• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Who gets the kill?

Tozzaa

Tribute
Reaction score
So I'm sure most of us have experienced a circumstance where we weaken a player almost to death, and then somebody else runs in, perhaps from another direction, hits them once with a wooden sword, and get the kill.

My suggestion is that recent damage on a player should be taken into account when deciding who gets a kill, to prevent people doing what was mentioned above.

By recent damage, I'm referring to damage in the past 2 minutes or so. This is to prevent person a from dealing 15 hearts of damage to the target (15 since the target heals as he runs away), and then later in the game person b, while the same target is at full health, deals 10 hearts of damage to kill the target, and then person a receives the kill. This is unfair.

Of course, I think the final hit should be taken into account, although some kind of weighting should be implemented.

For example (rough figures), say each heart of damage dealt is worth 1.5 points in the first minute after that damage is dealt, and 1 point for the next minute, being non-existent after 2 minutes. And then a final hit is worth 3.5 points. Something along this lines would help abolish 'kill-stealing', or at least reduce it.

Also, DontGriefBro suggested a split of the bounty to everyone who contributes to the kill (so if you're in a team of 2, and player a deals 5 points of damage and player b deals 10, while the target would usually reward 30 bounty, player a would receive 10 bounty and player b would receive 20).

Please let me know your thoughts on this, and please state if you'd prefer what I suggested or what DontGriefBro expanded on and why.

SullisaurusRex

Survivor
Reaction score
Not a bad idea really. I just don't know how difficult it would be to code that way

DontGriefBro

Platinum
Reaction score
I can understand your point of view, but what if that guy never came in to kill him? If I almost killed someone and he ran away, I shouldn't get the points for killing him when I didn't. You know what I mean?

Tozzaa

Tribute
Reaction score
That text is 0% Iphone frieandly :\
It's the default text, excluding about 10 words that are coloured...

I can understand your point of view, but what if that guy never came in to kill him? If I almost killed someone and he ran away, I shouldn't get the points for killing him when I didn't. You know what I mean?
Which is where my suggestion of the recent damage comes in. If he gets away, then as time goes on, person a's points drop. He heals, and then person b comes in, gets some points for the damage he deals and also gets the points for the final hit. By this stage person a has no points being taken into account. Are we on the same page with this?

Not a bad idea really. I just don't know how difficult it would be to code that way
I do a little programming myself, and although I don't program plugins, it really wouldn't be that hard.

Eskild

Quantum
Reaction score
Make it iPhone friendly pl0xxie?

Edit: nvm.. Copied it into notes on my phone.

Edit2: i like this idea :D

Drybear1998

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's the default text, excluding about 10 words that are colored...
On my Iphone 3/4 of the text is white and the background is white so I can't read it, I'll read it when i get on my computer so don't bother changing it :p

DontGriefBro

Platinum
Reaction score
It's the default text, excluding about 10 words that are coloured...
Which is where my suggestion of the recent damage comes in. If he gets away, then as time goes on, person a's points drop. He heals, and then person b comes in, gets some points for the damage he deals and also gets the points for the final hit. By this stage person a has no points being taken into account. Are we on the same page with this?
Hmm not a bad idea, but what about if you got a percentage? So player A removed 7 hearts from Player B, and player C removed 5 hearts (Regen). What if player got the percentage of points of damage he did which also applied to player C?

Tozzaa

Tribute
Reaction score
Thanks Zni, and sorry Dry wasn't aware of the iPhone thing... changed it to a light orange.

Hmm not a bad idea, but what about if you got a percentage? So player A removed 7 hearts from Player B, and player C removed 5 hearts (Regen). What if player got the percentage of points of damage he did which also applied to player C?
Ah so you're suggesting breaking up the bounty split? That's also another decent idea. I'll add it to OP and see what people think.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
What, so in real life if two people are fighting one kills the other, the others drastically weakened and I come up and shoot them, it's called the other person killing them?

Thanks, I now know how to get away with murder.

Tozzaa

Tribute
Reaction score
What, so in real life if two people are fighting one kills the other, the others drastically weakened and I come up and shoot them, it's called the other person killing them?

Thanks, I now know how to get away with murder.
This is completely regardless to what I was suggesting.

Firstly, it would like back to DontGriefBro's suggestion. The person who attacked but didn't kill would face attempted murder charges, and the killer would receive murder charges. Both are serious charges, and they will both face jail time for it (each year is a point).

Secondly, this isn't real life. It's a game.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Yeah like the system Battlefield uses for points;

Say 20 hp per person.

if (victim killed) {bounty=bounty+other.bounty/20} (I'm sure that's not the right way to calculate bounty but I don't know...)
So if bounty = 50 and other.bounty = 100, then bounty=50+100/20 (bounty=+5)

Now, to implement this the person who gets the final hit gets the default 5 points, but also anybody else contributing damage receives points.

Say another person hit the person with a wooden sword, dealing 2 hearts of damage as the victim didn't have any armour. Now, if that health didn't regenerate and the victim shortly died then they'll receive like so:

if (victim killed, and not final hit) {bounty=bounty+other.bounty/20*0.05(damage_dealt)
In this case: bounty = 250 and other.bounty = 100, (also taking the 4 damage(two hearts)) translating to:
if (victim killed, and not final hit) {bounty=250+100/20*0.05*4

In the end, their bounty started as 250, and it ends as 251 due to that 2 hearts of damage. This is tiny, but when killing say someone with 1000 bounty and 6 hearts of damage dealt it'll be an additional 30 points.

Note that, these numbers are completely wrong, I have no idea what the method of exchanged bounty is but you get the idea.. Also you'd need to round the bounty to a whole number for small damages (and thus rendering say 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 damages give no bounty). It will take a lot of thinking to code it in, but it'll be a neat addition. You also have to think about abuse. What if there were a team of 3 that make it into deathmatch by themselves, then they use this to deal 9 and 1/2 hearts of damage to one of the players, and allow the other to finish them off so they both get 2 for 1 bounty. Though, it can't be majorly abused that players will sky rocket bounty, even doing it with somebody with 3k or so bounty, as they'll only get an extra bit each game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci