• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What do braces feel like?

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I am wondering what they feel like when you get them on.

ArgaJones

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
They will make your teeth very sensitive for a while, you probably won't be able to eat any hard foods for a week or so.But after a few days, they will be okay.

Stephanie

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
They are uncomfortable at first, you get use to them quick. I noticed when I had mine that I couldn't eat steak or pork chops, it felt like too much work, and cleaning your braces is difficult sometimes. I also wanted to chew on something all the time, and still occasionally do(doesn't have to be gum just anything thats chewy).

Reaction score
I may be putting braces on in 1 month^.^ I am not that scared, as many of my friends have braces, but they say it's not that bad. Once my friend got hit in the mouth and the braces got stuck in his gum. Haven't really heard anything bad other than that tho.

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid, I had expanders, braces, and all that jazz. I was only like 7 at the time, so I don't remember all the details. However, I do remember not being able to eat spaghetti-o's without getting them caught, which for some reason annoyed the crap out of my tiny mind. Other than that, they weren't hard to get used to. I only wore them until I was about 9, so I probably didn't get the full experience.

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
U get used to them after awhile. My orth0dotist probs hated me I knocked so many brackets off :p

Reaction score
I have an extreme intolerance for anything dental related.... spacers, braces etc. luckily I've only had a retainer for a short period of time, and I won't have to worry about my teeth ever again!

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
The braces themselves are the little metal pieces that they plaster on the outsides of your teeth to which the adjustment wire is attached. Those things are fine and generally comfortable so long as the braces themselves aren't jagged. The first month it will feel like your mouth is constantly full as the metal presses against the back of your lips, but you adjust to it within a month. Just don't get stuff like caramel or taffy stuck in it, because it'll drive you nuts.

The adjustment wire is what you really should be worrying about. Basically it's the force behind the braces, the very thing that gradually shifts your teeth around with constant brute force. When you get your braces in for the first time, your mouth will feel sore to the point that anything even touching your teeth will cause pain for a week. Invest in soft foods (applesauce, vienna sausages, ice cream smoothies) and start training yourself to eat without chewing ( I found that holding food between your molars and tearing with your tongue to be quite effective), and you'll survive. The pain will subside as you grow used to the wire, and you'll be back to chewing in no time. However, note that you'll be getting a new wire periodically for further treatment, so this cycle will repeat every few months until your treatment is complete. Thankfully you will get used to it and it'll get easier every time; by the time I was done with my 1.5 year-long treatment, tooth soreness was gone within 2 days, and I was easily able to remain comfortable during that time.

powdski

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am getting my top braces on tomorrow; that's why I am curious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci