• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Using Flint and Steel to negate knockback - Viable or not?

Is this tactic viable? (Please elaborate further in comments)

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I still have yet to learn what this is

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
Sure, there are many players who attempt to be better by utilizing the fishing rod and fail miserably. But I honestly can't blame them; we were all at that stage before - attempting to learn a new tactic and constantly practicing it.

However, it is undeniable that if mastered, the fishing rod is an extremely lethal weapon.
The implementation of a sprint button in Minecraft drastically changed PvP. Although the fishing rod is a perfectly viable tool, its effectiveness went down as a result of the new sprinting system.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
The implementation of a sprint button in Minecraft drastically changed PvP. Although the fishing rod is a perfectly viable tool, its effectiveness went down as a result of the new sprinting system.
Sure you can no longer use it to effectively break someone's sprint while chasing them, but it is still extraordinarily viable in getting combos and pushing an enemy who is pursuing you in a chase away.

And if you're capable of hotkeying the fishing rod at a speed in which you won't miss a potential sword hit anyway, there's no harm in using it.

Anything that takes away the opponent's control of their movements is an advantage, though it may be slight.

Last edited:

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
Sure you can no longer use it to effectively break someone's sprint while chasing them, but it is still extraordinarily viable in getting combos and pushing an enemy who pursuing you in a chase away.

And if you're capable of hotkeying the fishing rod at a speed in which you won't miss a potential sword hit anyway, there's no harm in using it.

Anything that takes away the opponent's control of their movements is an advantage, though it may be slight.
Actually, what I was more focused on was the lesser ability to use it in PvP situations - Your opponent's sprint will start nearly instantaneously.

I've noticed a lot of people, while being chased by me, turn around and try to fishing rod me back. In doing so, they are now at a backwards walking pace, allowing me to run in for more hits. I don't understand why people do it. xD

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people, while being chased by me, turn around and try to fishing rod me back. In doing so, they are now at a backwards walking pace, allowing me to run in for more hits. I don't understand why people do it. xD
That's what I was mentioning here:
pushing an enemy who is pursuing you in a chase away.
Hypothetical scenario: You are running away from someone who is higher in health than you are. You run until you run out of regen and need to eat. The enemy is around 7 blocks behind you (obviously not providing enough time for you to stop and eat). You quickly turn around and cast your fishing rod once and hit the pursuer. Now, at that instance, the pursuer has two choices: either continue chasing straight (and become an easy target for another rod hit) or strafe out of the way (and take a longer path to your enemy, also increasing the distance). From my experience, this is most effective when running around the corners of buildings, as the pursuer's movements are more predictable so the rod is easier to land.

As you can see, turning around and fishing rodding the enemy back is actually an effective tactic to gain distance from a pursuer. However, this tactic is also dangerous, as if the player were to miss his one or two chances to get a rod hit, the pursuer would close the distance and be able to hit the player.

Also, semi-related question: Do you play HiveSG? Because from my experiences, hive players seem to be very proficient in the art of rod accuracy and can use it effectively while being chased. I always get annoyed when playing Hive because those players are so good at running xD

Last edited:

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
I really don't understand how this is helpful for PVP in any occasion. Fire is not to be touched and the knockback reduction is SOOOO fractionally little, that there is no point.

endthebean

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
If I see you set yourself on fire, I'll just run away and let you lose four hearts.

patrickfalcon

Platinum
Reaction score
taking 3.5 hearts of damage isn't worth it, because if you used this in half your fights you probably won't win every fight with 4 hearts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci