• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The One-Strike Policy - Would it help?

Do you support a one-strike policy/would you actively report players?

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters

IronOre12

Platinum
Reaction score
The one things I've learned from moderating there, especially in such a small community with complete ban logs, is that players who are unbanned will continue to hack. Players, whether they are 8, 12, 15, 25, etc. aren't stupid. They know that hacking is wrong and a temporary ban isn't a deterrent. They will either wait for their ban to expire, and continue to hack, or never join that server again.
I'm sorry, but that is extremely ignorant. I hacked back in May, and was banned. Do you see me now? Just because people make mistakes doesn't mean you can knock them off of the face of planet. You can't just make general assumptions about a group of players with statistical evidence from another server. An Ex-MCG Moderator, C0nsole to be exact, once talked about how two-strikes gives the player an opportunity to redeem themselves. Also, do you think MCG would make hacking permban worthy, if hackers over one year old can apply for mod?

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
MCAlts is a virus that uploads your last login in your .minecraft to the website where it is decrypted and put for sale. I know this for a fact as my friends have gotten their accounts stolen by it. NEVER EVER USE MCALTS.

Mr_Ant87

Diamond
Reaction score
First off, thank you all for your replies. Ceroria | XyZebrAbC, you make some really great points and while I agree that there are some mods online and helping on Teamspeak, I've seen a large portion in [DND] rooms. (No, I don't poke them. I just let the hacker go and mind my own business.) Yes, as of now the forum reports can get handled, but if a reward system were to be put in place I was worried about the influx of reports. I was not trying to reprimand the current staff team, as they do an amazing job at getting to reports.

Accounts getting hacked is actually quite rare. Yes, if their password is 'password123' or something along those lines, they did it to themselves. And if their account was hacked, they are never getting it back. I've read threads about it and the hacker will change security questions & often gets a hold of the victims email as well. (Therefore no password reset!) There are also websites where you can buy/rent hundreds of accounts for only a couple dollars, meaning there are so many hacked accounts in circulation (presumably from the large Mojang/Amazon Web Services SSL breach earlier in the year) that the gain from having a one-strike system would far outweigh the consequences for the few that do get their accounts hacked.
I actually had my account hacked 2 months ago but I still have access to my email and account. I reckon I was very lucky though, as my account was only used on spanish/portuguese speaking servers, so I never had my account banned on any of the servers that I have played on.

Then again, I might be one of the lucky few :p

AlgerWaterlow

Platinum
Reaction score
I absolutely disagree with a one-strike ban policy on hacking. I used to not to actually. I used to be as unforgiving as you seem to be SpaghettiSquid . Then I realized that one final second chance to give someone the benefit of the doubt is a necessary contingent in all situations, even somewhere as trivial as a Minecraft server. I mean for God's sake man, this person's not getting banned from LIFE or an entire state, they're getting a seven day (seven days can feel like ages if you're waiting for something) ban from a game. A game.....

The only reason they hacked in the first place was because a few little craphead arrogant asses decided to say they sucked at PVP. They let it get to them, it lowered their self-esteem and they decided to hack. Think about it from the hacker's perspective. I find this very easy to do because I myself suck at PVP and my self-esteem because of that is in the toilet. Though this next sentence isn't entirely related to the thread, I find it a testament to my character that I haven't used a hacked client and you should bloody thank me. -,-

SpaghettiSquid

Platinum
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that is extremely ignorant. I hacked back in May, and was banned. Do you see me now? Just because people make mistakes doesn't mean you can knock them off of the face of planet. You can't just make general assumptions about a group of players with statistical evidence from another server. An Ex-MCG Moderator, C0nsole to be exact, once talked about how two-strikes gives the player an opportunity to redeem themselves. Also, do you think MCG would make hacking permban worthy, if hackers over one year old can apply for mod?
Saying 'I'm sorry' before an insult doesn't make it any less of one. If you want someone to read what you have to say, and aren't trying to flame a topic (I now assume you're a flamer) don't start it by calling them ignorant.. Sheesh.

Lots of people hack. Lots of people cheat. And I can make assumptions, they may not be true, but I have every right to.. You were a hacker, and if I had my way you wouldn't be playing on MCG right now. Someone already wasted half an hour of their time getting you banned once, a hacker (or you specifically) isn't worth an hour of anyones time.

Over and over I've gotten hackers banned only to see them hacking two weeks later. It's something I've seen since I started playing MCSG back in June of 2012. I despise hackers, as you can probably tell, and I am sick of wasting my time on them. If MCSG really cared about this hacker issue they would put new rules into place. The two strike rule is effectively doubling the number of hackers.

TL:DR You were a hacker, you shouldn't be on the network (imo), or should've had to buy a new $26 account to secretly circumvent the ban. The two strike policy effectively doubles the number of hackers on the network. You are of a minority.

SpaghettiSquid

Platinum
Reaction score
I absolutely disagree with a one-strike ban policy on hacking. I used to not to actually. I used to be as unforgiving as you seem to be SpaghettiSquid . Then I realized that one final second chance to give someone the benefit of the doubt is a necessary contingent in all situations, even somewhere as trivial as a Minecraft server. I mean for God's sake man, this person's not getting banned from LIFE or an entire state, they're getting a seven day (seven days can feel like ages if you're waiting for something) ban from a game. A game.....

The only reason they hacked in the first place was because a few little craphead arrogant asses decided to say they sucked at PVP. They let it get to them, it lowered their self-esteem and they decided to hack. Think about it from the hacker's perspective. I find this very easy to do because I myself suck at PVP and my self-esteem because of that is in the toilet. Though this next sentence isn't entirely related to the thread, I find it a testament to my character that I haven't used a hacked client and you should bloody thank me. -,-
Very true, but I still believe that a little kid with $5, 50 accounts, and a bit of anger, isn't worth $250 (50 acc. 1h to ban each acc. with their two strikes, $10 min wage) of someone's time unless there were a rewards system.

jonnysurvives

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I made a similar thread in March so I completely agree, but what I learnt is that these kind of changes will never happen because the staff live in a world of fluffy bunnies and rainbows where everyone should get a second chance on a minecraft server.

One argument I feel you left out is that the number of players who leave because of the hacker problem almost certainly outnumbers the number of hackers that reform after their first ban, so we're essentially trading rule-abiding players for ex-hackers, which obviously makes no sense. All in all, the positives of a no second chance policy easily outweigh the negatives given the current state of affairs, but it's just not going to happen because of how delusional the senior staff are. :/

Wyz

Diamond
Reaction score
I made a similar thread in March so I completely agree, but what I learnt is that these kind of changes will never happen because the staff live in a world of fluffy bunnies and rainbows where everyone should get a second chance on a minecraft server
This is so true lol

I agree 100%, if we really wanted hackers out, we wouldn't be giving second chances, get those scummy hackers out of here!

But the MCG staff is very, very stubborn. They brought us new minigames like lovely Rocket Rumble, Deadly Descent, and a few more. No one asked for them, and now no one is playing them except Ceroria and the staff team. I tried playing Rocket Rumble one day: 5 Steves in there asking me 'How do I play?' How could I know, it's so confusing, and not userfriendly at all.

MCG staff is not into making the community better, we've all seen that or I have at least :D I play the game for the plugin (devs are great by the way :3) and because of the friends I've made here. Otherwise I'd be gone.

RedMarzBarz_

Career
Reaction score
What about this,

Instead of having this rule imposed all the time, why not during cleensweeps? Have a message broadcasted when you join - "Warning - This network is undergoing a cleansweep. During this time hackers will only have one chance before a permaban", or you don't even have to say that, just do it (You can mark this on the ban panel by putting a "cs" or something in their name to signify that you have been banned in cleansweep).

I think this would be a better idea, that way you know that during this cleansweep you are actually doing something worthwhile (I mean, most hackers just come back...) and that you are actually ridding the server of these people.
Oh my god... One of the smartest I've seen in a while... Someone, give this guy a cookie!

TouchDeath1

Survivor
Reaction score
I also believe IP bans should be placed depending on what the hacker did. For example : Forcefield + waterwalk + no knockback = permanent ban but can buy a new account, get a new stat reset and keep playing. MCGamer believes the truth system works, but it really doesnt. IP bans should be taken place if the hacker continuously uses alts. A router/New IP is not cheap + if it was, the internet would be crap, wouldnt it?
Enjoy.
-Touchdeath (^:

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I also believe IP bans should be placed depending on what the hacker did. For example : Forcefield + waterwalk + no knockback = permanent ban but can buy a new account, get a new stat reset and keep playing. MCGamer believes the truth system works, but it really doesnt. IP bans should be taken place if the hacker continuously uses alts. A router/New IP is not cheap + if it was, the internet would be crap, wouldnt it?
Enjoy.
-Touchdeath (^:
Other people may play on the same IP than just the player who was hacking. That is why we don't IP ban.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci