• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why aren't reporting players getting benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlawlessArt

Tribute
Reaction score
Players do benefit from reporting - The community has one less troublemaker to worry about.

Also, if people were rewarded for reporting, wouldn't this cause more people to post false reports?

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
1. So it's the right thing to do? That one's simple. Nobody wants to have to record and ban players.
2. Can't argue with that, but some people in this community ban more hackers than mods do...
3. If 120+ mods can't fix the hacker problem, and they want the problem fixed, then why not add benefits?
4. And yet if you don't have time to record them hacking, they get away with it. /watch player names in the lobby, maybe?
5. I guess this counts as a claim, and I can't really disprove it.

I just hoped that someone would agree that having a reward of some sort for good reports would cause more Report Abuses.
Seeing as this isn't going anywhere, I'm just going to request a thread lock.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Also wanted to add one more point to the discussion, since it's part of the MCG history that not many people remember:

Whenever you add in an ongoing contest to things with regular prizes at stake, people get surprisingly competitive. Back in 2013, we did something quite akin to what was suggested here, but for Moderators. It was a Moderator Leaderboard, where we tallied up who had the most Kicks and Bans and ranked people against each other. To whomever was the top of the Mod Leaderboard, we wanted to give away prizes (Premium ranks, special titles, special ranks). The plan was to make a small game out of it, and to encourage our moderators to be more active with some friendly competition.

Well, judging by the fact that the idea didn't even last a full week, you can guess that the competition didn't stay so friendly. Moderators started to get at each others' throats, sometimes fighting over report abuses so that whoever got it first would be one step closer to the top of the leaderboards. Competition lead to pettiness and drama, and it was leading to a serious schism in the staff team, everyone working against each other in order to claw their way to their reward. And worst of all, it actually degraded the quality of the overall moderation activity; we saw a 50% increase in bans overall, but also a 100% increase in incorrect bans being done as well; in order to boost their numbers, some mods were banning inappropriately, leading to an overall decrease in moderator productivity. With the increased time spent with drama, competition, and paperwork, the idea in generally was scrapped for being detrimental.

If that could happen with a team of Moderators, I fear what could happen if such a thing was granted upon the playerbase. I have no doubt that everyone who posts things now are doing it altruistically and without ulterior incentive; they do it for the good of the community and out of the goodness of their heart, and they're likely to continue to do so regardless of whatever incentive there may be. What I fear are the people who don't fall into that category, people who work only for the reward at the end who will do whatever it takes to get to the top. These are the people who will ruin the rewards system for everyone else by spam submissions, report stealing, drama starting, and whatever else they may cause. And that's not even mentioning the paperwork...

I, for one, am very much in favor of starting a system like this. But people have to understand the perspective that the staff takes with suggestions like this. Everything sounds perfect on paper, but nothing is perfect in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci