• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Official Glade's Album Reviews Thread

Glade_OS

Experienced
Reaction score
Ride the Lightning
Metallica

The Review
Well, after me being lazy for a couple of days, I am finally getting to that Ride the Lightning review, so let us commence. Ride the Lightning was the second album by Thrash Metal band, Metallica. It 8 tracks, with one being an instrumental and another being a single. It was released under Megaforce (sort of like Dragonforce, but a record label and Mega :p). It was written by James Hetfield (Lead Vocals and Rhythm Guitar), Kirk Hammett (Lead Guitar), Cliff Burton (Bass Guitar and Backing Vocals) and Lars Ulrich (Drums and Bells). Now let us commence this short but sweet review.

Song 1 - Fight Fire With Fire:

We start off with the opening song named after a common term/catchphrase, Fight Fire With Fire. It starts off a little slow but will immediately pick up into a fast and furious song that Metallica is known for. Personally, I think the best way to describe this song is chaos. It is rather fast and also has the normal vocals of Hetfield however they can be a little weird at times, especially during the chorus. That is why I will give the opening track an 8/10

Song 2 - Ride the Lightning:
Now we have the title track, my favorite track, and the only track I currently own, Ride the Lightning. The guitar and drums start off with an amazing, addictive opening and hardly let up throughout the song. Then after that the vocals will kick in, which I think is probably about facing death via the electric chair (hence the cover and title). Unlike Fight Fire With Fire, I didn't find this song as chaotic but I prefer this over Fight Fire With Fire. That is why I will light this song up with a 10/10

Song 3 - For Whom the Bell Tolls:
Now we have one of the more well known Metallica songs, For Whom the Bell Tolls. Personally, I think this song has a more Enter Sandman vibe, which I quite enjoy since Enter Sandman is one of my favorite songs. The drums are also pretty simple to figure out for people looking to play along with the drums. I think the song mainly relies on the instruments over vocals, which works quite well in this song's case. That is why the bell will toll for the rating of a 9/10

Song 4 - Fade to Black:
Often said to be one of Metallica's best works, we now have Fade to Black. This song is the ballad of the album and is one of the longer songs, clocking in at 6:57 minutes. Compared to Metallica's other works, I found the song to be a little more tame, but still having the feel of a Metallica song. I also do in fact agree on the song being one of Metallica's best, however I think it would have made more sense on the Black Album (the name speaks for me). That is why I will give this song a 10/10

Song 5 - Trapped Under Ice:
This album just loves to mention death doesn't it. Well, now we have Trapped Under Ice. This song is the song that goes back into the heaviness after Fade to Black. It reminds me a lot of Ride the Lightning in many ways, however I prefer Ride the Lightning over this song. That doesn't technically make this song bad, just not as good as Ride the Lightning and Fade to Black. That is why this song will get a 9/10

Song 6 - Escape:
Probably the least popular song off the album, we now have Escape. The lyrical style sort of reminds me of AC/DC for some odd reason, despite having no relationship (I am weird x3). Personally, I can kind of see why this song isn't as popular. It is sort of one of those songs that is in between good and bad. It isn't quite good, but isn't quite bad. That is why it will escape with a rating of 7/10

Song 7 - Creeping Death:
We now get to another death song and the only single off the album, Creeping Death. This is probably the third best song on the album, right behind Ride the Lightning and Fade to Black. It is sort of like Ride the Lightning in a sense except a little faster. That is why this song creeps in with a 10/10

Song 8 - Call of Ktulu:
And now we come up to the only instrumental I have reviewed, Call of Ktulu. To be honest, I hate instrumentals when it comes to music like this. It doesn't help that it is the longest song on the album. Personally, instrument wise it is very similar to Fade to Black, but without the vocals. That is why this song will be getting a 6/10

Conclusions:
So after almost losing this review to pop-up ads (GET RID OF THESE :mad:), I can say I am slightly pissed off. But whatever rating this ends up with, keep in mind the amount of songs is affecting the score slightly, being it only has 8 songs. This has led the final score of being an 8.63/10. I would like to thank everyone for reading this and next time I will review Purple by Stone Temple Pilots. See you all then ^_^

Final Score:
8.63/10

Glade_OS

Experienced
Reaction score
MOSH PIT :D
Various Artists

The Review
So this is a little thing I am doing as my 10th episode special. So there are some albums where they have a good song on it, however the other songs on the album are not really too good. This is also for songs that are currently singles from albums that have not been released. It will work like a normal review with the scoring, which includes the final score. I will be reviewing a total of ten songs spanning different times, genres, bands, and albums. So anyways, let us get started with the first special and the first mosh pit review.

Song 1 - Black Heart Queen by Gallows:

This one is a rather peculiar case for the genre it is in. It is written by hardcore punk band, Gallows and is only on the U.K. release of the album, which is called Orchestra of Wolves. The song is about 5 minutes long, however the last part of the song drags on for a while. Also, like most hardcore punks, you can barely understand what the lead singer is saying. Although, it surprisingly works somewhat well with the song. That is why it will gain a final review, from the queen of album reviews, of 7/10

Song 2 - Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedys (Explicit):
From the name of the band, you can probably tell what genre this song is in. It comes off the Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables album and is often considered a punk anthem. It incorporates elements of post-punk and hardcore punk and is a very addictive song. The song only lasts about 3:43 seconds for the single, however, on the album it lasts 4:38. I have also referenced this song in reviews before this so you know I like it (although it does say the N word in it :/). That is why I will give this holiday, even though in real life the holiday would suck, a 10/10

Song 3 - You're Going Down by Sick Puppies (Explicit):
I am probably disappointing someone by having this song on this review. You're Going Down is an alternative metal song by Sick Puppies. Just to re-assure people, I might review another one of their albums so this might not be the last you see of Sick Puppies. The song has a pretty good bass part to start off, which sort of reminds me of Holiday in Cambodia's opening bass line. The song is also pretty addictive like Holiday in Cambodia. That is why I am bringing this song down with a 10/10

Song 4 - Drown by Bring Me the Horizon:
Next we have a post-hardcore song by Bring Me the Horizon. This is one of those cases where the song is a single so I can not review the album. It is definitely a good song, being one of my favorites in the post-hardcore genre. The drum beat is probably my favorite part of the song but it does have some pretty good vocals along with it. I wasn't as big of the guitars on the song though. That is why Drown will only be getting a 9/10

Song 5 - Psycho by Muse (Explicit):
This is probably the first time I have seen a Muse song be explicit (correct me if I am wrong), but that doesn't take away from the song. The song is a hard rock song and will be released on Muse's upcoming album, Drones (which comes out in June around the time school ends :D). Personally, I think the star of the song is the instruments although the vocals are decent. Although, sadly for some people, I have never really been the biggest fan of most of Muse's music (exceptions being Plug-in Baby,Uprising, and Knights of Cydonia) but I do like the song. That is why I will give this song an 8/10

Song 6 - Failure by Breaking Benjamin:
This song is one of those songs that can be considered to be part of multiple genres. In Failure's case, it is Alternative Metal, Hard Rock, and Post-Grunge. The song will be going on Dark Before Dawn, which is the bands most recent album after a five year hiatus. Personally, I enjoy the song in a way but not at the same time. It is good but compared to some of Breaking Benjamin's other work (such as Diary of Jane), it isn't as good. That is why Failure shall get a 7/10

Song 7 - The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson (Explicit):
Just as a note, this is the only song I will ever review by Marilyn Manson. This song comes off Marilyn's album Antichrist Superstar (that title alone is enough to make me not review his material again), and is often regarded as some one of their best songs. The song incorporates industrial metal elements as its musical style. The music video also needs mention, since the band is technically a shock rock band. Personally, I think the video is creepy as f***. However, what is going on in the video is justified with the music itself. Despite the song being by one of the most controversial rock artists ever, it is very catchy. That is why I will give this...very...creepy...song a 10/10

Song 8 - I Want Out by Young Guns:
I think the best way to describe this song is the anthem for people who hate love (so Emos :D). The song is surprisingly catchy since compared to other alternative rock songs, I do not like this one as much. The instruments work rather well with vocals although I am not a big fan of how the vocalist sounds (no offense to the vocalist). The song kind of reminds me of the 70s (and not the rock that came out of it :/), so it is a good throwback. That is why the song will get a 6/10

Song 9 - Love Buzz by Nirvana:
Expect to see Nirvana in the future since well...they are kind of iconic. After researching the song a bit, I actually found out the song was a cover of a song by Shocking Blue. The song is mainly a acid and psychedelic rock song although it has some grunge elements, being a Nirvana song. Although, the song is rather repetitive like some other songs (Rape Me for example. And before mods say it is inappropriate language, THAT IS THE NAME OF THE SONG). Even though, I am prefer Nirvana's other songs, I will still be giving this song a review of 9/10

Song 10 - Leave It All Behind by Cult to Follow:
Currently, this is the only song by Cult to Follow on iTunes but it does say a lot for how the band would or does (don't know if they distribute songs by other means) make songs. Personally, the song is simple but very catchy in both instruments and vocals. Especially when the vocalist says "Suffocate everything and complicate everything. They seal your fate everyday but you can't believe it." That is why I will end this mosh pit with another 10/10

Conclusions
So now you know which albums I will not be reviewing but don't worry. I might have another mosh pit some other time to celebrate another special, except even bigger. The reviews are mainly mixed during these though since the songs are in fact all by different artists. I will now end this mosh pit of with a score of 8.6/10. I hope you enjoy this mosh pit, and I will be reviewing Purple by Stone Temple Pilots next. See you guys then ^_^

Final Score:
8.6/10

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci