• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The 5th MCGamer Awards (Quarter Quell Edition): Nominations Now Open!

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
It's not that VIPs can request people to be banned and it happens. Firstly, he had only one prior offense for abuse. Secondly, people can be banned without reason on one condition: if Chad wants to, he can. Tomahawk was angry that Justl made fun of him, referencing "4head", and asked that he be permanently banned. Not sure where it went from there specifically, but Justl ended up permanently banned for that reason. And as for the lasting negative impression, that is incorrect. What you end with has nothing to do with what matters. If an olympic swimmer littered and died two minutes later, what do people remember him as, negative or positive?? As for your second-to-last point, I've known a few senior mods (one of which is now admin) and dozens of moderators, plenty of which I'm still friends with now. Guess what, they have a tendency to agree if they're in the regular pvp community or just community of regular players instead of those who hermit themselves among other staff members. And for your final point, I'm not regarding them. I'm regarding those who actually touch the forums, know what they're doing on the servers, etc. Who cares about JohnDoe12345 they make no difference to anyone whatsoever. I'm talking about people who are influential on the community at least a little like Soulv2, kranzo, nativetalent, harborseal, chriscomedies, attackdog91, africannswallow, anyone who actually knows what the living hell they're actually doing. Now don't be the stereotypical staff/ex-staff member who defends every single thing everybody does in staff as if they're perfect. They make mistakes, they do wrong, etc.
I don't know if arguing with you is worth it considering the direction this is going, but I'll do it anyway.
It's not that VIPs can request people to be banned and it happens. Firstly, he had only one prior offense for abuse. Secondly, people can be banned without reason on one condition: if Chad wants to, he can. Tomahawk was angry that Justl made fun of him, referencing "4head", and asked that he be permanently banned. Not sure where it went from there specifically, but Justl ended up permanently banned for that reason.
I completely accept the fact that the staff are not perfect. However, your argument does nothing but state that occasionally people can be unfairly banned. You have blown the most extreme example possible out of proportion. Justl may have been unfairly banned, but most of the time people deserve their bans. When someone is unfairly banned, they're usually not a chivalrous, thoughtful, bubbly character. He/she may have also intentionally angered the staff without actually breaking any rules, which increases their chances of being banned in the first place or for a longer period of time. He/she may have pushed the line to see how far they can stretch the rules. When ban appeals are reviewed, they have to use a level of judgment in order to decide if the person has really changed, or if they are just going to come back and cause more problems. When it comes down to it, the staff can really ban whoever they feel is a problem, as long as the higher-ups agree. Usually the ban can be categorized as abuse, or some broad rule. It's not necessarily just, but they can. They have to keep things running smoothly and maintain order.
And as for the lasting negative impression, that is incorrect. What you end with has nothing to do with what matters. If an olympic swimmer littered and died two minutes later, what do people remember him as, negative or positive??
It really doesn't matter what the people's impression on a banned player is. The important thing is that a banned player shouldn't receive an award. Even if someone was banned for saying "hi", they shouldn't receive and award because it could change the way players view banned players. If you would like me to use your analogy, it's like a great olympic swimmer littered, got sent to jail, and then died the day after they arrived at jail. The fact that the olympic swimmer ended their life in jail, though it was over practically nothing, taints their image forever. (Not completely, but a fair amount.) Promoting the banned players of the community could cause "#UnbanSoAndSo" sentiments, which are really not needed and won't solve anything. Besides, if a banned player somehow did receive an award, they likely wouldn't care or ever find out. That being said, I doubt many banned players even have a remote chance at earning an award.
As for your second-to-last point, I've known a few senior mods (one of which is now admin) and dozens of moderators, plenty of which I'm still friends with now. Guess what, they have a tendency to agree if they're in the regular pvp community or just community of regular players instead of those who hermit themselves among other staff members. And for your final point, I'm not regarding them. I'm regarding those who actually touch the forums, know what they're doing on the servers, etc. Who cares about JohnDoe12345 they make no difference to anyone whatsoever. I'm talking about people who are influential on the community at least a little like Soulv2, kranzo, nativetalent, harborseal, chriscomedies, attackdog91, africannswallow, anyone who actually knows what the living hell they're actually doing.
So you've been on the forums for two weeks and you've been friends with dozens of moderators and all of those people? You're either lying, have a very complex social life, or you're on an alt.

I, for one, don't think that we should go around handing out awards to banned people. Since Lively's post got more likes than yours, I don't think you can necessarily argue that 90% of the community agrees with you. That estimate is probably quite high. Maybe that stems from the fact that people are generally friends with people who think like them. The statement "I've been talking to some people and they all agree" says virtually nothing in any argument, since we typically congregate with people who either think like us or are too scared to disagree. Many people around MCG don't want to come out and disagree with the staff, because that generally ends badly. The fact that you called me a suck-up/blind believer of the staff despite the fact that you know nothing about me indicates that you are either very rude or you are simply overly zealous about this argument.

Anyways, the fact that you've taken it this far makes me think that you are a banned player on an alt-why do you care so much about something that matters so little?

CoolDarkraiDude

Platinum
Reaction score
I don't know if arguing with you is worth it considering the direction this is going, but I'll do it anyway.

I completely accept the fact that the staff are not perfect. However, your argument does nothing but state that occasionally people can be unfairly banned. You have blown the most extreme example possible out of proportion. Justl may have been unfairly banned, but most of the time people deserve their bans. When someone is unfairly banned, they're usually not a chivalrous, thoughtful, bubbly character. He/she may have also intentionally angered the staff without actually breaking any rules, which increases their chances of being banned in the first place or for a longer period of time. He/she may have pushed the line to see how far they can stretch the rules. When ban appeals are reviewed, they have to use a level of judgment in order to decide if the person has really changed, or if they are just going to come back and cause more problems. When it comes down to it, the staff can really ban whoever they feel is a problem, as long as the higher-ups agree. Usually the ban can be categorized as abuse, or some broad rule. It's not necessarily just, but they can. They have to keep things running smoothly and maintain order.

It really doesn't matter what the people's impression on a banned player is. The important thing is that a banned player shouldn't receive an award. Even if someone was banned for saying "hi", they shouldn't receive and award because it could change the way players view banned players. If you would like me to use your analogy, it's like a great olympic swimmer littered, got sent to jail, and then died the day after they arrived at jail. The fact that the olympic swimmer ended their life in jail, though it was over practically nothing, taints their image forever. (Not completely, but a fair amount.) Promoting the banned players of the community could cause "#UnbanSoAndSo" sentiments, which are really not needed and won't solve anything. Besides, if a banned player somehow did receive an award, they likely wouldn't care or ever find out. That being said, I doubt many banned players even have a remote chance at earning an award.

So you've been on the forums for two weeks and you've been friends with dozens of moderators and all of those people? You're either lying, have a very complex social life, or you're on an alt.

I, for one, don't think that we should go around handing out awards to banned people. Since Lively's post got more likes than yours, I don't think you can necessarily argue that 90% of the community agrees with you. That estimate is probably quite high. Maybe that stems from the fact that people are generally friends with people who think like them. The statement "I've been talking to some people and they all agree" says virtually nothing in any argument, since we typically congregate with people who either think like us or are too scared to disagree. Many people around MCG don't want to come out and disagree with the staff, because that generally ends badly. The fact that you called me a suck-up/blind believer of the staff despite the fact that you know nothing about me indicates that you are either very rude or you are simply overly zealous about this argument.

Anyways, the fact that you've taken it this far makes me think that you are a banned player on an alt-why do you care so much about something that matters so little?
Haha, you wouldn't understand. This pokes makes me laugh.

Cystolith

Survivor
Reaction score

Firstly, nice rant it was a partially interesting-partially amusing read.
Ok now then for your first point, I may have mentioned the most extreme ban, but unfair bans are everywhere trust me.
Next, I made the impression point as a response to Lively's not because it matters. He acted like the final impression is all that matters which is far from true, so I disproved it. Also, the fact that they don't deserve an award for being banned is incorrect. If you earn an award, you earn it plain and simple. If it's between PhiIIy and nearly anyone for best ex-staff member, phiIIy takes the cake. So why should anyone win over him?
Ok nice some logic. The #UnbanSoAndSo point is legitimate props to you. However, it is flawed. In case you weren't aware, it's a thing anyways and is frequent whenever someone gets banned. But I don't see why it's very disruptive, considering I've seen people be banned for it and the hashtags are shut up within a couple of days.
Ok now for your final paragraph. My social life is quite complex which is irrelevant, and I'm an alt which is irrelevant. Also, I do speak anonymously to players just curious of opinion saying "how do you feel about this" in a poke on ts, on ask.fm, etc. I rarely get differing opinions on matters like these, simply because the community is slowly getting more integrated with people involved. And I, in no attempt to brag or sound overly confident, am often right about them through the eyes of many.
I referred to you this way due to the fact that most people who defend staff in a situation like this tend to be the kiss-asses, the wannabes, the mod-applicants, etc. Sorry for generalizing sometimes I forget opinions are a thing ;)
And finally, no I'm not a banned alt which is once again irrelevant, and how can you say this matters little? Individually, yes, but added up with similar scenarios, no. All it does is further brainwash players into thinking banned players aren't people too. The community already is and the issue being pushed further is something nobody with some sense in their head wants.
PS: the reason lively got more likes is because that's his original forum account, leaving him with more followers. Also, keep in mind the likes are only different by 1. Also, I don't mean to generalize, but it's likely that at least half of his likes ARE kissasses... ;);)

Nick

Community Engagement & Mapping Team Representative
Reaction score
Platinum Donor Giveaway!

Thanks to Chad, this time we have some awesome prizes you can win, simply by voting! That's right, for each round that you vote in (any number of votes for any categories!) you'll be entered into the draw to win one of 5 platinum ranks, just by voting! So get involved and vote for who you think should win each of the categories and you could win yourself a platinum rank! Premium ranks limited to one per person.
UPDATE!
You have the chance to win Platinum donor by just voting, read the quote above for more details!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci