• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What is so bad about mini map?

YoutubaHD

Survivor
Reaction score
If zooming is an advantage, then so is having a bigger monitor :p
Not really, Zooming in can let you see further, while a bigger monitor will change the resolution and it will be the same resolution so the same "Zoom"

G33ke

Community Engagement Team Representative
Reaction score
Minimaps can include things like players and other entities. This in and of itself is a huge advantage. Knowing where the players are to ambush them, or avoid them...

That aside, though - Waypoints can be set for say, corn - this takes out all of the memory game that is remembering where corn is. Same can be said for chests - you don't need to remember yourself when something does it for you. It's an unfair advantage.

Having the map period is an unfair advantage - Let's say you're playing on...the old map hungry hills. It's trees, tress everywhere...what is that on the map? Some stone/wood? Better go check it out, could have something!
Same could be said for water when running from someone, or flat terrain to fight on, etc...It's an unfair advantage. It goes from a game of memory to a game of "I'll wander aimlessly and use my map to find stuff when I get close."

One wouldn't argue that there was no advantages unless they wanted it's use allowed for some reason in particular. (wanted to use it themselves, wanted others to be able to, etc.) Why would you care whether people could use it if there was "no advantages"? I'm not accusing you of anything, but seriously, why would it matter if it was useless anyway? >.>

Edit:

Also, another thing, that link that you posted CAMaduesa, that enables enitities, which are mobs not players and cave mapping (Underground Map). Also OptFine is allowed, but besides just improving FPS it also allows you to zoom in and see chests farther away than players without OptiFine. So that provides an advantage over players who cant zoom in.
Zooming in is very minor - unlike the map, it doesn't allow you to see more than you already can by default, it simply makes seeing them a bit easier. Anyone with a sharp enough eye or a big enough monitor could get the same effect that zoom gives, the same can't be said for minimap.

G33ke

Reaction score
Who is going to take the time to set waypoints to every chest, landmark, building, on every map, on every server?

And does this not apply here?: http://puu.sh/2cPPT/fa69813cb7
Rei's minimap isn't the only minimap in existence you know. I could tell you one off the top of my head that allows people to see entities, as that's it's entire purpose.

The_Great_Tito

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Rei's minimap isn't the only minimap in existence you know. I could tell you one off the top of my head that allows people to see entities, as that's it's entire purpose.
Yes. I realize that. I am just stating a defense for Rei's minimap, probably the most well known.

YoutubaHD

Survivor
Reaction score
Im talking about Reis mini map in this post, but yea, that's another reason it shouldn't be allowed.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
There is a way to see the hit box of every player and mob from f3. I can't recall what it was though.
Edit: f3 + B

G33ke

Reaction score
There is a way to see the hit box of every player and mob from f3. I can't recall what it was though.
Edit: f3 + B
Entities =/= hitbox. You can't see the hitbox through walls, can you? :p

Mr Dice

Career
Reaction score
Think of it like a treasure hunt, while a map may not pinpoint where each bit of treasure is, having a map in the first place provides an advantage over someone who doesn't have one. You can never really get lost when you have a map, and it improves coordination as to where you are in the "arena".
It also pretty much makes in-game maps defunct, as you can already see where everything is from the same overhead perspective, so where players have achieved a legitimate advantage in-game, minimaps devoid such, as where the legitimate player will have to choose between their map and anything else in their inventory, a minimap user can have anything equipped as well as their map.
Some minimap mods also allow for the map to be saved as an image, this allows players to edit them outside of the mod itself, to mark where chests are, and what route they will take, they can then use this while playing, this provides an extreme disadvantage to all users, minimap or not, and is absolutely undetectable.

Just a few reasons why I think minimaps need to remain illegal on the servers, I'm sure if I were to sit down and think for a while, I could come up with many more reasons than these.

YoutubaHD

Survivor
Reaction score
Think of it like a treasure hunt, while a map may not pinpoint where each bit of treasure is, having a map in the first place provides an advantage over someone who doesn't have one. You can never really get lost when you have a map, and it improves coordination as to where you are in the "arena".
It also pretty much makes in-game maps defunct, as you can already see where everything is from the same overhead perspective, so where players have achieved a legitimate advantage in-game, minimaps devoid such, as where the legitimate player will have to choose between their map and anything else in their inventory, a minimap user can have anything equipped as well as their map.
Some minimap mods also allow for the map to be saved as an image, this allows players to edit them outside of the mod itself, to mark where chests are, and what route they will take, they can then use this while playing, this provides an extreme disadvantage to all users, minimap or not, and is absolutely undetectable.

Just a few reasons why I think minimaps need to remain illegal on the servers, I'm sure if I were to sit down and think for a while, I could come up with many more reasons than these.
Awesome! Thanks for that answer, see this is the reason of this thread, to understand more reasons why it should be illegal (Btw Hi Mr Dice) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci