in all that quick finger speed typing and strategy #StopBoostingNow

Gule

District 13
Reaction score
Jojo good thread as always.
I feel like if you have 3000likes 500posts you will get removed likes but thats just me and i don't really agree with that.

Reaction score
Like Boosting is when you get one or multiple people, or even yourself to like your posts. The reason why its punishable is because there is a leaderboard (sort of) on the forums where it shows players with the most likes and it gives pride to a lot of players knowing they may be one of the most popular players on the forums/server. When people like boost its taking positions of some/multiple people on that leaderboard bringing them down while in reality that person may not have too many likes
The Leaderboard: http://www.mcgamer.net/members/?type=likes
or

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci