• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Homework Help Corner

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
first one would be 3x^-1y^-1z^-1 (assuming im reading it right)
second would be (x^-4y^-5/12)^3 again assuming im reading it right
For the second one, what would it be if you distributed the ^3 outside the bracket?

And for the first one, the answer is 3x^7/yz, I probably didn't write it correctly....
Basically, if there's a bracket around say (3x^2+5x^3)^3 how would you distribute the ^3?

average_name

Career
Reaction score
For the second one, what would it be if you distributed the ^3 outside the bracket?
x^-12y^-15/1728

edit

And for the first one, the answer is 3x^7/yz, I probably didn't write it correctly....
Basically, if there's a bracket around say (3x^2+5x^3)^3 how would you distribute the ^3?
yeah i read the x part wrong, kinda confusing in this format lol
distribute the 3 by multiplication to all exponents in the bracket
second edit: misread the plus sign as multiplication, you would actually have to foil it out (really annoying busy work xD)

Last edited:

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score

I've never done exponents this crazy before, but I don't think either of you have gotten the right answer. I checked my work on http://www.quickmath.com/webMathematica3/quickmath/equations/solve/basic.jsp and it's a lot harder than I thought.
Sucks that you have such a bad math teacher. :(

Anyway, when you have a cube outside of the parentheses, like in problem 2, you just have to rewrite it like this:
(stuff)^3=(stuff)(stuff)(stuff)
Then you have to do a crap load of multiplication. If it was just one term inside the parentheses, then you could just multiply the two exponents, but you can't do that. Example: (3^4)^7=3^28 You have to solve the entire inside first and then apply that ^3 by rewriting it. Sorry man, that looks like a lot of work.

bridgedragon

Diamond
Reaction score
You mean Pemdas? Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.
Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. Fairly eZ
Are you sure? My math teacher has been doing it PEDMAS for like the last 3 weeks.
Oh well.

bridgedragon

Diamond
Reaction score
Order of operations is pretty straightforward. The acronym PEMDAS stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. (As Pandq already mentioned) This is simply the order in which you solve things when faced with simplifying a problem. Figure out anything inside parentheses first, then solve anything that has an exponent on it next.

Multiplication and division come after exponents and parentheses. Multiplication and division are actually the same thing in reverse, (1/3 is the same as 1*0.3333...) so you can multiply and divide things in whatever order you want and it won't change the answer.

Addition and subtraction are also the same thing, just reverses of each other. (1+3 is the same as 1- negative 3) You can do addition and subtraction in whatever order you want and get the
same answer.

EDIT SO SOWWIE FO DOOUBLE

Example:
Simplify this problem: x=(2(4+5)-8^2+6)/4
x=(2(9)-8^2+6)/4 (Solve the parentheses that you can first. The larger parentheses cannot be solved yet, as we need to do more algebra first.)
x=(2(9)-64+6)/4 (Solve the exponent, which is indicated by a ^ on a computer. 8 squared is 64. Note that it is not negative 8 squared, it is just 8 squared. The minus in front of the eight only makes it a negative if it has no exponents.)
x=(18-64+6)/4 (Do whatever multiplication or division you can.)
x=(-40)/4 (Now that you have finished simplifying the parentheses, you can divide by 4.)
x=-10
Thank you very much! C:

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
Are you sure? My math teacher has been doing it PEDMAS for like the last 3 weeks.
Oh well.
The D and the M are interchangeable, as are the A and the S. D stands for Division and M stands for Multiplication, which are used in order from left to right, same with A and S regardless of which one they are.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
I have a beast of a math problem that I need help with, if anyone here has taken calculus.

Find dy/dx. y=tan^(-1)(ln9x^(4))

mr_pendle

Diamond
Reaction score
Name: mr_pendle
Subject(s): Music, Maths, geography
Strength Subject(s) (1-10):

• Music - 9/10 on a good day
  • Maths - It really depends on what specific area, but idk maybe 7-8
  • Geography - 7/10

Members online

No members online now.