• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What happens when we die?

Elebits

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
After taking science in year 10 and 11 my opinion changed towards the science of nature and the creation of earth and everything within it rather than a god creating everything because there is proof of how everything started. So what I just said has nothing to do with what in about to say but oh well.

How did you feel the 2 billion years before you were born? I'm assuming it will be the same after passing (death)
Totally off-topic, but I like that Magikarp in your inventory GUI haha

AephexHasSweges

Experienced
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that believing something without evidence is just ignorant. There's no evidence whatsoever for religion that points in the direction of life after death, and same to science. There's no reason for me to believe I go to heaven, diminish to nothing, or rise up to my purple walrus god that farts unicorn nipples out of the buttocks growing from his (or her. My walrus god isn't sexist.) face. So instead, I focus on what to do during life in order to make sure I make the best of it, since there may not be anything when it's done. Let this be advice to you, do what you think is right in life, enjoy it as much as you can, and don't forget to complete your goals while it's an option; never know how long you have before it won't be. Also, don't be bad or you'll go to purple walrus hell.

The_Great_Tito

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
As much as I would like to believe in phantasms and spirits and the ascendancy to an afterlife or heaven, I just cannot see it as a plausible explanation. I think religion was created to keep order and to comfort people in their time of need, as well as to make them feel like they are worth something or are purposeful in a way. I think it was something fashioned out of the stars and the impossible to serve Man's needs when nothing else could, like a security blanket. Because of this, I like to think of myself as an agnostic: someone who believes there is no proof a god exists, yet also believes there is no proof a god doesn't exist.

So, therefore, I think it's likely the human consciousness dissolves indeterminately in the blurred passage between life and death. It might be something like the time before I was born (which as far as I know was nothing) so in that case I have no need to worry. Or, like how when you go to bed to sleep and the next thing you know it's morning and you know that the only reason you know that you have slept is because you of awoken; something like that, except you don't wake up (or maybe you do, I don't know. I literally have no way of knowing anything about this).

Felipe

Platinum
Reaction score
I have made a thread about this and I honesty come to the conclusion that, when you die, you stop existing. Its like sleep, but forever. I've almost come to terms with it, But don't get me wrong, the thought of death scares the living poop out of me. It's thoughts like these that kept me depressed.

Zado

Platinum
Reaction score
This is the only thing I can't stand to even think about. I just start shaking when I think of the "eternal sleep"

Reaction score
I'm not really a die-hard Orthodox Christian, but in our religion we believe that when we die, we go to heaven. Some of the people in my school believe that when we die, our soul goes to another animal.

Reaction score
In a physical sense of death, as we have observed in our physical world, our bodies will decompose (or experience another form of decay i.e cremation, being eaten, etc.) and all of us, every atom will eventually be returned to the Earth and reused again, probably by another organism in their life, taken in as nutrients. This is quite cool when you think about, because in a sense it is reincarnation, and even after you die you will still be giving back to the world.

Now a metaphysical sense.

To theorize an afterlife a few things must be determined to us first.
Things that (to me) need to first be determined
1. Are we alive, what does it mean to be alive
2. What gets passed on into an afterlife
3.Who has this quality
4. What manner of existence is this afterlife

For this I will be applying a philosophical argument for determinism vs free will. which says that 'science cannot be prove free will or determinism because science can only prove observable facts and truths. It can not be applied to theories that cannot be observed. Therefore what should be believed is that which appeals and gives the most logic to the ponderer.'

1 Are we alive
The first thing we need to determine is if we are truly alive. If we determine we are not then there is no chance of there being an afterlife as there is no life to begin with. Scientifically speaking yes, we have all the qualities that make something alive (cells, organization, use energy, response, growth, reproduction, and adaption). Another reason I believe we are alive because of our ability put together complex theories and ideas from observing on thing and successfully apply it to something else, and even more so of our interactions with the world around us.

2. What would get passed on
By this standpoint cells (the smallest unit of life) are technically alive, and can move on to an afterlife. Yet every interaction in a cell is cause by the natural reactions of the nonliving compounds inside the cell. What would become of the non-living compounds inside the cell, as they technically could not go to an afterlife, as they were never alive to begin with. For me to theorize an afterlife something needs to go on. For me this is a soul. While are bodies are technically just a complex series of interactions, I believe we are who we are because of our soul. I do not however believe the soul is created until the person starts interacting with the world. When we start to interact, much like our bodies, life begins to come into existence. I think two possibilities are here: (In its most basic sense)

a. Souls radiate some kind of metaphysical stimulant that begins the lifeforms creation of its own unique soul. It begins at birth and then grows exponentially as the life form develops and interacts with the world. This is my preferred theory, as it is similar in the age:understanding ration most people go through, and uniqueness is always appealing to me, as physically I'm different from everything else.

b. Souls from past dead wander around and look for new vessels to inhabit. I don't prefer this idea and find it a little disturbing, but consider it possible if there is no where to pass onto in an afterlife and souls are stuck here after death.

For all purposes I'm going to continue on with the former of the two hypotheses

3. Who has this quality
From the idea of developing souls, anything living and interacting can develop a soul, from trees, to bacteria, to humans, to rainforests, I believe all to have some sort of soul, and than therefore have an afterlife if deceased.

4. What is the manner of the afterlife
A comment/hypothesis brought up by my Biology teacher is one that got me thinking.
First, you are a sperm and egg, separate. This could be the first plane of life, then you come together and create a cell and this is the next plane of existence. Then your a fetus. All you know is the womb. Yes there is an outside that you have some interaction with, but you don't know what's there all you know is your mom's womb in this third plane of existence. Then you enter the fourth when you are born. You can interact further with what was outside the womb, yet your mind is still very closed off. Then you enter the fifth, most of the time in toddler years. This is when memories start coming, you become self aware, and you can interact with the world. This from memories and interactions is where I believe the soul takes existence. Perhaps we, here in this hypothetical fifth existence, are just waiting in another gestation period are just waiting to go into the next stage of existence and interaction and the birth into this existence, is our death; where much like we cast aside the sperm cell coat when leaving the first existence, we cast aside our bodies and a soul of memories transcends to the next.

This my preferred theory, and from this I believe we pass on rather than go to oblivion, reincarnation, or other existences. but the possibility of ghosts could exist too. Maybe someone died before their soul was fully developed and not ready to pass on yet. In response the soul remained here, but unable to get the massive interaction it used too, now can only grow through spectral phenomenon, and perhaps this manner of growth is extremely slower than growth in a body and therefore leading to the haunting of places for hundreds to thousands of years.

Besides the point, from there I like to believe we enter a state of eternal bliss where our soul, free from maladies of our world, can exist and grow among others as it pleases. Be it in a fantasy setting, a closer to this life setting or horror setting, it could change and exist there, in that state of reality to its hearts content and change its reality whenever needed, while somehow continuing the interaction with other souls.

This is what I like to believe as it makes me happy and comfortable, and I'll never really know until I die. All is expressed in my own opinion, and I'm not trying to criticize or damage any other's personal beliefs.

If you made it this fare thanks fro reading! <3

Creepah

Career
Reaction score
This has always been an interesting thing to think about.

I don't believe in a religion (as an agnostic atheist) however don't believe that when we die, everything that we ever were just ends and disappears. Not necessarily a soul, but surely some sort of essence, or conscious remains of us.

But really, I don't have any strong views, and personally believe we should focus on living, not dying :)

RedMarzBarz_

Career
Reaction score
Just like to prefice this post by saying please, don't a religious flame war...
Personally, as a Theravadan Buddhist, I follow the teachings of the Buddha. The Buddha's teachings state that no human can ever do no bad karma; no one is perfect.

The amount of karma (good or bad) will determine how long you go to heaven, or hell. Being in heaven (to Theravadan Buddhists) does NOT mean you will get luxuries. This means that you not have to face the events of torture put forward to you by the form of energy called Karma, in hell. For example; committing suicide gaurantees for you to be born at least 500 more lifetimes as a human, and endure the pan of suicide over and again, part of the teachings of the Buddha. From what I have been taught, in hell, you will not be able to see anything, you are blind. You will have to endure the torture put forward to you by Karma.

Dependant on how much good or bad karma you have achieved in your preceding life, it will decide what you are born as, for expample, if you did hunted animals in your last life, there is a chance you will be reincarnated as an animal, then you will be the HUNTED. This is the energy we call 'bad karma'.

But in achieving total inner peace, you will have achieved something called 'Nirvana'. In achieving Nirvana, you will become one with nature, and form of energy that cannot feel, here, smell, see, etc. This is what some some Theravadan Buddhists believe Nirvana to be.

Anyway, those are my views on what happens after death. Again, please no religious flame wars, these are just MY OPINION. c:

JCagg

Diamond
Reaction score
You just die- lose all consciousness forever, and all that's left of you is your lifeless body. I don't believe in any god(s) or spirits, and I don't believe in an afterlife or reincarnation. That's why I think that you must make the best out of the time that you are alive because it's the only chance you'll ever have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci