• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Current Ban System: Possible Change Needed?

Jyris

Experienced
Reaction score
The current banning system is as it states, a permanent ban for the usage of a hacked client on the MCGamer Network, and a three day ban for abuse as the first offense followed by a five day and so on. These two bans are more of the frequent ones, others include revealing personal information or admitting to the usage of hacked clients, however, those are not seen that much. We know that it's sometimes quite hard to get unbanned, especially for hacking or abuse, the forgiveness policy implemented into MCGamer requires a minimum of nine months or about that long before you have a chance of being forgiven and allowed to play on here once again. My question is, is the current banning system too harsh on players?

From what I've read, hacking used to be a two offense, a one week ban, and then a permanent ban. Researched by Ex-Administrator, Col_Star, he found that over 98% of players continued to hack after their offense was lifted, therefore changing the rules to be a one offense, permanent ban. This was back in 2015 of course, and times have changed since then therefore we may need another change.

In 2015, there were many websites that offered free Minecraft accounts, I personally used them as I was unable to purchase my own at the time. The reason why many people continued to hack was maybe because it wasn't their main account in the first place, it was a public account they used to hack for fun, and because the staff are unable to check one's IP address without sufficient evidence and ban, they were able to go back to playing on their main account. From then and now, Mojang has recently blocked many public accounts, and this includes the distribution of Minecraft accounts from an unauthorized seller. Because of this, many people are only limited to a few accounts now.

Now at this point, I seem to be rambling, but there's a point and I'll shortly get to it. Players who break the rules suffer the consequences even more now, knowing they have no way of playing on their favorite server again unless they pay $25, they are recognizing their mistakes quicker and know what not to do. Due to this, perhaps it could be better that these unbans become more lenient, perhaps even changing the Hacking Offense to a one month ban, then a permanent, and the abuse as well.

The pros of this is that MCGamer gets more players to join, they have a wider database now and a wider community which every server wants. Of course, there are cons that they may go back to breaking the rules again, however, I'd say that the pros outweigh the cons as of now.

So you might be saying, there are still hackers on though, they never learn. This is false, the only reason why hackers are around is because the current anti-cheat that MCGamer uses isn't efficient enough towards catching hackers, when MCGamer finally pulls through with a good anti-cheat, I'd say that putting this ban system could overall help the server even more as they can bring back more players that way.

(Sorry if this confuses you at some points, it's a bit late for me and I flew to Dallas so I'm quite tired)

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
I think a permanent ban for hacking is good, however it shouldn't be that hard to get unbanned (especially with the server's current state). Those that put in thought and dedication into their appeal shouldn't always be denied. It's a game, we're all here to have fun right?

Preston417

Career
Reaction score
This is actually quite an interesting thread, I think the points are well made, I'll just dig deeper into them.

These two bans are more of the frequent ones, others include revealing personal information or admitting to the usage of hacked clients, however, those are not seen that much.
Uh...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My question is, is the current banning system too harsh on players?
Personally (completely non-related to my Moderator role at MCGamer), I think it's not harsh. The number of players in Minecraft is increasing daily, and as you could expect, the number of hackers are as well. In the thread, you brought mention of the public alt account websites. With the shut down of some of the big ones, unfortunately a lot of others have found ways to get passed this, and are actually doing better than they ever have before -- hence why other big servers (namely Hypixel) is unable to keep up with the influx of hackers even with their automated and well made anti cheat (or so I assume).

Players have their chance to escape a permanent ban with one simple ritual: do not hack, and you will not get banned. It's as simple as that. :p

Researched by Ex-Administrator, Col_Star, he found that over 98% of players continued to hack after their offense was lifted, therefore changing the rules to be a one offense, permanent ban. This was back in 2015 of course, and times have changed since then therefore we may need another change.
I don't have research on this like Col did, but I assume it's either still 98%; and if anything, it's increased. Again, I could be very wrong on this. Don't take my word on it!

Players who break the rules suffer the consequences even more now, knowing they have no way of playing on their favorite server again unless they pay $25, they are recognizing their mistakes quicker and know what not to do.
Like I mentioned above, the big alternate account websites have found alternatives. It's not completely gone and is still booming, and free.

So, with that being said, they're just going to come back on, hence no reason for an unban to happen anyways unless the original owner regains access to their compromised account.

So you might be saying, there are still hackers on though, they never learn. This is false, the only reason why hackers are around is because the current anti-cheat that MCGamer uses isn't efficient enough towards catching hackers, when MCGamer finally pulls through with a good anti-cheat, I'd say that putting this ban system could overall help the server even more as they can bring back more players that way.
Anti-cheat or human, a cheater is a cheater -- and cheaters never prosper.

BUT, as a whole, I feel I did not give my feedback on your thread. It's not my place to comment on the unban situation, that's the dispute teams decision to make and discuss, but how I personally feel on the topic is this: if you are smart enough to download and install, and configure a hacked client; you're smart enough to read the rules. Hacking nowadays doesn't require much effort to install, neither does reading the rules. The good thing about our rules is that they're pretty straight forward, and it should be a given that hacking is not allowed regardless. So to sum it up, I feel pretty comfortable with a permanent ban being the first offense punishment.

KR0N0SAU

Experienced
Reaction score
This is actually quite an interesting thread, I think the points are well made, I'll just dig deeper into them.

Uh...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally (completely non-related to my Moderator role at MCGamer), I think it's not harsh. The number of players in Minecraft is increasing daily, and as you could expect, the number of hackers are as well. In the thread, you brought mention of the public alt account websites. With the shut down of some of the big ones, unfortunately a lot of others have found ways to get passed this, and are actually doing better than they ever have before -- hence why other big servers (namely Hypixel) is unable to keep up with the influx of hackers even with their automated and well made anti cheat (or so I assume).

Players have their chance to escape a permanent ban with one simple ritual: do not hack, and you will not get banned. It's as simple as that. :p

I don't have research on this like Col did, but I assume it's either still 98%; and if anything, it's increased. Again, I could be very wrong on this. Don't take my word on it!

Like I mentioned above, the big alternate account websites have found alternatives. It's not completely gone and is still booming, and free.

So, with that being said, they're just going to come back on, hence no reason for an unban to happen anyways unless the original owner regains access to their compromised account.

Anti-cheat or human, a cheater is a cheater -- and cheaters never prosper.

BUT, as a whole, I feel I did not give my feedback on your thread. It's not my place to comment on the unban situation, that's the dispute teams decision to make and discuss, but how I personally feel on the topic is this: if you are smart enough to download and install, and configure a hacked client; you're smart enough to read the rules. Hacking nowadays doesn't require much effort to install, neither does reading the rules. The good thing about our rules is that they're pretty straight forward, and it should be a given that hacking is not allowed regardless. So to sum it up, I feel pretty comfortable with a permanent ban being the first offense punishment.
yay a mod did something! ToxicBlaze

ReRck4

Tribute
Reaction score
Need to get a publisher. You could make it into a novel haha.

ImmaSlapYoFace

Platinum
Reaction score
The permanent banning on hackers should stay because they are all scum of the earth ppl that hack block games. On the other hand a 1 day ban maximum would be better for abuse 1st offence but I think having a 2hr mute 1st offence would be better. Followed by a 4hr mute, 12 hr mute, 1 day mute, 1 day ban, 3 day mute, 3 day ban, then week mute followed by a perm mute. Then after 6 weeks they can apply for an unmute. This gives them 8 chances to not abuse people.

Because lets be honest. Most ppl will say stupid stuff at least about 3 times in about 2-3 months, and with your 3rd offence being a perm ban I find that a bit harsh. Just my personal opinion

Gule

District 13
Reaction score
The Power Of MCGamer is the Power of something.

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's really funny, actually. Back when I was staff, players constantly complained about how hackers were allowed back on the network and just ruined the game for other, legitimate players. Now that the policy has been changed, and more and more hackers are being removed from the network, players are complaining about the fact that we ban too many hackers. It just goes to show that you can't please people no matter what you try ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LilBub

Platinum
Reaction score
Like I've said before on a topic very similar to this..
How many times do you have to punish someone before they stop?
MCGamer already have 3 steps of punishments before someone is perm banned for abuse.. if someone is going to break the rules 3 times and get themselves perm banned why would you want to reduce the punishment time and allow them to come back and do the same thing more frequently and commonly because they are getting off with it easier.

For example.. with this comment

The permanent banning on hackers should stay because they are all scum of the earth ppl that hack block games. On the other hand a 1 day ban maximum would be better for abuse 1st offence but I think having a 2hr mute 1st offence would be better. Followed by a 4hr mute, 12 hr mute, 1 day mute, 1 day ban, 3 day mute, 3 day ban, then week mute followed by a perm mute. Then after 6 weeks they can apply for an unmute. This gives them 8 chances to not abuse people.

Because lets be honest. Most ppl will say stupid stuff at least about 3 times in about 2-3 months, and with your 3rd offence being a perm ban I find that a bit harsh. Just my personal opinion
Why should abusers be given 8 CHANCES to not abuse people?
You're suggesting that MCGamer should allow people to come back 8 times to hurt someone emotionally?
As someone who has been frequently abused on MCGamer, knowing that the person wouldn't continue because they would be banned for an extensive period of time was something I relied on.. reducing that would only prolong the inevitable..

I also agree that the punishment for hackers should stay at permanent, as Jimmer said, people complain about the amount of hackers there are on the server and now are complaining about the amount of time they get banned for? Reducing that would only bring the hackers back onto the server and give the staff more to deal with when they could have been perm banned and then other hackers can be removed too, it's counter productive if we allow hackers back on our server to 98% of the time, hack again.

I hope this all made sense to you because I didn't proof read..
feel free to reply with anything you want to say to this or pm me if you want to discuss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci