• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

To Ping or Not To Ping? Is that really the question?

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
NICE PING
PINGER
YOU'RE ALL PING
This is the stuff^ I see daily in this community and surrounding communities

I mean someone might have good ping, but if a random has 1ms he doesn't automatically become god
Also you can't be "all ping" like what does that even mean...
I'd also like to clear up some terminology

Ping is a computer network administration utility used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network and to measure the round-trip time for messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer. The name comes from active sonarterminology which sends a pulse of sound and listens for the echo to detect objects underwater.
Abuse
verb
əˈbyo͞oz/
  1. 1.
    use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
    "the judge abused his power by imposing the fines"
    synonyms:misuse, misapply, misemploy
  2. 2.
    treat (a person or an animal) with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.
    "riders who abuse their horses should be prosecuted"
    synonyms:mistreat, maltreat, ill-treat, treat badly
əˈbyo͞os/
  1. 1.
    the improper use of something.
    "alcohol abuse"
    synonyms:misuse, misapplication, misemployment
cruel and violent treatment of a person or animal.
"a black eye and other signs of physical abuse"
synonyms:mistreatment, maltreatment, ill-treatment

Lets try plugging in some of these synonyms and see if they make sense
Misuse ping, um how do you misuse it, its your connection. You can misuse it by doxing or something but you can't misuse it in a video game, so that's out
Misapply ping, makes no sense
Misemploy ping, sigh

So you get what I'm saying, a more correct term would be "Use ping to your advantage in order to gain dominance in a fight" not 'PING ABOOSE!!!1"

Heres 4non's video on this based on my forum thread

My forum thread: http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/my-opinion-guide-on-ping-clicking-speed.143750/

I could go in much greater detail with animations and such but for now here ya go.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I love how even Huahwi has said that ping has very little correlation, yet some people are still silly enough to blame connection on bad skills.

LygerByte

Survivor
Reaction score
I honestly don't think there really is such thing has Ping Abuse, sure, some of us get called out for it, but still, there really isn't such thing. Glad there's finally a thread on this ;).

Axle3_piehunter

Tribute
Reaction score
Coming from US servers myself.
back to AU thats 250ms down to 50ms i see myself doing stuff i never wouldve done on US.. i could barely circle strafe on US but on AU it takes little time to absolutly destroy other players..

P3num6ra

Career
Reaction score
The only thing ping does is "affect" your skill and timing, by this way it is the total time it is to send a packet to the server and register it. The ms can only reach a certain limit until "Timed out" has occured. This happens when packets are not reaching the destined hosting server in time, therefore canceling out the server socket, and the client socket to connect to the server. In Java code, this is what it would look like (implemented using java.net.*;)

if (timedOut){

//Closes client socket object (a way for the server to communicate to the client)
clientSocket.close();
//Closes the object serverSocket, but not initally the server.
serverSocket.close();

}

Ping is the total time in milliseconds until the time of when a sample of 32-byte random data is sent to a server. This is how upload and download measures work. Ping reflects on the time required to send a packet to a server. All it is.

Also, DDoSing affects ping as well. When ddosing, it sends packets of an extremely large size to a server, reducing traffic control. There are programs like CloudFlare that this website uses to avoid getting ddos, as it seems by simple observation is slowing down how fast people can connect. Some forms of DDoSing can bring down your Internet, or even effect hardware.

Ping reflects on the time required to send a packet to a server. All it is.

K

KiDD

I've talked about ping and skill correlation a lot....too much....so I'm going to keep my opinions brief :D

Think of it like this: Does a person with a fast ping jump into an MCSG game or any PvP situation and destroy the other players? No. You have little knowledge of how PvP related things function, and just don't know the game. Ping is not going to change anything. Simply by adjusting to your ping and knowing the game and having skill will lead you to victory, not what ping you have. Once again, not going to really elaborate on why ping means almost nothing.

What you were saying as well. Ping (time it takes for info to be sent,) abuse (cruel treatment; misuse)? Simply doesn't make sense.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I hope every single person in the PvP community can see this thread and watch 4non's video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci