• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Six's Timed English Quiz!

Septology

Tribute
Reaction score
4 minutes 40 seconds
3 incorrect answers
7 out of 10 points

I must say so myself that was pretty decent not going to lie. I don't even really read and I am in high school/Sophmore.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
2 minutes 15 seconds
2 incorrect answers
8 out of 10 points

I don't think my college education helped out with this quiz as much as the amount writing I do for this community did. I'm willing to bet that those two incorrect answers were due to vocabulary terms that I was not familiar with, nor was I allowing myself to look them up.

However, I did find an issue with question 5 as I felt the answers were too vague.
"Choose the best answer for the following: After the play was over, Samantha, the main actress, decided to head home early in hopes of sleeping early."
  • Sentence Fragment
  • Run-On Sentence
  • Too many verbs
  • Fine As Is
I feel as though the sentence is syntactically correct, but the analysis of, "Run-On Sentence", "Too many verbs", and "Fine As Is" is subjective with style. Some of my early English learning would have stated that the above was a run-on sentence that should be simplified as, "Samantha was the main actress. After the play was over, she decided to head home early in hopes of sleeping early," or any combination like that; Too Many Verbs follows suit from having such an extended sentence. But personally, based on my current style and understanding of English, I concluded that the sentence was Fine As Is.

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
Looked at it for 5 seconds... to lazy

Edit: I would fail anyway English is one of my worst subjects ;)

Zaex

Diamond
Reaction score

Honestly, for not knowing some of the terms used (Since I haven't gotten that high of education yet in my schooling career) I am impressed w/ myself.

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
2 minutes 15 seconds
2 incorrect answers
8 out of 10 points

I don't think my college education helped out with this quiz as much as the amount writing I do for this community did. I'm willing to bet that those two incorrect answers were due to vocabulary terms that I was not familiar with, nor was I allowing myself to look them up.

However, I did find an issue with question 5 as I felt the answers were too vague.

I feel as though the sentence is syntactically correct, but the analysis of, "Run-On Sentence", "Too many verbs", and "Fine As Is" is subjective with style. Some of my early English learning would have stated that the above was a run-on sentence that should be simplified as, "Samantha was the main actress. After the play was over, she decided to head home early in hopes of sleeping early," or any combination like that; Too Many Verbs follows suit from having such an extended sentence. But personally, based on my current style and understanding of English, I concluded that the sentence was Fine As Is.
I agree that "Too Many Verbs" was a poor option, on my behalf.

However, a run-on sentence isn't really a matter of style. Moreover, it's an instance of having two or more clauses that lack proper punctuation.

For example, here's a run-on: "I caught him red handed he stole my cookies".

Note the lack of any punctuation or coordinating words/phrases to properly join the clause "I caught him red handed" and "He stole my cookies".

SuperxAndrew

District 13
Reaction score
3 minutes 44 seconds
1 incorrect answer
9 out of 10 points
I'll be completely honest, I got very lucky while guessing. I knew some, but 9/10 shocked me. :p

NickSharpx ☆

District 13
Reaction score
80% being Italian, I didn't know much about some retorics since I barely know the Italian ones, then I'm pretty satisfied I'd say...

TheMangoTiger

Platinum
Reaction score
2 minutes 4 seconds
6 incorrect answers
4 out of 10 points

yeah English isn't my strong point xD

Julius345

Platinum
Reaction score

I'm Dutch, I didn't even understand the questions I had wrong xD

Members online