• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The depth of death

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
I made a comment about this topic a while ago. I don't necessarily believe that MCGamer is on the road of mortality, but I believe it won't ever be as popular as it was in its prime.

We have to think about what MCGamer offers. Let's see....a very good survival games plugin and....that's about it. These servers were a massive success for a while due to the hype surrounding the movies being one of the main factors expanding our player base. However, once the movie series ends, there won't be many ways the average person could be introduced to this gamemode, based on a trilogy.

The reason why our competitor server, The Hive, experienced such massive growth compared to our puny growth is because they successfully branched out and created a multitude of enjoyable gametypes. A one-trick pony server like MCGamer has its limitations, and if someone doesn't find survival games desirable then there's no reason to play on here. Right now, there are 4804 players on The Hive and 1425 on MCGamer. Of course, there are a multitude of other servers but I used this one in particular for this explanation since it was, in a way, born from MCSG and they were quite similar at the time.

That's not to say that it's necessarily a bad thing (having one really good gamemode and nothing really else). If someone wants a premium survival games experienced in Minecraft, they know where to go. Minecraft servers all fill their own niches. The uber popular servers almost restrictively have multiple minigames, but there would be an imbalance if all the servers that catered to a certain, smaller audience were to suddenly disappear. We play an important role in the balancing of Minecraft servers. Hopefully with the new and upcoming additions, we can enhance the PvP experience this server delivers and cater to a larger player base than the one we have now.

Another glaring issue seems to be that there aren't any very popular YouTubers attracting people to MCGamer. I'm talking hundreds of thousands and millions of subscribers here. In a way, this community is relatively close-knit. If you were to ask a bunch of people how they found out about this server, they would most likely either tell you that they saw it on YouTube or they looked up Minecraft Hunger Games and found this. Nowadays, there aren't floods of new people arriving due to seeing the survival games broadcaster on someone's YouTube channel due to the fact that all of the YouTube channels that produce related content are all relatively small in the grand scheme of things.

In conclusion, I don't believe MCGamer is dying. However, we may be experiencing a very marginal decrease in new arrivals due to the lack of hype surrounding the hunger games. There's always the possibility that some sporadic event can drastically change the course of MCGamer's future. We'll have to wait and see.
What I have to add about your Hive vs MCGamer is that The Hive has lots of masterful gamemodes that are enjoyable. MCSG became MCGamer and tried that same strategy. However they were known as the Minecraft Survival Games. People were attracted by the Survival Games, not these other gamemodes that were added. We may be more successful had they ditched notion to add more gametypes and instead focused on perfecting the gametype we're known for.

MrExtrodinaryMr

Experienced
Reaction score
In my opinion, MCGamer itself isn't going to die any time soon, as long as there are people who find the concept of "Minecraft Hunger Games" fun and come to try it out on this server, it will stay alive. What I believe is slowly dying is the bond that once made the community so special back then.

COMMUNITY WISE:

What I feel is that nowadays the community is split up due to the language barriers, (At least the EU ones, I don't know how the US and AU ones are doing) which makes it harder to interact with people, because most of the time the Turkish or Russian peoples level of English isn't great (Their level of education compared some other countries of the western world is lower), which creates small bubbles where people only interact with their fellow people of their language. This is seen a lot in clans where now where there are either only Russian speaking clans, Turkish speaking clans, sometimes Spanish clans. If you wanted the interact with them, most of the time you'd need to have knowledge in the language their speaking, otherwise it will be very uncomfortable and very awkward to try and have a conversation with these people, which is also why sometimes clan wars were a mess because people would have problems setting up the rules, and etc.

From my perspective, this is also the reason why hackers were such an issue back then (still is I guess, haven't experienced it in ages though), of course there's always these groups of people who come to the server and purposely trying to ruin others experience by hacking, but sometimes the fact that people did not know English and thus couldn't read the rules and know what's wrong and what's right to do on the servers, caused them to think that maybe it's not a bad thing here, which also created all these stereotypes of (All Russians hack, cyka blyat etc...)

This is something that we can't really do anything about it, we can't make the entire community to speak English on good level, but the only thing that is possible is to make the server more language friendly, translate the rules in Russian, Turkish and etc, we can hire more staff from these regions which can help a ton and explain them how the server and the rules work, this is where I actually believe the staff could create some bond between the community.

THE SERVERS GAMEMODE:

The problem that MCGamer has, is that it's really able to offer only 2 enjoyable game-mode: Survival Games and Survival Games solo, and that's it. The rest of the game modes that MCGamer can offer "can" be fun for a game or 2, but not as long as you'll MCSG.
I feel that that's the true weakness of MCGamer, it's ability to expand the server to its wider audience, if you're going to ask people what gamemode pups in their mind when they hear HiveMC or Hypixel, you'll hear a variety of choices, but if you'll ask someone from MCGamer, 99.99% it will be Survival Games, and that's a huge problem, when you take into account the amount of gamemodes it has.

If MCGamer wishes to expand, the only way it can do it is to add gamemodes that are PvP related: Factions (which they had), UHC, (I believe they had that as well?) and also bring Creative (Since it was actually played a lot, no idea why they removed it). Otherwise, it's only really a matter of time until the server will start bringing less traffic.

dam I wrote so much that I think I just completely ignored the question of the OP, oh well.

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
In my opinion, MCGamer itself isn't going to die any time soon, as long as there are people who find the concept of "Minecraft Hunger Games" fun and come to try it out on this server, it will stay alive. What I believe is slowly dying is the bond that once made the community so special back then.

COMMUNITY WISE:

What I feel is that nowadays the community is split up due to the language barriers, (At least the EU ones, I don't know how the US and AU ones are doing) which makes it harder to interact with people, because most of the time the Turkish or Russian peoples level of English isn't great (Their level of education compared some other countries of the western world is lower), which creates small bubbles where people only interact with their fellow people of their language. This is seen a lot in clans where now where there are either only Russian speaking clans, Turkish speaking clans, sometimes Spanish clans. If you wanted the interact with them, most of the time you'd need to have knowledge in the language their speaking, otherwise it will be very uncomfortable and very awkward to try and have a conversation with these people, which is also why sometimes clan wars were a mess because people would have problems setting up the rules, and etc.

From my perspective, this is also the reason why hackers were such an issue back then (still is I guess, haven't experienced it in ages though), of course there's always these groups of people who come to the server and purposely trying to ruin others experience by hacking, but sometimes the fact that people did not know English and thus couldn't read the rules and know what's wrong and what's right to do on the servers, caused them to think that maybe it's not a bad thing here, which also created all these stereotypes of (All Russians hack, cyka blyat etc...)

This is something that we can't really do anything about it, we can't make the entire community to speak English on good level, but the only thing that is possible is to make the server more language friendly, translate the rules in Russian, Turkish and etc, we can hire more staff from these regions which can help a ton and explain them how the server and the rules work, this is where I actually believe the staff could create some bond between the community.

THE SERVERS GAMEMODE:

The problem that MCGamer has, is that it's really able to offer only 2 enjoyable game-mode: Survival Games and Survival Games solo, and that's it. The rest of the game modes that MCGamer can offer "can" be fun for a game or 2, but not as long as you'll MCSG.
I feel that that's the true weakness of MCGamer, it's ability to expand the server to its wider audience, if you're going to ask people what gamemode pups in their mind when they hear HiveMC or Hypixel, you'll hear a variety of choices, but if you'll ask someone from MCGamer, 99.99% it will be Survival Games, and that's a huge problem, when you take into account the amount of gamemodes it has.

If MCGamer wishes to expand, the only way it can do it is to add gamemodes that are PvP related: Factions (which they had), UHC, (I believe they had that as well?) and also bring Creative (Since it was actually played a lot, no idea why they removed it). Otherwise, it's only really a matter of time until the server will start bringing less traffic.

dam I wrote so much that I think I just completely ignored the question of the OP, oh well.
I agree with you about the game mode issue. In my head this will always mcsg, not mcg. I'm sure a lot if people know it as that as well, so they're attracted to the sg game type. All these are other game types that sound interesting to those of us who are here for the community, but you can't even play them. That means it's full of empty game modes that they're trying to fill up, when they should just drop the other game modes and master sg.

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
no. MCSG Was dying. now it is coming back to its glory from the past.
I actually think you have put it better than anyone. Yes it may be true that MCGamer was in a "bad place". However with the help of you, the community we have been able to pull a U-turn and make everything ship shape once again!

crits

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
any thread from mooclan is good, and gets me in the mood to pvp

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
I actually think you have put it better than anyone. Yes it may be true that MCGamer was in a "bad place". However with the help of you, the community we have been able to pull a U-turn and make everything ship shape once again!
I do believe ingame is getting better and leaving the dark place. However, I don't think the forums will ever return to the glory days. Our community is ok, but it was the sheer amount if unique forumers that did it for me in the past.

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I think MCSG started to go on the decline when it switched its focus from only Survival Games, to trying to make all these different gamemodes that really didn't work. (and Variede leaving, but that's another topic). Trying to copy other gamemodes made MCSG lose what it was best known for, Survival Games. I mean, what does MCGamer have that other servers don't? Just survival games, which is one gamemode. More popular servers like Hive or Mineplex have so much more to offer than MCGamer does. I even hate to call it MCGamer, cause it really only has one viable gamemode.
Basically, MCSG is "dying" because it is trying to expand to other gamemodes...and it needs to stick to just one, and improve on that. I think some people are trying to pull MCSG out of the ground and return it to its former glory, but that's not gonna happen, unless some huge youtuber starts making videos about this. (rip bajan)

EDIT: @MrExtrodinaryMr, Mamiamato24 and Beardy all covered basically the same topic so if my post is confusing, go read their posts.

MrExtrodinaryMr

Experienced
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but your hopes are way too high... :/

ALL1DO1SW1N

District 13
Reaction score
God some of you people haven't even been around since the beginning of MCSG. Honestly, if you haven't been on MCSG around 2012 then you can't really have an input when the "best times" were. Ok that aside, now with the whole new gamemode debate. Ok now this is going to sound really unprofessional but here's my immature/lack of thought comment.

HEY MCSG OR MCGAMER HOW ABOUT ADD IN NORMAL GAMEMODES FIRST LIKE UHC AND THE WALLS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. THEN AFTERWARDS WHEN YOU HAVE A BIGGER VARIETY OF AN AUDIENCE THEN HOW ABOUT INTRODUCE THESE NEW GAMEMODES YOU GUYS' THOUGHT OF AND MAYBE PEOPLE WILL ACTUALLY WANT TO PLAY IT! BECAUSE LOGICALLY THEN YOU HAVE A BIGGER BASE OF PLAYERS WHO WILL TRY SOMETHING NEW! NOW THE REASON WHY I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE UM NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY MCSG REPEATEDLY OVER AND OVER AND THATS WHY PEOPLE WHO LEFT EITHER WENT TO SOMETHING LIKE UHC, HCF, HIVE OR CSGO BUT THATS A WHOLE DIFFERENT GAME.

Ok, i'm done acting like an idiot. To sum this all up in one sentence: Add in normal gamemodes that most people like and slowly rise from there.

mikag35

Gold
Reaction score
God some of you people haven't even been around since the beginning of MCSG. Honestly, if you haven't been on MCSG around 2012 then you can't really have an input when the "best times" were. Ok that aside, now with the whole new gamemode debate. Ok now this is going to sound really unprofessional but here's my immature/lack of thought comment.

HEY MCSG OR MCGAMER HOW ABOUT ADD IN NORMAL GAMEMODES FIRST LIKE UHC AND THE WALLS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. THEN AFTERWARDS WHEN YOU HAVE A BIGGER VARIETY OF AN AUDIENCE THEN HOW ABOUT INTRODUCE THESE NEW GAMEMODES YOU GUYS' THOUGHT OF AND MAYBE PEOPLE WILL ACTUALLY WANT TO PLAY IT! BECAUSE LOGICALLY THEN YOU HAVE A BIGGER BASE OF PLAYERS WHO WILL TRY SOMETHING NEW! NOW THE REASON WHY I SAY THIS IS BECAUSE UM NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY MCSG REPEATEDLY OVER AND OVER AND THATS WHY PEOPLE WHO LEFT EITHER WENT TO SOMETHING LIKE UHC, HCF, HIVE OR CSGO BUT THATS A WHOLE DIFFERENT GAME.

Ok, i'm done acting like an idiot. To sum this all up in one sentence: Add in normal gamemodes that most people like and slowly rise from there.
MCSG does have UHC, but nobody plays it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci