• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What qualities make a good MCSG map

What do you look for in a map¿

• Total voters

Yin

Discord: prettyyinpink
Reaction score
Yosuppeeps! I am Yin. Now, a lot of people say that they like a certain map, but not giving a reason. Or, they don't know why they like a map. This thread is here to remedy that. What do you look for in a survival games map? Do you look for detail, variety, redstone, or something else? List those here.

SpaghettiSquid

Platinum
Reaction score
Every single trait you listed is important in a SG map and all come together to create a well-balanced and fun map. :)

CorruptCrow

Survivor
Reaction score
I'd say nothing is more important than another on that list. A good map should have all these things (some may be exempt due to the theme) I think ultimately that they're all important and are needed to create a good and balanced map :)

Reactions: Yin

R3vVolution

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I would also say the amount of tall grass. For some people it's not a problem, but for me it likes to glitch out.

Nadare

Survivor
Reaction score
I think all of them are greatly important. Except for "lots of room for PvP". Not everyone will necessary agree with this, but I prefer closed in spaces. It shakes up gameplay and makes combat more interesting. :D

DoUEvenShift

Diamond
Reaction score
I like a good ratio of land to water. For example, breeze island is wayyy too much water with little land. Holiday Resort on the other hand, has a perfect combination of land and water.

As far as map size goes, I like a medium size. Too large like Fallen Empire and the games are long/boring very frequently. Too small like solar frost and you don't even have time to open a chest before it's deathmatch.

I love traps (That sounds really bad... lol) and parkour, and would love to see more of both in maps. In addition, I like "puzzles" you have to solve to find a chest. To me it's more of a challenge to have to do something, for example a certain button combo, or a riddle on a sign, instead of just clicking a chest on the ground.

Virtual

District 13
Reaction score
Moved to "Map downloads and discussions" :)

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score
There is no one thing that is the best lol. To make a successful mcsg map.. you need all of what you just stated.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
A good map is based from this:
Awesome terraforming: I mean, terraforming gives shape to the map
Quite some space for PVPing is awesome as the points of the game is to fight and conquer.
Redstone can be essential. It just gives an amazing experience on secret places and makes your chest route better
Last but not least, chest locations. They pretty much define the game. Without chests we couldn't do nothing. A good amount of chests and good locations makes the map experience even better.

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
I would also say the amount of tall grass. For some people it's not a problem, but for me it likes to glitch out.
it's good to catch sneaky hackers.. they won't ever break tall grass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci