• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Six's English Thread

Tacoface1234

District 13
Reaction score
Okay, did a little research regarding this question:
I guess the truth lies in whether there is a way to tell if these adjectives are meant to refer to the girl or the painting. One would assume "her" would refer to the girl, since the girl is the only confirmed female in the sentence, but I'm not sure that's enough to justify it.
Well, the first bit of the sentence is not an adverb clause, as I had assumed, it's a participial phrase. This means that it cannot modify an adjective, it must modify a noun, meaning that the phrase can only be modifying painting. It cannot modify the girl.

With this in mind, I do believe zeno had it right to start with. The problem with the sentence is poor construction. The participial phrase is clearly meant to modify the girl, but it can't because girl is written as an adjective. To correct the sentence, you would need to reconstruct it so that girl serves as a noun, and have it clearly modified by the participial phrase.

Hardworking and always trying her best, the girl made her painting prettier and more detailed than the rest of the class.

Last edited:

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's painting was the prettiest and most detailed in the whole class.
As everyone said before, the painting isn't a female.
Do we have to re-write the sentence in a manner that would make sense?
"Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl painted the prettiest and most detailed painting in the whole class."

Tacoface1234

District 13
Reaction score
Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's painting was the prettiest and most detailed in the whole class.
As everyone said before, the painting isn't a female.
Do we have to re-write the sentence in a manner that would make sense?
"Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl painted the prettiest and most detailed painting in the whole class."
I believe so. The meaning of the sentence is clear, but it is too poorly constructed to house that meaning, so it needs to be reconstructed.

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
Zeno had the answer I was looking for -- 2 Points for him. =D (This was a question ending the set. That being said, the difficulty was increased)
For reference, here is the original sentence: Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's painting was the prettiest and most detailed in the whole class.

Rather than going through more steps than needed, one may simply correct it as seen here:

Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's girl painting painted was the prettiest and most detailed picture in the whole class.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
Zeno had the answer I was looking for -- Point for him. =D
For reference, here is the original sentence: Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's painting was the prettiest and most detailed in the whole class.

Rather than going through more steps than needed, one may simply correct it as seen here:

Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's girl painting painted was the prettiest and most detailed in the whole class.
No, that doesn't make sense. You didn't mention anywhere in the sentence that what she painted was a painting.
"Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's girl painting painted was the prettiest and most detailed painting in the whole class."

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
No, that doesn't make sense. You didn't mention anywhere in the sentence what she painted a painting.
"Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's girl painting painted was the prettiest and most detailed painting in the whole class."
That's right, isn't it? Because the painting wasn't identified in Siszo's sentence.

SixZoSeven

Reaction score
No, that doesn't make sense. You didn't mention anywhere in the sentence what she was painting a painting"
It does make sense.
The sentence begins with a participle phrase. That entire beginning phrase shall be thought of as one longer adjective. The adjective needs to describe a noun that realistically has those properties. A painting can't be hardworking as a result of a girl. The painting is also not scrupulous as a result of the girl's effort.

Edit: There is a chance you read my post moments before I edited in a missing part in the correction which, in turn, states what she painted.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
It does make sense.
The sentence begins with a participle phrase. That entire beginning phrase shall be thought of as one longer adjective. The adjective needs to describe a noun that realistically has those properties. A painting can't be hardworking as a result of a girl. The painting is also not scrupulous as a result of the girl's effort.
I don't know...every time I read it I always think:
Hardworking and always trying her best, the dedicated and scrupulous girl's girl painting painted was the prettiest and most detailed what? in the whole class.
It does make sense.

Edit: There is a chance you read my post moments before I edited in a missing part in the correction which, in turn, states what she painted.
Just saw the edit now...

SixZoSeven

Reaction score
Question 6: Identify the word that most accurately fits the denotation of the word champion as seen in the following sentence:

His efforts to subdue the criminal champion those of the dispatcher who initially brought the crime to the attention of the police officer.

A) Beat
B) Win
C) Destroy
D) Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci