• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why do people view Minecraft as a child's game?

SharkyFin

Survivor
Reaction score
Just a prefice, I know Minecraft's a child game, but I also believe it's for all ages.

In my school, I'm quite well known, I have a good reputation and stuff like that. I'm scared of people knowing I play minecraft, or soon to be a youtuber, and I know, (be yourself) but I feel that sentence is easier said than done.

I feel Minecraft is a game of all age's, but the view on Minecraft was set by 11 year olds who play Survival, watch SkyDoesMinecraft, and think some guy screaming on the internet is funny. I personally feel Minecraft as a strategy game. But hey, no one minds I play cs-go.

Any thoughts?

J

District 13
Reaction score
Most likely people think of Minecraft as another version of legos which usually kids play right? They say it is a block game which is entirely true but after saying that, they immediately compare it to legos which makes their opinion of it, a block game. The reason why people don't consider CS:GO is most likely because there is actual blood/violence in the game which most people depict is as a teen/mature game.

therealhoogee

Survivor
Reaction score
It's because they think shooting things in the head is manly and grown up.
To that I say: which game more reflects all of our current world problems?
Cod or minecraft .
Precisely.
Cod etc. Is nonsensical - the reason people class themselves as "adult gamers" is because they play an 18.
But they seriously haven't applied their brain.
Seriously.

SharkyFin

Survivor
Reaction score
It's because they think shooting things in the head is manly and grown up.
To that I say: which game more reflects all of our current world problems?
Cod or minecraft .
Precisely.
Cod etc. Is nonsensical - the reason people class themselves as "adult gamers" is because they play an 18.
But they seriously haven't applied their brain.
Seriously.
Actually, I don't agree.

Cod is more related to real world, since there are insane dictators and the United States who are war hungry. And I read something where marines can play COD strategically to practice their skills on the battlefield. But 40 year old men have no benefit from playing COD.

Edit here's the link: http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/12/p...as-long-term-learning-benefits-for-the-brain/

Roluxe

Platinum
Reaction score
I've been in the same boat as you Sharky for the last three years, I've just kept it on the DL as best as I can around my friends and my IRL social life. And you basically answered your question yourself, people don't realize what Minecraft can really be about once you get into it and start playing on servers and getting really into the incredible PvP experience it surprisingly offers. They just look at what the "media" shows them, which is most of the time just weird little 7-12 year olds praising Sky and "Benja" playing a game that does indeed look very childish at first glance compared to the sights of any FPS game. It's kind of like the stuff you see on the news vs. what really happens behind all that, that the media doesn't show you.

therealhoogee

Survivor
Reaction score
Actually, I don't agree.

Cod is more related to real world, since there are insane dictators and the United States who are war hungry. And I read something where marines can play COD strategically to practice their skills on the battlefield. But 40 year old men have no benefit from playing COD.
Exactly.
(Not arguing I think this is an interesting discussion)
Life isn't a game and I get the impression that cod makes it into one.
I agree that cod is more real world (I play cod as well btw) and I agree with you in that it is more realistic (dictatorships etc.) but it is not peaceful enough for some people and I get the feeling it takes the mick out of life.
I do however agree to an extent and I get where you're coming from.

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
Every time a friend of mine was like, why do you play that stupid game.. Its for babies.
I let them try it and play it, and they loved it :)

First time I saw and heard about Minecraft, was at school.
There were 2 kids playing it in class, but they were playing Survival and caving and stuff.. and I was like wtf is that, that looks boring.. Then I watched some youtubers play multiplayer, and then I bought Minecraft :)

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
It's a game that most people at least tried 2 years ago. Since they didn't stick with it back then, they assume it's for an age group younger than that age. For me, most people would assume it's for 11-13 yearolds, not those who are 15.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci