• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Honor Initiative

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
As a few of you may know, I sometimes enjoy dabbling in other games such as Starbound, Portal, and DOTA in my spare time. I was playing League of Legends the other night (League is definitely not my strong suit), and came across something interesting.

Basically, once a match is completed, you are given the stats for the game. Kills, damage, turrets destroyed, etc. The most interesting part of that screen is a little thumbs up next to each player's username. After the game completes, and (provided you click the button), the system tells the other player that they played with "honor" were sportsmanlike, showed good teamwork, provided a positive gameplay environment, etc. Over time, you can collect these "honor points" and it will be shown on your profile as a manner of proving that you aren't a toxic player, so to speak. Interestingly enough, I've never seen a user raging in a League lobby post-match - it's all positive comments. Is there a connection? Perhaps so.

Now, my idea is this. Why don't we do the same thing with MCGamer? Add some sort of button next to a player's name in-game, where (after the game is completed, or after you die), you can give them honor points or something of the like to show that they did not rage, they did not abuse, and they were generally a positive player in that particular game. As an added bonus, you could have said "honor points" appear on your profile next to your wins, and you could commend yourself as a positive and helpful player within the community. This way, all of the "gg get shrekt nub scrub 69 LOL" and the like would be toned down hopefully and be replaced with positive comments so we can work towards improving our community.

Let's be honest guys, MCGamer does have an issue when it comes to toxicity. Obviously, it isn't the worst community for abuse (see: Badlion), but we do have a problem on our hands. Personally, I think that this is a great way to start to stamp out the abuse and raging and also help the mods with the tough task of controlling the chat issues. What does everyone think?

For more information about the honor initiative within the League of Legends community, please follow this link: http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/get-started/honor/

Burningcupcakes

Platinum
Reaction score
An interesting idea. Would be interesting to see how it would work and how it could be implemented. However it could be abused, for whatever reason someone would want to have lots of points. +1 for the idea

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
An interesting idea. Would be interesting to see how it would work and how it could be implemented. However it could be abused, for whatever reason someone would want to have lots of points. +1 for the idea
Obviously, it could be abused. The same applies to forum likes.

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
To be honest I love the idea, it's always really hard to try and find ides to "improve" the quality of a community, especially on the internet. However being a long time league player I know this system all to well and to be honest it isn't really anything to be praised, although I do commend the effort that RiotGames to improve the community.

During early levels of league of legends the system works fine. Most players are pretty chill and eager to learn the game, except those veteran players that are just leveling up their smurfs. Most people in these early levels are usually quite generous in using the honour system, only once you've played a lot more games, you forget it even exists. In the past 100 games in normal games/high elo ranked games I have only gotten one honour for teamwork.

That's kind of where the problem lies here, the problem with our community is mainly coming from players that have been here for a while now, veteran players that are finding the game dull and finding entertainment in what we call "toxicity." The people we want to change for the better will most likely ignore this system and even forget that it even exists. Even though I say this, it can help the people that aren't in this category.

tl;dr: It doesn't really solve the bigger issue, but it's a start that we have to make some time.

Gule

District 13
Reaction score
I don't know really what happened but if you solved the issue I'm happy for yah Jimmer.

MoLoToV

Platinum
Reaction score
I've never seen a user raging in a League lobby post-match - it's all positive comments. Is there a connection? Perhaps so.
You've obviously not played a lot of league then... The post-match lobby has a lot of toxic messages usually. Also, the honor system is a failed and rarely used feature on LoL (you never see anyone with the ribbons), and they are trying to find a way to rework it

Jimmer

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
You've obviously not played a lot of league then... The post-match lobby has a lot of toxic messages usually. Also, the honor system is a failed and rarely used feature on LoL (you never see anyone with the ribbons), and they are trying to find a way to rework it
I've played a fair bit, as have my friends. Hasn't been an issue according to them and my overall experience. Although we could just be an anomaly, who knows.

Snoopy_

Spectator
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea! For everything, there will always be a way to abuse so that's not a reason not to do this. I think this is a great way to make MC-Gamer more of a positive community. Great idea Jimmer !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci