• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Should 120-Man servers be removed??

Should 120-man lobbies/games be removed?

• Yes! They are quite annoying!

• NO!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeppiCola

Survivor
Reaction score
You know what annoys me the most about SG?? The 120-Man Servers. They're so pointlesss, everyone just leaves anyways, so they're just basically just a never ending lobby. I hate joining these because its such a waste of time! MCSG, please tell me why you have these!

You guys can poll to see how annoying they are :

N

Nikola

1. Once you join and actually get some players to play on it it crashes.
2. Nobody nevers playes it.
3. If you ever actually manage to play it, it lags all the time.

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
This is a good point, and I see where you are coming from. However, some people (Myself included) enjoy playing on large maps. It's rather like playing on a large map in CoD, It's more enjoyable and realistic. The reason they are in the game is because sometimes, when lots of people are on the servers all the game lobbies are full. And believe it or not, that does actually happen quite often. So the 120 player lobbies are there as an extra :D Hope this helped! Also, this thread is in the wrong section, this should be in the 'Survival games discussions' section, Moderator please move. Thanks!

~Vanth
You know what annoys me the most about SG?? The 120-Man Servers. They're so pointlesss, everyone just leaves anyways, so they're just basically just a never ending lobby. I hate joining these because its such a waste of time! MCSG, please tell me why you have these!

You guys can poll to see how annoying they are :

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
They are great for special occasions, large community games, the valentines day event this year and more have been special occasions that the 120 player maps have been used.

However, they are very rarely played on, if there isn't a special occasion.

My personal opinion, is that they should be kept, but reduced. It is quite frustrating trying to find a server and keeping popping up at the 120 man servers, but it is only a minor problem. It isn't hard to leave a lobby and join another. If we reduce the amount of these servers we have then we reduce this problem, but still have some open ready for special events or if someone is actually able to start one of these servers normally.

Mooclan, Nephilim, Ceroria reckon you can move this out of general support and to a section more suitable?

Sanders

Team Helix
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is still true, but last time I checked Regular 24 player servers had rougly 1GB to run on, which is fine for those servers. But 48 and 120 player servers have exactly the same amount of ram which probably explains why they crash so often. I can undestand why they dont have much RAM, because nobody wants to play it due to it crashing all the time, Which just creates an infinite loop. Adding more RAM to those servers and adding more maps for these servers would definatelly improve them and eventually people will be playing on it. But thats just me probably, I dont really mind long games as long as their fun :D

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
Well said, I generally thing that these servers should be kept but improved. As Zacharoutio said they are great for large scale events, so it would be a shame to say goodbye. Also, Sanders point about RAM was eye opening. I myself did not realise that 120 person servers ran on the same amount of RAM as 24 person server.

Currently 24 person servers are amazing, people can't get enough. But it seems as though people don't want anything to do with the 120 person server, so something needs to be done. Wether it be new large scale maps or, more RAM to reduce lag. Hope this helped!

~Vanth
I'm not sure if this is still true, but last time I checked Regular 24 player servers had rougly 1GB to run on, which is fine for those servers. But 48 and 120 player servers have exactly the same amount of ram which probably explains why they crash so often. I can undestand why they dont have much RAM, because nobody wants to play it due to it crashing all the time, Which just creates an infinite loop. Adding more RAM to those servers and adding more maps for these servers would definatelly improve them and eventually people will be playing on it. But thats just me probably, I dont really mind long games as long as their fun :D

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I've popped this over to a more appropriate section, Survival Games Discussions, thanks to Zacharoutio for tagging me ^-^

Anyway, this has been brought up too many times before. We will not be removing our 120 man servers, however if it's possible to reduce the amount to add more 24 man servers, I'd like that.

I'm going to lock this because oir answer will be basically the same every time, no. If you want further clarification just search around the forums, you'll find plenty of other threads that have brought up this very thing :)

Edit: listen to what Nephilim said. He knows what he's talking about and was much more descriptive than I ;p

Nephilim

Mockingjay
Reaction score
The reason why we have the 120 servers is so that they can be used by large Youtubers, streamers on Twitch and sometimes even by Chad himself when they want to record with their fans, or stream with as many players as possible. Or whenever there are enough people who are up for a really large SG game, they can go find some fun on those servers as well.

We are well aware that the 120 servers, and possibly some of the 48 ones as well aren't as popular as the regular 24 man servers, but I also don't see the need in removing them (talking about the 120 one here). We maybe have a maximum of 4 120 man servers in total on 1 big region (US, EU), while we have a lot more 24 servers, don't even ask me how many exactly... My point is, yes people don't play on it very often, besides on special occasions like whenever someone is streaming. However, since there are only a few of them, why would you remove those? They aren't exactly taking up that much space and whenever they would be needed, they are there to be used.

I have noticed that they can be buggy and that should be looked into, but just because not too many people want to play on it unless there is an event happening or something, and since there are only a few of them, I would keep them there for their availability whenever they are needed. Removing 4 120 servers and turning them into 4 24 servers wouldn't make that much of a difference and wouldn't be that difficult yes, but how would greanbeans be able to play during Chad's stream for example when all 48 servers are full with donors and staff?

I would say keep them. Besides the bugs that may occur, they're completely fine where they are at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci