• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Silo MCSG Map

Would you like to see this map on the MCSG servers?

• Yes this map is awesome!!

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Na I dont think i would enjoy it.

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

ManOfTheBread

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Okay I was Red Forests lead terraformer for 5 months (on partial break right now but still on the team) so I at least have a clue of what i'm talking about. Also just a for warning, I never leave positive reviews (I believe the only map I've ever left a positive review on is TSG3). I leave negative reviews to make your map better, not to put your map down.

Now before I say anything I would just like to start off by saying that I have downloaded the world file, and flew around for about 10-20 minutes. First things first, this map is way to small. The map committee is trying to push out larger maps of higher quality. This map will most likely get an automatic X put over due to it's size.

The build quality on the map is very bland, the structures are very rectangular, I recommend that you try to figure out some cool designs with stairs for the exterior. This helps add depth to the buildings which your map doesn't have. The bridges on the map are also very rectangular, I recommend a curved shape bridge. The airport overall needs more detail, and increasing the size of the map will help that as it allows for more space to add more buildings and vehicles.

The terraforming on this map is not impressive at all. The mountain lacks a natural look, its very random how there is a giant mountain in the middle of a small city. I recommend removing the mountain completely and going for terrain similar to SG 4 and SG 1 which is low lying hills. This will help improve gameplay, and will make the map look much more natural.

The exterior is very lazy and misleading. When you say there are different biomes on the side of the dome. One would expect that you made very interesting looking biomes with voxelsniper on the outside. I personally was not expecting to find generic minecraft terrain on the outside. That does not help your case with this map. I recommend using MCEdit to copy the map into a superflat world file, make the size and detail improvements to the map then make the SG 1 and SG 4 like terrain on the outside and extend it it far enough so that even if you are on far you can still see custom terrain, but once you can barely see the map on far while terraforming, that is when you can stop, as players will not be able to see beyond that point.

That's my review, I hope you make the changes I've suggested as they will really help with the look and feel of your map.

MLG_ON_MCSG

Tribute
Reaction score
Okay I was Red Forests lead terraformer for 5 months (on partial break right now but still on the team) so I at least have a clue of what i'm talking about. Also just a for warning, I never leave positive reviews (I believe the only map I've ever left a positive review on is TSG3). I leave negative reviews to make your map better, not to put your map down.

Now before I say anything I would just like to start off by saying that I have downloaded the world file, and flew around for about 10-20 minutes. First things first, this map is way to small. The map committee is trying to push out larger maps of higher quality. This map will most likely get an automatic X put over due to it's size.

The build quality on the map is very bland, the structures are very rectangular, I recommend that you try to figure out some cool designs with stairs for the exterior. This helps add depth to the buildings which your map doesn't have. The bridges on the map are also very rectangular, I recommend a curved shape bridge. The airport overall needs more detail, and increasing the size of the map will help that as it allows for more space to add more buildings and vehicles.

The terraforming on this map is not impressive at all. The mountain lacks a natural look, its very random how there is a giant mountain in the middle of a small city. I recommend removing the mountain completely and going for terrain similar to SG 4 and SG 1 which is low lying hills. This will help improve gameplay, and will make the map look much more natural.

The exterior is very lazy and misleading. When you say there are different biomes on the side of the dome. One would expect that you made very interesting looking biomes with voxelsniper on the outside. I personally was not expecting to find generic minecraft terrain on the outside. That does not help your case with this map. I recommend using MCEdit to copy the map into a superflat world file, make the size and detail improvements to the map then make the SG 1 and SG 4 like terrain on the outside and extend it it far enough so that even if you are on far you can still see custom terrain, but once you can barely see the map on far while terraforming, that is when you can stop, as players will not be able to see beyond that point.

That's my review, I hope you make the changes I've suggested as they will really help with the look and feel of your map.
Did it ever occur to you that the map was mean to be small meaning fast and intense gameplay... i don't know where your getting that it needs to be like sg3 because to my experience sg 3 always exceeds the time limit making it probably the most boring mcsg map there is.

ManOfTheBread

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to you that the map was mean to be small meaning fast and intense gameplay... i don't know where your getting that it needs to be like sg3 because to my experience sg 3 always exceeds the time limit making it probably the most boring mcsg map there is.
I see that it was meant to be small. I am not suggesting that a large map is made, I am suggesting that the map needs to be larger in order for it to be considered (at least the size of SG 4 which is 250 blocks in radius). I speak to members of the map committee everyday and I can guarantee to you that a map of this size has 0% chance of being added, as they are trying to push out maps that are slightly over the size minimum in order to help lead towards the making of higher quality maps. I am only suggesting that the quality of the map (this includes size) should be improved upon. I would also like to point out:
Map Sizes

There has been confusion over the size of how big maps should be. Some maps go under the recommended size, some go way over, and this is where we clear it up.
  • 24 player maps must have a minimum radius of 200.
  • 48 player maps must have a minimum radius of 500.
This map has a radius of 160. So no matter what your opinion may be on my post, this map does not meet the official guidelines, and will not be added unless it's size is increased. I do not intend to come off as hostile, only brutally honest.

ThatGuysGraphics

Survivor
Reaction score
I see that it was meant to be small. I am not suggesting that a large map is made, I am suggesting that the map needs to be larger in order for it to be considered (at least the size of SG 4 which is 250 blocks in radius). I speak to members of the map committee everyday and I can guarantee to you that a map of this size has 0% chance of being added, as they are trying to push out maps that are slightly over the size minimum in order to help lead towards the making of higher quality maps. I am only suggesting that the quality of the map (this includes size) should be improved upon. I would also like to point out:

This map has a radius of 160. So no matter what your opinion may be on my post, this map does not meet the official guidelines, and will not be added unless it's size is increased. I do not intend to come off as hostile, only brutally honest.
Ok well its our fist map so we aren't exactly guru's.There are obiously things we did not know about map making for MCSG but at least you can tell us what wrong with the map instead of saying that it is bad. I really want to make a good map for MCSG but I don't want to make a really big as no one likes them. So maybe if I make a new map and make it perhaps SG4 size and put more detail into everything. Is that what everyone is wanting? But thank you for letting me know! :)

ManOfTheBread

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ok well its our fist map so we aren't exactly guru's.There are obiously things we did not know about map making for MCSG but at least you can tell us what wrong with the map instead of saying that it is bad. I really want to make a good map for MCSG but I don't want to make a really big as no one likes them. So maybe if I make a new map and make it perhaps SG4 size and put more detail into everything. Is that what everyone is wanting?
I never said this map was bad. I did mention improvements, and they can be found in paragraphs 3-5 of my review. As for it being your first map, this is not a bad start at all. Most of the wrong stuff is just fundamental and can be easily improved upon. You do not have to start from scratch, if anything, use this idea and make some edits (including the ones I suggested) to the map. If you really want to, you can start a completely new map, but using this idea will help you greatly as it will help you know what to do, and what not to do when making the Silo map.

ThatGuysGraphics

Survivor
Reaction score
I never said this map was bad. I did mention improvements, and they can be found in paragraphs 3-5 of my review. As for it being your first map, this is not a bad start at all. Most of the wrong stuff is just fundamental and can be easily improved upon. You do not have to start from scratch, if anything, use this idea and make some edits (including the ones I suggested) to the map. If you really want to, you can start a completely new map, but using this idea will help you greatly as it will help you know what to do, and what not to do when making the Silo map.
I never said that you said that the map was bad I was talking about other people. As for the map we are still deciding if we want to carry on with the theme or get a new one.

ManOfTheBread

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I never said that you said that the map was bad I was talking about other people. As for the map we are still deciding if we want to carry on with the theme or get a new one.
Oh sorry I didn't know you were making a statement to the general people of this thread. My mistake.

ThatGuysGraphics

Survivor
Reaction score
Oh sorry I didn't know you were making a statement to the general people of this thread. My mistake.
I just thought of an idea, tell me if you think it has potential. I was thinking a Batman styled map like have the spawn in the middle and have the city in one direction Bruce Wayne's mansion with the batcave under neath it in another and then the Jokers theme park in another direction with his lair somewhere around it aswell? The radius of the map would probably be around 350

ThatGuysGraphics

Survivor
Reaction score
I just thought of an idea, tell me if you think it has potential. I was thinking a Batman styled map like have the spawn in the middle and have the city in one direction Bruce Wayne's mansion with the batcave under neath it in another and then the Jokers theme park in another direction with his lair somewhere around it aswell? The radius of the map would probably be around 350
Obviously it would have alot of detail!

ManOfTheBread

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I know nothing about batman but I can tell you, if you really enjoy building something, it will reflect in the quality of the map. So if you will really enjoy this map, it has potential.

Edit: Fix your double post

ThatGuysGraphics

Survivor
Reaction score
I know nothing about batman but I can tell you, if you really enjoy building something, it will reflect in the quality of the map. So if you will really enjoy this map, it has potential.

Edit: Fix your double post
Do you let maps be played at night though? Like instead of it always being day time it would be the other way around?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci