• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

What the Players Want

mikag35

Gold
Reaction score
For any builders who are trying to create a map, here are some tips. Now, I am no builder myself in any way, shape, or form, but I am a long-time MCSG player with over 4,000 games played, which might lead you to believe I understand what players want in maps. Now, here are a list of some popular MCSG maps that many people like, and after it will be a list of some unpopular maps and why they are like that.

Popular: Holiday Resort, Valleyside University, The Survival Games 4, Avaricia, Solar Frost, SG Highway.

Unpopular: The Survival Games 3, Destiny's Shiver, Treacherous Heights, Teweran SG1, Rugged Lands, MoonBase9

The main reasons that all of the popular maps are popular are:

-A good mix between good looks and flat, open areas for good PvP
-Are well-tiered for the most part
-Not extremely dark
-Not very big
-Have many easily-accessible tier 1's that may come in handy whenever you are missing something
-Are terraformed well but don't have too much crazy landscape
-Good overall amount of chests/placement of them
-Not very laggy (for FPS)
-Games aren't too short and not too long

The main reasons that all the unpopular maps are unpopular are:

-Not a good balance between good looks and good areas for PvP, might have neither or be lopsided towards either.
-No/Not much terraforming at all
-Too big or too small
-Lack of chests/Waaaay too many chests
-Chests are not well tiered throughout the map (even though this might not be your fault)
-Have extreme landscape that is hard to navigate and annoying to fight on
-Has too much water (Some maps that are popular have an exception to this)
-Has no diversity/Is too diverse
-Too laggy (FPS-wise)
-Not enough areas where FnS can be used (Because of tall grass, slabs, etc.)
-No real structures
-Games take too long
-Too much ice

If you try your best to not make your map fall under the column of bad map traits in the unpopular map section and follow the reasons why popular maps are popular, then you should be good. But I recommend starting your build ASAP, because the more time you take, the less ideas for SG maps will be left that make it easier for the map to have good characteristics. Hope this helps.

P.S. No offense to the map-makers who made the maps in the "unpopular" section. I am just going by what people vote for and what their reactions are when these maps do get voted. I am just using them as examples and do not mean to offend you or your map in any way.

ThisJKid

Diamond
Reaction score
Moonbase and TSG1 aren't unpopular, both get voted to play fairly frequently, especially Moonbase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci