• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Controversy of Gamma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
What upsets me about the rule is it was never an actual rule yet players were still getting banned for it.
It was never stated in the rules or in any thread on the forums. Yet players like Canziano got banned for it.
And with Canziano the evidence used was him reporting a hacker.

Without a rule being made public it shouldn't be or have been ban worthy.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
What upsets me about the rule is it was never an actual rule yet players were still getting banned for it.
It was never stated in the rules or in any thread on the forums. Yet players like Canziano got banned for it.
And with Canziano the evidence used was him reporting a hacker.

Without a rule being made public it shouldn't be or have been ban worthy.
Well, it is a modified client, and only those stated in the rules are allowed. But this should be allowed. (Not saying Canzi's ban was fair)

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Well, it is a modified client, and only those stated in the rules are allowed. But this should be allowed. (Not saying Canzi's ban was fair)
It is not a modified client.
All it is is simply changing your Minecraft settings.

How is that not allowed yet using a texture pack like Darkrai's?

They both give the same effect.

Last edited:

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score

Are people trying to get me banned or something? My name keeps coming up in the texture pack scenario. It actually is getting annoying now. It's called the Maple Pack, not Darkrai's unfair lets complain about gamma pack.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Are people trying to get me banned or something? My name keeps coming up in the texture pack scenario. It actually is getting annoying now. It's called the Maple Pack, not Darkrai's unfair lets complain about gamma pack.
Not at all. I'm just wondering why using that texture pack is allowed yet changing your gamma within your Minecraft settings isn't.

You shouldn't be banned. Changing your gamma should be allowed.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Not at all. I'm just wondering why using that texture pack is allowed yet changing your gamma within your Minecraft settings isn't.

You shouldn't be banned. Changing your gamma should be allowed.
Chanting gamma = Deliberate and people know what they're doing

Downloading Maple Pack or other bright texture packs = Some players don't know about it and just want the texture pack.

I'd presume that's the answer, I may be mistaken. I am personally all for gamma increase being legal, the advantage it provides is merely asthetic and hardly a game-breaking advantage.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Chanting gamma = Deliberate and people know what they're doing

Downloading Maple Pack or other bright texture packs = Some players don't know about it and just want the texture pack.

I'd presume that's the answer, I may be mistaken. I am personally all for gamma increase being legal, the advantage it provides is merely asthetic and hardly a game-breaking advantage.
Changing gamma is something anyone can do. It doesn't require you to download anything. It's all in your Minecraft settings.
The Yogscast even posted a video on how to do it about 6/7 months ago. And with the amount of subscribers they have that are on our servers imagine the number of people already doing it.

I in no way want you to get in trouble. The Admins have already confirmed that your texture pack is allowed.

What I want to know is why is that texture pack allowed yet changing your gamma isn't?

Same effect.

Take a look at the images below. We all know how awful it is to play in the darkness of Moonbase 9.
Using this texture pack gives the same effect of the ban worthy adjusted gamma.

The question is. Why is gamma banned yet the Admins have decided that this texture pack is allowed?

Maple Texture Pack.

Adjusted Gamma

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Changing gamma is something anyone can do. It doesn't require you to download anything. It's all in your Minecraft settings.
The Yogscast even posted a video on how to do it about 6/7 months ago. And with the amount of subscribers they have that are on our servers imagine the number of people already doing it.

I in no way want you to get in trouble. The Admins have already confirmed that your texture pack is allowed.

What I want to know is why is that texture pack allowed yet changing your gamma isn't?

Same effect.

Take a look at the images below. We all know how awful it is to play in the darkness of Moonbase 9.
Using this texture pack gives the same effect of the ban worthy adjusted gamma.

The question is. Why is gamma banned yet the Admins have decided that this texture pack is allowed?

Maple Texture Pack.

Adjusted Gamma

Only guess I'd have is that changing your gamma is something you have to do, you can't say "Oh, I didn't know I changed my gamma! Oops!'

However, if you downloaded a texture pack you could easily say "I downloaded the texture pack because it looked nice!"

That's the only real reason I can think of as to the differences of the two, I don't necessarily believe gamma should be banned but hey, in this community I'm nothing and I have no idea how some or the rules like these work. If you want a detailed reply I'd suggest asking an admin or someone with high authority.

Huahwi

Diamond
Reaction score
Were not trying to get you banned here for using that bright texture pack. Were simply using it as an example to compare it with increased-gamma. If the staffs were to not allow that texture pack, then they will surely tell you to stop using it from here on out.

Only guess I'd have is that changing your gamma is something you have to do, you can't say "Oh, I didn't know I changed my gamma! Oops!'

However, if you downloaded a texture pack you could easily say "I downloaded the texture pack because it looked nice!"

That's the only real reason I can think of as to the differences of the two, I don't necessarily believe gamma should be banned but hey, in this community I'm nothing and I have no idea how some or the rules like these work. If you want a detailed reply I'd suggest asking an admin or someone with high authority.
Everyone here is part of this community and everyone has the right to their own opinions. For something to change, one must speak out. Instead of staying idle and accepting the way things are, speak out for what you believe in.

In a debate you can only choose one side.

Gamma shouldn't be bannable because it is an option in Minecraft and everyone has access to it. This doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage over another.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score

It is though, just as much as Optifine is a modified client. I'm on the same side as you, I'm just disagreeing with that statement.

I think everyone's using the wrong argument. Not everyone has access to it, but it's just like not everyone has access to Optifine. Not everyone knows how to do either of those things, but it's not like people say people don't have access to Optifine. People only say that for other mods.

I think, though arguments saying texture packs/shader's mods used for looks rather than brightness are valid, that Gamma is no more difficult if not less difficult than either of these things, and can be used for the same purpose, because you believe everything looks nicer in a brighter light. Also, saying that Optifine allows you to play the game at a decent FPS and saying that Gamma only gives you an advantage is an invalid point. Gamma can allow you to play at a normal brightness level if you have a dark screen, like several people have said.

I don't think there is any reason why Gamma shouldn't be allowed and other similar things are, which is why I'm on this side.

Philly67

Platinum
Reaction score
Okay, so I've just spoken to an admin, @Dave and he confirmed that changing your gamma is not allowed however using a texture pack with lighter textures is.
So if you want to increase your brightness in MCSG legally just edit your texture pack.
Here's my edit of Redcraft:
Blame @slasherxtreme and @MCJackson for the background noise :)

Assasinator25

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Okay, so I've just spoken to an admin, @Dave and he confirmed that changing your gamma is not allowed however using a texture pack with lighter textures is.
So if you want to increase your brightness in MCSG legally just edit your texture pack.
Here's my edit of Redcraft:
Blame @slasherxtreme and @MCJackson for the background noise :)
That makes no logical sense at all.MCSG staff needs to learn more logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci