• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Some ideas to improve the network that don't include the anti-cheat.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
  1. Fix the anti-cheat (the title was a lie).
  2. Let the chat be toxic (totally a great idea, what could possibly go wrong!).
  3. Get rid of underplayed maps.
  4. Bring back AU
  5. ...
I am only joking. Here are my ideas (the title was not a lie):

Advertising:
Now that MCGamer has had an exciting new update, it is time to look to attract new players, and to bring back old ones who may have moved on. Almost all Minecraft networks put a lot of effort into advertising, but MCGamer has never really been that big on advertising. However, with the community a lot smaller than it was before, it is time to put some effort into growing the community again. To do so I have two things that I would like to see happen:

1. Start the Twitter giveaways again. The Twitter account has been inactive since December. Tweet about the Summer update, and do a retweet and follow for a chance to win a few platinum ranks. This will help spread the word about the Summer Update and the network in general.

2. Start using voting websites. I believe MCGamer may be on a few of them? Not really too sure, but if they are they put no effort into giving people an incentive to vote, or even telling people that they should vote in the first place. Almost all major MC networks use voting websites. They don't do this for nothing. They do actually work. MCGamer needs to start doing the same.

MCGamer should make it so that if vote on one of the voting websites, then you get a small amount of MCGamer Credits as a reward. This will allow non-donors who would like to host a game of MCSG Maker, or buy a cheaper store item a chance to do so while by helping advertise the community, instead of spending real money. The amount of credits should be priced strategically, so in order to be able to purchase anything of value you have to first vote enough time to attract enough new players to the network. This way it is a win win. MCGamer grows and gains new potential donors, while you get MCGamer Credits as a small reward.
Forums moderation:
I don't usually criticize the staff team as a whole, but I have been seeing stuff on the forums that shouldn't be there. This is happening mostly in the less viewed corners of the website. I have seen a few instances recently where something was sitting for several hours that should not have been there. Some of the content had other community members interacting with it, so staff please try to skim through the less popular sections more often.

Forums format:
In my opinion there are way too many sub-forums within the forums. For every gamemode, the solo variant has a whole sub forum with its own place for discussion, features suggestions, and tips and strategies. There is not much content that would only relate to the solo variation and not both versions. It would be better to just have one forum for each gamemode as a whole. If someone is creating a thread specifically for the solo version, they can state so in the thread. Right now out of the few threads that are sitting in those sub forums, almost all of them should be in the main forum for that gamemode.

Additionally, the MCGamer Discussion and MCGamer Features Suggestion needs to go. If you want your thread to get more views, you post it in the Community Corner like I am doing with this very thread. For most of MCSG/MCGamer's history this type of thread has gone in the Community Corner. When those sections were added a lot of people have continued (including myself) to use the Community Corner. It is not like there are a ton of people using the forums right now, so it is more convenient to keep the discussion in a limited number of places. Besides, this is what we are use to doing.

Community Q&As with Chad and/or developers:
Chad's two Q&A sessions last year were a tremendous success. Allowing the community to ask questions, even if they are predictable helps clear up areas of uncertainty, and provides the community with confidence in those who determine the future of the network. I am fine with admins answering some questions as well, but most of the questions are going to be dev or Chad related (just like staff meetings :p). And besides, if I have a question for an admin I can get an answer in 5 minutes assuming they are awake.

Reaction score
First things first, I'm first comment! Secondly, I 100% agree we should do more advertising and doing the voting thing is an amazing idea with the credits! This is a great thread! :thumbsup: (y)

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
Admins need to let Sr. Staff and Mods do more stuff

We need mcsg to have stable updates

MCSG needs to listen to community, rather than staff telling community what will happen

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
Admins need to let Sr. Staff and Mods do more stuff

We need mcsg to have stable updates

MCSG needs to listen to community, rather than staff telling community what will happen
I think the admins need more power from Chad, and the Sr. Mods should take up a little more power from the Admins. Agreed.

The Summer Update seemed pretty stable, or it at least was after a day or two. That is pretty good for a major update. The only thing that still seems to need more fine tuning is the anti-cheat, but it is hard to test and anti-cheat without setting it loose.

Skywars was one of the most requested new gamemodes, and the anti-cheat is getting worked on. I don't see how they are not listening. What areas are you talking about specifically?

OhFancy

District 13
Reaction score
I agree with you, we need to start the twitter back up and attract more players.

I am also making a big suggestion. The removal of permanent donor ranks (Except quantum) and reducing prices. With this, it stops one-off pays and can help fund the server a hell of a lot more.

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
I agree with you, we need to start the twitter back up and attract more players.

I am also making a big suggestion. The removal of permanent donor ranks (Except quantum) and reducing prices. With this, it stops one-off pays and can help fund the server a hell of a lot more.
Well I disagree with the perm donor rank thing. It doesn't necessarily mean making more money. If you make the montly prices cheaper and remove lifetime, then you will have to have a rank for several months to pay the price of a current lifetime rank. Players could lose interest in the network, or decide that they no longer want a donor rank anymore before that.

I guess the counter argument to that would be that more players would donate as the prices were cheaper, but then maybe MCGamer should just take a way gold lifetime and make it a really cheap monthly rank. That way you have a super affordable rank. Anyone remember when MCGamer sold monthly iron ranks for $2 or something like that as a sale for a month? The whole chat was gray lol. Maybe not that cheap, but $3-5 monthly gold w0uldn't be a bad idea. Right now not many people buy gold because it isn't worth the price compared to the other ranks.

At the end of the day, the prices and the donor scheme is not MCGamer's problem. The problem is that there are not enough players on the network. This means there are then not enough people willing to donate. That is the problem that needs to be fixed.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
The summer update proved that MCSG is stretched too thin in updates. It seems as if somewhere someone said "Fine. I give up. If they want Badlion, give them Badlion."

I've said this before but there was nothing wrong with the MCSG points system. You gain your points based on how skilled the other player is and you lose them based on how many you have. That very philosophy was one of the first to be brought to Minecraft, and was pioneered by MCSG. This new ELO system makes literally no sense to me. Some matches I lose upwards of 50 points, and others I lose three. Renaming it to ELO just makes it like all the other competitive severs when it could have been ranking, points, even bounty like it always has been.

UHCSG and Skywars are incredible but why haven't we capitalized on Battlegrounds and turned it into a fully ranked competitive arena gamemode? Battlegrounds was one of the first large scale kit pvp gamemodes on Minecraft and it's just sat on all this potential for two and a half years now collecting dust.

The summer update was nice, but there will have to be major changes as well in staffing, staff attitude, gamemode development and efficiency for anything to get better.

Oh and Chad would be nice to see around

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
The summer update proved that MCSG is stretched too thin in updates. It seems as if somewhere someone said "Fine. I give up. If they want Badlion, give them Badlion."

I've said this before but there was nothing wrong with the MCSG points system. You gain your points based on how skilled the other player is and you lose them based on how many you have. That very philosophy was one of the first to be brought to Minecraft, and was pioneered by MCSG. This new ELO system makes literally no sense to me. Some matches I lose upwards of 50 points, and others I lose three. Renaming it to ELO just makes it like all the other competitive severs when it could have been ranking, points, even bounty like it always has been.

UHCSG and Skywars are incredible but why haven't we capitalized on Battlegrounds and turned it into a fully ranked competitive arena gamemode? Battlegrounds was one of the first large scale kit pvp gamemodes on Minecraft and it's just sat on all this potential for two and a half years now collecting dust.

The summer update was nice, but there will have to be major changes as well in staffing, staff attitude, gamemode development and efficiency for anything to get better.

Oh and Chad would be nice to see around
As for the ELO thing not sure why it is weird because there is suppose to be a certain formula for calculating it all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system It is not always used exactly like that, but it usually is pretty close. I haven't actually tried any of it out myself because I am on my slow laptop right now, so I am trying to not destroy my stats.

Anyway as for Battlegrounds I totally agree. I have already been asking devs and sr. staff for this since the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci