• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Targeting and Tryharding: A Bad Move?

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I would've thought that natural selection would make the in-game community smarter in terms of gameplay decisions. However, there are still a lot of players that don't make the most logical choice.

Targeting/ Tryharding
I swore I would never mention Target ever, but I guess I just broke that.
A lot of players like to tryhard or target. Let's get my definitions straight so you know what I mean.

Targeting: Going for one specific player, even when you get the chance to kill players that could give you more gear. This includes punching a guy off of spawn because "this map is bad."
Tryharding: This is just playing in a very offensive manner. Tryhards usually strive to get every kill, so they will chase you forever.​

Here is why doing these things are generally a bad idea.
Targeting isn't fun for anyone. You don't get anything out of it other than some points. If you are targeting because someone offended you, they probably are just going to hate you. And when you get hate, you get targeted.
Another thing to mention here is that you should kill whoever has gear for you. Don't harass Huahwi while you could get a fishing rod! Never go for Graser if you could kill a stacked player and win the game!
If you want to get a good player out of the game, that's okay, but don't focus them so much that you will be understacked and die anyway.
Tryharding is not as stupid, but if you do it, try to make smart decisions. Will you kill that full iron guy so you don't have competition in deathmatch, or would you rather go for that noob?
Generally, you want to have as much fun as you can, and so does everyone else. Don't waste your time making bad decisions. Always try hard, but don't do it so much that it annoys everyone else.

So what do you think? Are these "strategies" good or bad? You decide! Post below!

But that's just a theory.
A Forum Theory!
Thanks for reading!

K

KiDD

Targeting obviously, well in my opinion at least, is not really a practical thing to do at all. I don't see how it ever could be. Bad move. For tryharding, I wouldn't exactly categorize it as extreme offensive play, although it does a part. I define tryharding as trying as hard as possible win, no matter an obstacle. With that being said, if someone needs to play defense to win a match or even just a fight, they're going to play defensive. If someone needs to chase a team when they're low so they can win that fight or the game by getting more equipment, or whatever it may be, they're going to it. So put simply, I think tryharding is doing what you need to do, to win or get an advantage. Tryharding isn't really wrong, but can be annoying at times.

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If you don't mind i'm going to make a video with this topic...
In my opinion, targeting is a pretty low thing to do. However 9 times out of 10, when someone complains that they were being targeted it was simply a case of someone getting a stone sword from corn and killing the person next to them or two people going on the same route, one of them getting a weapon, and killing the other.
As for tryharding i personally think that is just an excuse that people use when they die. You can't get made at me for trying to win the game, that's stupid. "Tryharding" is what you're supposed to do, try to win. Maybe the person went for the "noob" before deathmatch so they could have a 1v1 with the full iron guy, without having to worry about getting cleaned up. If the person who won the game was a "tryhard" then good for them, they must have wanted to win.

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
But that's just a theory.
A Forum Theory!
Thanks for reading!
Theorist in DAH HOSUSUSUUSUSUSEEEE.
Targetting is useless, from off spawn it would be more efficient to go to your route. On a person if they run forever they will get away. 'Tryharding' is used like 'pinger', its a way people rage at each other. You should try a bit though to win, otherwise it isn't fun. :p

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I agree that tryharding is good in small amounts. But it seems that some players are intentionally trying so hard to win that they end up making the game unsatisfying for everyone, including themselves.

Take increased tolerance as an example. This is common in alcoholics. When they have one drink every day, the effects of being high will not be as strong. So they have to drink twice per day. Then thrice. Their body is getting used to having the alcohol there, so it's decreasing the "high" feeling.

Now imagine that a tryhard is like an alcoholic. They try to get one win a day, but that's not enough. Time to try for two wins a day. Three. Four. They start to "binge MCSG," so if they only win once in a day, they don't feel any satisfaction from it. Overall, this means that a person can be unhealthily obsessed. I hope this is a slow effect, otherwise people would never be grateful for winning.

BAGHRB

Career
Reaction score
Tryharding, as stated above, is the way you SHOULD play - I wouldn't necessarily call it a strategy. You should play to win, and in the experience have fun. It's not about how hard someone is trying - some will try harder than others, or at least it will seem like it, which is the origin of the unofficial word.
Targeting, on the other hand is NOT how you should play. When I say targeting, I mean ACTUAL targeting, not "oh no, some guy chased me for 5 seconds and killed me! sjdhsjafhsa;fdh!", but let's say a YouTuber or known player being chased around for the entire game. I can see how this can destroy the game for said victim, and your favorite YouTuber won't upload for 3 weeks now, boo hoo for you-hoo. This is in no way a strategy, but more of a form of harassment, since it does not help the targeter win, at least in most cases.

That's all I have to say, thanks for "reading the whole thing".

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I agree that tryharding is good in small amounts. But it seems that some players are intentionally trying so hard to win that they end up making the game unsatisfying for everyone, including themselves.

Take increased tolerance as an example. This is common in alcoholics. When they have one drink every day, the effects of being high will not be as strong. So they have to drink twice per day. Then thrice. Their body is getting used to having the alcohol there, so it's decreasing the "high" feeling.

Now imagine that a tryhard is like an alcoholic. They try to get one win a day, but that's not enough. Time to try for two wins a day. Three. Four. They start to "binge MCSG," so if they only win once in a day, they don't feel any satisfaction from it. Overall, this means that a person can be unhealthily obsessed. I hope this is a slow effect, otherwise people would never be grateful for winning.
Some people like to try to win. Maybe they want to keep good stats, or they just like wining. Either way i don't think there is a bad kind of "Tryharding"

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If playing aggressively/offensively is considered tryharding (which it isn't) then I guess I'm a tryhard. Anyone who's fought me knows how offensive I am.

My definition is the polar opposite. Tryhards are people who play very defensive to the point where they hardly even fight, just use defensive tactics (excessive rod use, bow lock, FnS cut offs). Maybe I'm inclined to think that because of my totally aggressive play style, but I find that people who try to drag out a fight for as long as possible, for no discernible reason are trying a bit too hard.

I also have little time for defensive people when PvPing as my patience for such things (or lack thereof at times) wears thing easily. :3

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
Its just a Lego game...No but to be honest I hate when people target me off spawn...a few days ago some guy targeted me for like 3-5 minutes, killed me and said "Revenge" I smiled xD

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Let's make this clear.
Tryharding is when you play so freaking hard that it's stupid.

End of discussion

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Let's make this clear.
Tryharding is when you play so freaking hard that it's stupid.

End of discussion
But what we're saying is its impossible to "Play so hard its stupid" That's just an excuse people make when they are mad because they died to a better player. If they are playing so hard, why don't you do the same? than you would have a better chance of winning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci