• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Should Mankind Fear Artificial Intelligence?

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Alright, I'm back with another discussion thread, and this time we're talking about robots!

Robots and computers have been getting increasingly smart, and it has many people worried. In 1997, A computer named Deep Blue defeated the greatest chess player in the world, Garry Kasparov, for the first time. In 2014, a machine known as "Watson" won a match of jeopardy against the game's top players, and later won a match of jeopardy against the combined knowledge of the 435 members of the US House of Representatives. Recently, some machines have demonstrated some abilities deemed superhuman, such as mind reading. Others have began walking, like humans. A quantum computer has also been built, which possesses exponentially more computing power the larger it is made. Drones have become and important part of the militaries of some countries.

So my question is, should we be worried about robots as a threat to security? Could they overcome the human race?

Some claim that if robots can be far smarter than us, and can have abilities such as flying and perfect gun accuracy, the answer should be a most definite yes. However, others claim that you cannot program a fear of death, so robots will not strive to stay alive the way an animal does. Robots will also not likely have the healing capabilities that animals do, yet they can be made of much tougher materials.

So what do you think? Are they a threat?

T0M

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
meh human race will end eventually....

Mauro

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If we created them we can destroy them. Just like in the movies. ;)
Humans are amazing!

Edit: Thread moved to Off Topic Discussions

Last edited:

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
If we created them we can destroy them. Just like in the movies. ;)
Humans are amazing!

Edit: Thread moved to Off Topic Discussions
I don't know about that! I can see where you're coming from, but for example we have created computers that can play chess better than our best chess players.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Artificial intelligence is the future, it's a goal that's being attempted now and is going to always be attempted until the end of mankind.

The main goal is for medicine, peace-keeping and the survival of humans / the planet.

The problem is the fact that it's a bit of a race in technology, which means cutting corners. If the system is sentient or broken enough, it could unreasonably see that human extinction is the solution to these problems. That's the premise behind a lot of movies; The Matrix, I, Robot, Ultron. Transcendence.

Essay

Survivor
Reaction score
Watson was just a big database with a lot of programming, nothing in worried about taking over tbh

Remy2402

Experienced
Reaction score
I really don't think they could even do it. The developers of the so called "AI of death" would have to program them so they could use weapons, and I am sure that the humans can stop them anyway.

P3num6ra

Career
Reaction score
I don't see robots really a problem. They will only be as good as what you tell them to do.

J

District 13
Reaction score
I'm actually quite terrified of AIs. I blame Terminator, Halo, A,I. Artificial Intelligence, etc.

I, personally, believe that it's not a threat as long as human kind does not make them a threat. What I'm saying is that based on the intelligence we program them with, they will not harm humans at all. However, I do believe that if supplied with enough intelligence, far more than the capacity of a human, a robot may indeed begin to learn by itself. When it learns by itself, a robot can learn more then any human. It will learn unknown secrets mankind has tried to discover themselves, how the universe was born, etc. and maybe even ultimately create clones because of the knowledge they're gaining. I'm totally down for robots to do my laundry and stuff, but I fear their knowledge.

Knowledge = Power

I'm way too paranoid.

Reaction score
Recently, some machines have demonstrated some abilities deemed superhuman, such as mind reading
I think we're a bit too far away from what you're saying.

So my question is, should we be worried about robots as a threat to security? Could they overcome the human race?
"Overpassing human intelligence and acting on their own will" is a movie stereotype, they could be forced against us if their security was bypassed from someone else or hacked, but not by themselves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci