• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

slasher's resignation letter

slasherxtreme

District 13
Reaction score
Hello friends,

If you're wondering why I've decided to write my letter a year after I actually resigned, it's because I feel that every staff member is entitled to publicly give a sort of "farewell" to the community they served, not only to say good bye, but to let others know of the reasons whether it be staff related or personal. Why I chose to write it this late is because the reasons I resigned were a little dramatic, in a sense, and would have caused a commotion (and possibly a ban) if I had done it before.

To start off, I guess I'll reintroduce myself a little bit, considering most of you probably won't know who I am. I'm slasherxtreme, otherwise known as: slash, slasher, swaggerxtreme, swaggyxtreme, swagmaster G, and Prime Overlord slasher. I was a staff member here at MCSG up until about a year ago. Going into a bit of detail, I have had the honor of being apart of the first generation of staff, in addition to being the longest serving non-chad staff (until my resignation of course). To say the least, I've just about seen it all.

WARNING: This post will be pretty long and doesn't get to the main point til the end.

In hopes of pulling that slasher memory from the depths of your brain, assuming you've heard of me at one point, I'd like to take a trip down the nostalgic road of my adventures here. Shortly after MCSG became public, I joined the community under a different name. A few weeks after the faithful event, I became staff and, for no particular reason, changed my name to slasherxtreme. Back then I had an absolutely horrid computer. It could only run one task at a time, and to a barely functioning standard. I ran minecraft at an embarressing fps and could barely record. Due to so, I was unable to use teamspeak and minecraft at the same time. This accounted for my lack of "socializing" with other staff members at the time. However, this didn't inhibit my duties as a staff member. My MCSG skills were definitely... undeveloped... so I spent all, if not most, of my time in game moderating. Don't feel bad for me because moderating was more enjoyable for me then the endless amounts of early-game deaths I had. However, the process of early MCSG moderating was a bit frustrating. This was a time before the clank panel, where moderators held their own spread sheet of their actions, and posted a "file" in a super secret area 51 forum thread. Seems easy enough right? To be fair, it was, but doing this on a half dead computer took patience and a head full of hair. When the clank/cory panel came, it was like introducing the iphone for the first time. The black and white (and sometimes blue) page full of mundane lines and letters eased the work moderators had to do concerning bans. Looking back on it now though... it was a piece of junk. It was pretty unreliable, due to being broken a good portion of the time, and was actually prone to SQL injections which left a lot of private data at risk. Moving on, around this time I got a better computer which allowed me to further spread my moderating abilities. I became more teamspeak active which, sad to say, led to whatever offline life I had to die. I bonded with a lot of the greats you hear about today. Hands down, these were some of the most interesting and lovely people I have met. They lived all over the world and ranged in age. You learned something new every time you spoke to them. Although, they all had something in common, a sense of humor. To name a few who I dearly admired:

Aeruner, who later on became my closest friend and role model
MiCr2, mr cat
NinjaShrimp
karoleigh
sabbo2001
C4_85, who shouldn't be writing things
Noepje
Redseamonster123, In my opinion was one of the best moderators, who sadly was not really recognized
Darlo2k4, murse with some interesting mcsg background
kpwn243, iron man
Firedog150, my mentor and first friend here
kingo348
Bessemer, good friend who I should have listened to
CodeGlue, definitely a great
Bicentennial_Man, the jolly ol friendly man who scared the living eggs out of me with his voice
BowlOSoup
cameron224, memories of the survival server at it pre-alpha stages
kingo348
Clbrend
goldentank
kmaster224
Logstone
Mr_Lemon_Venom, AU king
mooman219, plenty of cow filled shenanigans to remember
Panuternut, hands down one of the best staff
SabotageTheFool, one of the nicest guys out there
Pearsonbros
redfury9
the_french_guy
superbabykatie
Roseria

Anyways, I didn't expect how long this letter would take to write so I'll try to speed up the new few years. During this time, however, things were running very smoothly. The staff was close and in sync. The only major problem were the golden apples. Because of those reasons, I like to think of these times as "The Golden Years". Fast forward a little bit and drama rose. Issues between the admins affect the staff and those who stayed to watch later played a large role in the community. For those of you who didn't know, this was before MCSG's reconstruction which fired the original admins. If you're curious to what happened, I blab about some details that went on. Tension between Chad and the admins intensified to the point were Chad went awol and quit (oh yes this happened) and the admins were left, without a thought, as to what to do. I find this part to be one of the biggest events in MCSG history as Chad's disappearance had brought on the discussion of building another community led by Karo, C4, and sabbo. This wasn't just a suggestion but an actual plan where the community was named and a domain was bought (it was called cubed something that I can't recall). Many of the greats were offered positions at the new community, including myself but Chad eventually came back, took charge, fired the admins, and promoted a few new ones.

Speed up to when I got Sr.Mod (because this post is mostly about me duh) and when drama began once again. A lot of things did happen between the new admins and this time but that's a long story for another time. If I recall correctly, this was the time when MCTIMV/The Hive was a bit older and relations with MCSG soured. There were many reason for the large amounts of dramatic issues that rose during this time. Senior staffing problems caused mistrust between higher ups which later resulted in Bowl's leaving of the staff. MCSG's conflict with The Hive led to MCSG staff leaving and some dirty play. One particular I remembered was people being offered staff position at The Hive, which angered staff at MCSG. I was someone who was offered a position and when it was told to the senior staff, a large argument came due to me refusing to say a specific name. At this time, there were huge disagreements between US Senior Staff and EU Senior Staff. By that I mean there was a crapstorm of fighting and drama everywhere. To be honest, I probably would have left if Le0, Aeruner and Antster360 weren't around.

Moving on, internal staff conflicts were still present and issues with the admin Bessemer came up which resulted in his removal from the community. After that, MCSG was in need of new admins. New people were hired which I believe did lower some heated tension, but at the same time prolonged some other issues. From then on, things were manageable, but definitely unstable. Again, a lot of things did happen during this time, but I don't care much for talking about them in this post.

After a while, I was burdened by real life too much to honestly give a damn about MCSG. My workload completely shifted from in game affairs to side projects and background work, the kind of tedious stuff that no one wants to do. Then Col came along and took charge of a lot of official business. Around this time, I lost my genuine love for the community and being staff. I still did work, but not what I truly wanted to do. However, I guess this was when I began to "mentor" moderators more. I had done it when I was moderator and when I was first promoted but the problems of the Senior Staff pulled me away from that joy. To say the least, I met many many great people who I can honestly say I'm proud of working with. I wasn't just seen as Senior Moderator slasher who did things people didn't really know of. I was known as Senior Moderator ratchetxtreme, a name and word which still urks me to this day. The best part of that though, was being looked as more than just a boss who only cared if you screwed up, which what became of the Senior Staff then. Moderators were comfortable coming to talk about their problems and getting advice. This motivated me to want to change how things were running. Things weren't corrupt or on the brink of breaking, but they weren't right. The staff was less of a family and more of a workplace.

Sometime previous or around this (bad memory) SixZoSeven came back to join the staff. I knew Six from before, but not really on a personal level. When he returned, I was able to know him better, as a staff and a friend. To say the least, his abilities as a staff were outstanding and I am not ashamed to say that around this period I had received some very personal images and details. Six and other members of staff, who I won't discuss for the sake of privacy, were influential on my wanting to "fix" things.

Eventually, groups of other staff members and I went through with a plan on resolving these obviously ignored issues. I can confidently say that we tried our best and were given a glimpse of hope in once again seeing a golden age. However things didn't work out, which coincided with a large resigning of staff. A small portion of that group, including myself, saw it to the end but were left with disappointment. I can't speak for why others had left the staff team, but I will say why I did.

If you made it this far, good on you for reading. I hope it was worth the wait. To begin, the staff was a large part of why I left, but not the only reason. The general atmosphere of this place, in addition to the community members played a role as well. The staff was separated between Senior Staff and moderators. Arrogance and the a power-hungry mindset led people in high places to work out of personal gain. Unfair decisions and the influences a person had, determined how far they climbed up the latter. Some were promoted or hired due to their connections and reputation. Others were denied or pin pointed due to the same reason. Staff meetings became hours long and were filled with nothing but useless babbles, false promises, and attempts to suck up. Senior Staff meetings became repetitions of arguments for pointless solutions and distractions from actual problems. Staff throughout separated into cliques which excluded others. People hid themselves away, dragging their friends with them. I honestly believed there was no opportunity to make a new friend unless you followed the views of someone higher, even if its unfair or stupid. Moderators were seen less of people but more as numbers and employees. The work moderators did were for higher positions or to get noticed. Very little staff members worked for the sake of doing good in the community. Staff positions were handed left and right to people who didn't really deserve it and the interview process was reformed to be less fair. Instead of everyone having to answer similar or equally difficult questions, some were given tougher questions based on their reputation, relationship with staff, and vibe. Others were given a 3 minute long interview filled with idiotic attempts at being funny.

If you're thinking "oh man i was right to hate the staff" I had some problems with the community as well. Many members in notable positions were extremely condescending. They looked down on others if they didn't act how they liked and sucked up to people above them. The same jokes and perspectives were constantly used over and over again. There was some stupid belief that this was a government and democracy was the main player in how the system worked. For those who still think that, news flash: this isn't a democracy. Your thoughts and opinion may matter but not to that big of blowing your head up and talking down to the staff. Staff members decide what to change and what not to change because they have done their part to show to some extent that they have the right ideas to the betterment of the whole. Even if you see them as brainwashed, making silly petitions and criticizing everything they say with ignorant posts filled with exaggerations and attempts at being smart will do nothing besides make you look like an idiot. If you want to change things, work your way into staff and try your best to do what you think is right, not what someone else says is how you should think. Still glancing at the forums today, I still see a lot of people pretending to be someone they're not so others would like them. Be original and see how far that takes you.

Another one of the major forces behind my resigning: Chad. With my working for him throughout the years I can honestly say Chad is a great person. He's nice (sometimes too nice) and puts his heart into this community. I really do feel that he doesn't deserve the crap the community gives him most of the time. He really does work hard. However, Chad relies too much on the words and decisions of others. The niceness becomes easily manipulated and his lack of trust for people (which to be fair he had some good reasons) separates him from what goes on in the staff. When I was working with him I could see that he was more of a figurehead who played the role of an owner, rather than a leader directing the path. In the early stages of MCSG, people worked hard to help him with his future for MCSG. When I was on my way out of staff, people only wanted to gain a high position to take advantage of him or to be noticed by him. He was too easily convinced and relied on the few he thought he trusted to do things. This close mindedness kept him at a safe distance away from dealing with underlying issues, but pushed him away from those who actually cared about the community.

Lastly, one of the main reasons I left was due to the fact that very few people actually worked to get things done. This applied to every group. Staff only wanted to do things that were low effort and high attention. Members wanted to create useless guides and clutter the forum so they can try and stand out. People just wanted to do things that they could brag about, not something they could be proud of. To me, this was one of the most disgusting parts of this community. I hold modesty to a high value and can honestly say I've been proud of all my work, not because it gave me more likes and popularity, but because I knew I was helping out in a community I loved at one point.

These were all things that occurred for a long period of time, even overlapping. The tipping point for me was doing my best, along with a group of others, to bring these problems to surface and offer whole hearted solutions. What was met was false promises and disappointment. I stepped down from Senior Staff to show that I disapproved of how it was functioning, and after hours and days of talking and waiting, I was lied to and casted off as unimportant. I really did enjoy being staff here, despite the bad times, and hoped that showed through my work. Even if a little bit had changed, I probably would still be working today(if i wasn't fired that is). So because of my work and efforts to show I was serious about these issues, I resigned as a statement that I was willing to give my all for a change or be done with the same old bull. A good friend around here once gave me some advice when I asked him if I should quit or not (this was way long before I actually did), he said "the only way to change a community if you change the owner. If you think you can do that, then stay". I should have resigned long ago.

I do cherish the time I've had here and the friends I've made. There are way too many to list (trust me) but a shout out for those who have impacted my whole experience here:

MCJackson : My brother and dear friend, Clarence. One of the best staff members who unluckily had some bad run ins. Kept me sane while dealing with all the drama. There's too much to say but your stupidity motivates me.

Le0 : A big role model for me in my decisions and outlook. Although that nurturing motheringly side hurts when you call me idiot instead of Clarence.

Toa-Rex : One of my first friends who've stayed up endless nights trying to help me not suck as bad on MCSG.

Jstame: Respectable and genuine. I'm proud to have worked alongside as a friend, adviser, and fellow staff. Looking forward to your return.

SixZoSeven : Too pro for me. Sees the right things and works hard for them. Extremely admirable and I'm proud to say I've killed you at least once before (even if it was a glitch and I also died)

G33ke : Geekle leekle. Intelligent beyond belief and enjoyable to talk to.

Aeruner : My biggest inspiration throughout my entire journey at MCSG on a professional sense, as well as a personal and vocal one. Good luck with Kim Jong Un.

Bessemer : Wise and impactful. A good friend, and even better staff member.

mooman219 : I love you.

Antster360 : By far one of the best admins to run this place. In addition, an enjoyably person to be around. Stay off drugs.

Firedog150 : He lived to shortly. RIP

I don't know how this place runs today and the people in charge of it so keep that in mind that I was writing from how things were back then. I have no intentions of returning as a staff member, or really an active member. I hope that things are better now-a-days and if not, I hope this letter improves something.

End Letter

P.S. I wrote this impulsively at 2 A.M., and in one take, so I really don't care if things are misspelled, grammatically incorrect, or in general "lame". I'll fix it up another time. If a staff member or someone else wants to fix it up though, I'm all for that ;D

P.S.S. I wrote things in relationship to my being staff here and how it ties to my reasons for quitting. A lot of people and other stuff were left out. Maybe another post...

P.S.S.S. In general my memory is really bad so I probably won't remember almost all of you whether you hate me or liked me. :p

P.S.S.S.S. Some of the tags didn't work, but its too much effort to fix them.

N

Nikola

After I learn History I'll read the whole thing! Anyways gl in life :(

MiCr2

District 13
Reaction score
VL;RIA
(Very Long;Read It All)

Good luck in life!

Also you are like the first person to ever mention me in one of these letters : O

SuperMCSam

Career
Reaction score
;-; I read it all. I hope you fare amazingly in your life. As I always say, Life before Minecraft. We might lose track of what is more important, and this break/leave is needed by all. I myself, who is like one of the biggest minecraft addicts, will leave one day. This might have taken a lot of time to type man ;p Good luck!

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Clop clop clop

Edit: Okay, time for me to be on topic. I read the last part, regarding your resignation and why you did in fact leave. From the perspective of a staff member now, I feel as if many of the issues you addressed have changed since. Sure, there are different friend groups within the staff teams, but nobody has ever been excluside, rude, or abusive to other members of staff in the 7 months I've been a moderator. There is also much less separation between the Senior Staff and moderators, I can't specifically make comparisons because your resignation was long before I was accepted into the staff team but from personal experience there is a very healthy relationship between all staff members. Our staff team has had its ups and downs in the past, and I can say without a doubt we're working as hard as we can to fix the tensions and problems that may have occured in the past.

I can also relate to your post regarding some members of the community, and it seems like that hasn't changed much. The staff is still taking the same, if not more, abuse from a specific clique of community members who take it upon themselves to give us as much negativity as they can. All I can really say for that is that there will always be haters, and they don't deserve attention.

Props on expressing your opinion, albeit you were a bit late aha. It's always nice to hear out the opinions of former senior staff members, and influential members of the community.

Last edited:

SniperSnakez

District 13
Reaction score
Bye, i saw you active a lot during 2012, you were one of the moderators i liked. bye.

Stephanie

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Slasher ;-;

You were the best Sr. Mod this community ever had. Everyone knew who you were. You were always willing to help everyone. Also the convos between MC and you were/are so funny.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Oh the memories of you as Sr. Staff here... loved reading this whole post. Now I wanna see Tacoface1234 make a thread like this :3

EDIT: The list and the nostalgia is killing me...

Last edited:

Sam

Destroyer of Worlds
Reaction score
You denied my first mod app </3

Seeing that list brings back good memories of old friends :) <3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member