• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why do people apply for moderator?

Creepah

Career
Reaction score
Oh hi.

Yes, it's me again with another thread over-analysing something, but you guys seem to like them, and I love to write them, so why not. But any ways, my question is: why do people apply for moderator?

Being a moderator involves a lot of work. Looking after, managing and, well, moderating the servers, the forums and the TeamSpeak are all part of the job. It requires attributes such as good communication skills, practical knowledge, tolerance and composure, and basic common sense. As Col_StaR mentioned once, only the top 4 or so percent of applicants receive the rank, meaning it is quite prestigious and is something you should be proud of. All this work, but what for?

Many moderators say they do it to help the community. As much as this is true for many of them, it can't be the only reason. It's human nature to want something in return for hard work and dedication. Many people have criticized moderators for only wanting the perks and respect that come with the red name, and not to actually moderate, and despite this being mostly untrue (there's always a couple of bad apples), the rank itself is a legitimate motivator, and I personally see the perks as appreciation for the hard work moderators do. Another motivator to apply is the experience of the job. I loved my time as moderator. Despite essentially working for free, the experience of helping and talking with players, chatting with other moderators, being the first to play new games, try new features, get the latest news and overall having a good time is worth applying for, and I believe is the true reason many people apply.

So what's my point? If you're wondering why you would "waste" your time moderating a Minecraft server, well as bad as it sounds, moderating a game community is simply enriching your experience. You can still play the game with your friends, but you can also do something productive, and even pick up valuable life skills. Some of the applications for moderator would look just as good when applying for a job in the future.

So if you're thinking of applying, do it. The work you put in comes out in experience and enrichment!

Reaction score
I love your threads.
Creepah's threads,
Would u marry me?
jk
But people apply for mod for a couple of reasons.
1. Helping out the community, People want to get mod to help out the community, ban hackers. Keep the chat clear. Etc.
2. Getting the rank, This is sad, but people do it. They get mod for the rank and don't do anything. They play and don't do much work at all, but their aren't many of them.
3. Getting a good rep, just getting respected in the community.
Their might be more.
Also the only thing I didn't like about the friend rank was that any one could have gotten it, but when platinum came along that got
fixed, I would agree that some people did deserve it but I won't go on a rant. Also GibbyMC I struggled to get 2,000 words.

Last edited:

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
I applied for mod because I saw what current moderators were doing at the time. If you don't know, I was on creative a lot before I was a moderator. I saw Lively, Frazzli185, AmyGlitters, Adragonfire9, and Razzledgirl almost everyday, and I saw them helping others with their plot or placing blocks for people who don't have access to a specific block. After about a week of seeing them, I decided that I was going to apply for moderator so that I could do the same thing. So, ultimately, I applied for moderator so I could 1) Work with the current staff team, who I saw as a group of hard-working respectable people and 2) help the community the way I saw the current staff doing so.

Last edited:

Mirko

Quantum
Reaction score
I am super-active on the forums and I love helping people that can't do something or have some troubles with the donor/ban eccetera.
Also, I could help MCGamer, like every moderator, to help the server and turn it into a perfect community.

Reaction score
I am super-active on the forums and I love helping people that can't do something or have some troubles with the donor/ban eccetera.
Also, I could help MCGamer, like every moderator, to help the server and turn it into a perfect community.
You would be a great staff member but I didn't see the point in that post.

Reactions: Tom

SonicSplit

Career
Reaction score
I agree for once ^_^ I actually may apply for mod sometime in a year or so :3 first need to get Teamspeak and Skype though :/ but other than that I think it would be a good experience to be in :D

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I applied to give back to the community I'd been a part of for so long. I love doing moderator duties, knowing that I personally contributed to the removal of many rule breakers and have helped out other people with their problems. The perks that come with it are nice, don't get me wrong but there's more to it.

ThatTyle

Platinum
Reaction score
I feel like 50% of people apply for the rank and usually don't get it because of the lack of detail and understanding of the network (I am not in an any higher position of course) but the 20% actually deserve the rank, and the other 20% get it because of dedication :) (personal opinion of course).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci