• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Why kill?

ParanoidAltoid

Spectator
Reaction score
I would like to have a focused, abstract discussion about this game and game theory.

Here is my question: Why attack other players? EDIT: Why enter fights with other players?

(Changed it because chasing down obviously weaker players still makes sense, since you know you won't die.)

THE ARGUMENT

If you engage and win, the benefit is that you have one less opponent, and you get his stuff.
If you lose, you are dead.

My argument is that since the harm from losing a fight is much greater than the benefit from winning, you should almost never engage. Engaging is a bad bet.

WHY THE BENEFIT IS SMALL:
Having one less opponent is only a small benefit for yourself. The easiest way to see this is by recognizing that when you kill an opponent, you are essentially doing the other 22 players a favour. They benefit from having one less opponent just as much as you do. This leads to a free rider problem: I'm better off letting other people do the killing while I hide in safety. Kind of like how I'm better off staying home from war, letting my neighbors risk their lives.

Gaining the stuff of your victim isn't a large benefit because if you win, they probably bad equipment. If they have good equipment, they will probably kill you.

SO WHY DOES KILLING OCCUR?

Possibilities:
1. There is some third benefit to killing I have failed to see.

2. Players like killing other players intrinsically, not because it will help them win the game.
3. Players don't understand the free rider problem. This is like people who think it's in your best interest to vote, failing to see that your vote won't make a difference.
4. What else?

EDIT
5. I have underestimated the value of the two benefits I mentioned (gaining equipment and removing opponents).

MORE THOUGHTS

Most of you seem to be appealing to 5, saying that you need to kill to get good equipment. But the fact that a person wants to fight you is very good evidence that they are stronger than you and will kill you.

I will sketch it out a game which exemplifies this, in case you find this sort of thing interesting. I hope it's clear enough, I think I might be bad at explaining things.

Two generals have armies of power level 1, 2, or 3. Each general doesn't know the other's power level. They can choose whether to engage or not, and both must agree to engage or else they tie. If they engage, the one with the highest power level wins (and they tie if their levels are the same). Their first preference is to win, second preference is to tie, and the worst outcome is engaging and losing.

-If you are level 1, the best you can do by engaging is to tie, so you might as well run away.
-Therefore, if your opponent is rational, you can be sure that he won't engage if he's level 1.
-Therefore, if you are level 2, you know that the best you can do by engaging is tying. So again, you might as well stay home.

The conclusion is that players only attack if they're level 3, which would result as a tie in my model. So rational players would never have a reason to engage. (This is the reason poker has blinds. If poker didn't have blinds, rational players would only bet if they had royal flushes.)

Does my model apply to survival games? I can't see why not. Winning an engagement is slightly good for you, running away is okay (since you can still win the game by getting good equipment from chests), and dying is very bad for your odds of success.

I_Am_Fire

Tribute
Reaction score
So what happens when you get to deathmatch with no armor/weapons? (chests excluded, sometimes you may get some good stuff) Unless you are g33ke, you have a very very very slim chance of winning. Even if you do try to run them out, the lightning will kill you faster than it kills the other guy with full iron. Will edit if anything else comes to mind.

Just because somebody has worse armor than you doesn't mean you can't kill them. Example @9:52

not seeing a single person for over 40 minutes.
That doesn't sound like a fun way to play

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
You kill to win the game.
Hello! You kill to win the game! That's the great thing about MCSG!

Herm Edwards said it-just replace the word "play" with the word "kill" :p

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score
If you don't kill anyone chances are you will be fighting one, if not two decked players in deathmatch.

I can somewhat see where he is coming from, but not everyone you fight has a chance to kill you, they may not have a weapon, or have no armor.

This tactic is only really of any value if you are in the final X (lets say 4) players and everyone has full iron and a diamond sword.

leMaCderp

Career
Reaction score
The Derpy Rant which rants about threads that will cause concussions and comas!
Let's start
- If you engage and win, you get his items and one less man on the map. Otherwise, you lose.
~ If you see 2 people fighting and you have a weapon, you most likely have a free kill or two.
Getting items are kool as you may need THAT 1 more diamond for a diamond sword or that golden ingot to make a sword for defense. To stop dying, play with more skill, which you slowly get. In case you forgot, it's a game.

- Engaging is a bad bet.

~ Applies when you're having intercourse. Engaging a battle is dependent on your resources and your skill level. If both are low, just run. Every tribute dies, only 1 lives. If every tributes runs, you're going to get a 24 player start and a 24 player DeathMatch. ONLY A GAME, it isn't about only surviving. Otherwise, get better at the game.

- Doing the rest a favor

~ The favor is better for you unless the tribute you killed has nothing or a seed. Which can grow to wheat.

- Let the others do the dirty work

~ At DM, unless you have decent resources, you're bucked. Camping somewhere with a leather helmet and a raw chicken will make you weak, bored and while everyone is getting items. You're benefitting others in this case as they get more items while you just hide for reset. And eventually, you get narwhalled by the last tributes. Unless they kill themselves at the same time, you will win. Running causes the gods to take you with the power of light and sound.

- People with good gear will kill you

~ Chant #YOLO in your head.

Therefore, your arguments are invalid. I don't mind if you like to play that way, it just gives people chances to win.

Bai

- Narwhal gui.

ohheyitscarly

Diamond
Reaction score
You kill because these are Hunger Games style servers.. And what do you do in the Hunger Games? You kill, not get more wins. Just a thought. :p

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score
To the original poster, I think your argument is wrong. The thing that you should be pushing is for users to make better choices when engaging in combat, knowing when you are beaten etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci