• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Regen hacks vs. NCP

I_love_desk

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
WARNING: Essay incoming.

So, I tried to hold off making this thread for as long as possible as I’m not a fan of the constant posts complaining about hackers on the forums, but I feel that the problems that regen hacks are causing are getting really out of hand. When they first came about and started causing problems, I saw them as a mild inconvenience – yes, they were frustrating and it was basically impossible to win against them, but then again, they were rare, and surely MCSG was going to patch them soon.

Nope. I obviously can’t go claiming that the ridiculous number of regen hackers that now plague the servers is MCSG’s fault – of course that was going to happen. It’s crazy now and I know that a few of my friends as well as me have gone on ridiculous loss streaks mainly because we have to face regen hackers. When the hack has been out for a few days and you maybe face one of them every 30 games, its fine. When they have been around for over 2 months and I have seen regen hackers in up to 5 games in a row, it gets ridiculous.

I know that MCSG’s staff are ridiculously busy and the community puts a huge amount of pressure on them to update things in the server (there’s always something: map tiering changes, fencepost glitch, etc.), and yet is it really unreasonable to expect regen hacks to have been eliminated after 2 months? It’s also a really pressing issue, this isn’t some small glitch which people occasionally abuse; it actually makes it impossible to win some games because it is so difficult to kill them.

Of course I know next to nothing about the inner workings of NCP and how easy it is to alter, but what makes me think that this can be done is this video:

Watch from about 7:00 onwards. This is a video Sixzoseven made while he was still an administrator, and if you look at the chat, he gets messages when people perform actions that get detected by no-cheat. Numerous times in the video this comes up : “[Hacker] failed FastHeal: regenerates health faster than usual.” The hacker doesn’t get kicked for this. I asked a friend who knows a bit more about this subject than I do and he says that eating golden apples does not get picked up by this, so there is basically no error that NCP can make, if that message comes up then someone is regen hacking, simple. Again I don’t know everything but surely MCSG could program something in relatively easily which would kick players if they got this message, for example, more than once.

So, I felt I had to post this. There has to be some sort of action taken by MCSG on this. The server that shall not be named was able to remove these types of hackers from their servers quickly enough that it wasn’t a problem – here we are far past that stage and I just feel something needs to happen. The community has been patient and nothing has happened. Please, MCSG, focus on being able to kick regen hackers through NCP.

TL;DR: Regen hacking has been around for too long. It is removable and MCSG needs to take action.

Thanks for reading :)

DannyMan725

Experienced
Reaction score
I had the same idea. If mods can see that chat then why not send it world-wide into the servers and ban the hacker. Also, even if it is not possible to do so, I have a simple solution:

Hackers caught using regen could be banned extensively instead of the normal 7 days. A bit more of a punishment for a naughty little hack.

Specton

Survivor
Reaction score
I think people of which such a message has been sent only once shouldn't be banned immediately, let's say that you eat a golden apple 0.01 seconds after you regen half a heart, then NCP could pick that up as "regenning health faster than usual", and then ban someone who didn't do anything wrong. I mean, NCP is not a perfect system, on a private server I used to get the message "... tried SurvivalFly" while nobody flew or tried to fly. I'd say that if the message "FastHeal" comes up numerous times in a game for a single player that player should probably be banned, not on the first message.

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
I think people of which such a message has been sent only once shouldn't be banned immediately, let's say that you eat a golden apple 0.01 seconds after you regen half a heart, then NCP could pick that up as "regenning health faster than usual", and then ban someone who didn't do anything wrong. I mean, NCP is not a perfect system, on a private server I used to get the message "... tried SurvivalFly" while nobody flew or tried to fly. I'd say that if the message "FastHeal" comes up numerous times in a game for a single player that player should probably be banned, not on the first message.
The regeneration would measure the amount of hearts regenerated over a period of time. 6 hearts in half a second isn't possible. There would be some point of threshold programmed that would prevent false positives from ever happening.

5Life

crafter extraordinaire
Reaction score
The regeneration would measure the amount of hearts regenerated over a period of time. 6 hearts in half a second isn't possible. There would be some point of threshold programmed that would prevent false positives from ever happening.
Some clients now allow you to change the speed of regen ._.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
To avoid regen hackers, fight in water... For some reason, when a regen hacker is underground they randomly start drowning.

5Life

crafter extraordinaire
Reaction score
To avoid regen hackers, fight in water... For some reason, when a regen hacker is underground they randomly start drowning.
Alot of the maps that are voted tend to have either no water, little water or water on the edges of the map where almost no one goes i.e. Moonbase9, SG4, Avaricia

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Alot of the maps that are voted tend to have either no water, little water or water on the edges of the map where almost no one goes i.e. Moonbase9, SG4, Avaricia
If you want to save your ass, you better work :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci