• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Weapons in MCSG

KoalaBears

Survivor
Reaction score
So on SG you can find various weapons.

Swords, Axes,...

Most people know that a diamond sword is the strongest weapon and an iron sword is second,

but what comes after that???

I decided to make a list of obtainable melée weapons in SG and compare their strengths and durabilities.

1. Durability:

The durability for items of the same material is always the same, which means that an iron shovel and an iron sword have the same durability. They will both break after the same amount of uses.

GOLD - 33
WOOD - 60
STONE - 132
IRON - 251
DIAMOND - 1562

2. Damage:

There is often confusion about the damage that a weapon deals. Critical hits increase the damage of any hit, even one with a shovel!

However, here we will only look at the basic damage that a weapon can deal (critical damage is added proportionally).
All damage values are listed as how many HEARTS will be removed!
So a value of 10 would kill a player who had full health.

Swords:
GOLD - 2
WOOD - 2
STONE - 2.5
IRON - 3
DIAMOND - 3.5
Axes:
GOLD - 1.5
WOOD - 1.5
STONE - 2
IRON - 2.5
DIAMOND - 3
Shovels:
GOLD - 0.5
IRON - 1.5
DIAMOND - 2
(other shovels are not obtainable)

So one thing that is really surprising, is that gold is not better than wood!

If you take durabilities into account you can make a ranking of items from best to worst:
(Items that don't make sense to craft are in brackets)

[worst]
Gold Shovel
|
bare hands
--------|--------
(Gold Axe)
|
Wooden Axe
|
Iron Shovel
--------|--------
Gold Sword
|
Wooden Sword
|
Stone Axe
|
Diamond Shovel
--------|--------
Stone Sword
|
(Iron Axe)
--------|--------
Iron Sword
|
(Diamond Axe)
--------|--------
Diamond Sword
[best]

Crafting axes is expensive, since it takes 3 of the main material and 2 sticks, so it never makes sense, because you can make a sword instead.
However you can obtain wooden and stone axes from crates. A stone axe is as strong as a wooden/gold sword and has more durability, so it can make sense to use it instead of those items.
(A gold sword can break after killing 6 players)

Shovels can be crafted if you only have 1 gold/iron/diamond ingot.
Crafting a gold shovel makes no sense, since bare hands do the same amount of damage and have a little more durability. :p
I also wouldn't craft an iron shovel unless I had no weapon at all and deathmatch would be coming up. Otherwise it makes more sense to wait for a second iron ingot and make a sword. (or a bucket with a third ingot)
A diamond shovel is often considered, since it only takes one diamond to craft.
But people aren't sure how much damage it will deal.
Well, now we know that it's not a lot. I would only craft a diamond shovel if it would be close to deathmatch and I would only have a wooden axe. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Ok shovels are cool but they failed the test. now let's get to axes.
Wooden axes are the weakest weapons in SG (gold shovels don't count). But they still deal a fair amount of damage and are a lot better than bare hands. People with wooden/gold swords could be killed easily with a wooden axe.
A stone axe is as strong as a wooden/gold sword, so it makes sense to use it. It can keep up with any wooden/gold weapon and is almost as strong as a stone sword, so I would use it unless I find a stone/iron/diamond sword. The downside is that you cant block hits with an axe, so a weak sword might still be the better choice.
Crafting axes from gold/iron/diamond makes no sense and people who do it are probably spoiled with stuff, so you shouldn't attack them.

One last thing to say, is that a bow is also a strong weapon, and a fishing rod is not! It can push players around, but it doesn't deal meaningful damage.

I hope this helps some people and clears up the confusion about different weapons.

Tell me, if I forgot to mention anything. :):eek::oops:o_O:mad::(;):):confused:

Reaction score
A useful guide! Block hitting is very good when in tight spaces and if you know how to fish use a rod!
Swords > axes | due to block hitting!
Bows are very good weapons but there are some tips that should be given:
1. Don't waste arrows
2. Don't fire blindly/Stupidly when a player is teasing you
3. Shoot to hit
4 Make sure you make full use of your bow!
Another thing to note is that fishing rods can be used offensivly AND defensively!

Great guide though!

KoalaBears

Survivor
Reaction score
A useful guide! Block hitting is very good when in tight spaces and if you know how to fish use a rod!
1. Don't waste arrows
3. Shoot to hit
Another thing to note is that fishing rods can be used offensivly AND defensively!

Great guide though!
Ty Means alot from a mod like your self

ChicoBoy

Experienced
Reaction score
Great guide. I love that listed things so well.

1. Don't waste arrows
3. Shoot to hit

Great guide though!
This are great tips too!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci