• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Your Thoughts on Corporal Punishment

What Method of Punishment do you Prefer?

• Corporal

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Talking it out

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Tietan

Experienced
Reaction score
Hi Everybody! Unlike the previous tips and tricks guides I post, this thread is going to be different. I'm going to ask you what you guys think about Corporal Punishment. For all you who don't know, Corporal Punishment is the act of hurting someone physically, deliberately to punish someone.

I live in an Asian household and my parents are very strict. This included being spanked by cutting boards when my siblings and I were four years old, being hit by broken sticks from chairs, or getting hit with anything they can find. Usually the reasons were because I got a bad grade, talked back, or spoke a opinion they highly disagreed with. I'm not that bitter about this however I often wonder if there is a better way to discipline a child. Personally I don't believe Corporal Punishment is the best way to parent, because how can you love someone that is hurting you?

I don't have much experience with other methods of discipline so I would like you hear yours! How were you raised or punished when you did something bad? How would you like to punish or discipline your own child? I would like to hear all your guy's opinion.

AN: I'm not being abused at home or is this a way to get attention. My parents are very loving, caring, and respectable people that I look up to very much. Except when my mom has her slipper... ;-;

Planetary

Career
Reaction score
Well my mom just plugs out the internet and hides the router for a week after a bad grade in school. btw this is my 99th post, hope it counts ^-^

Tuatara

District 13
Reaction score
In my opinion, corporal punishment is not a healthy discipline technique in the family. Discipline should teach there are logical and natural consequences to all our behaviours. Physically punishing and hurting kids teaches that might makes right. It teaches kids to fear that mistakes will bring them pain and shame. It causes them to seek revenge. It makes them lose trust and respect for the person who physically punishes them. Short of skilfully restraining a child who has physically become a danger to himself and/or others, adults should not be permitted to inflict physical punishment upon kids in the name of discipline.

A study in the US tracked children and found that those who were spanked more often would also exhibit more anti-social behaviour two years down the line. And a study in St Kitts (whose society is more accepting of corporal punishment), researchers found that although children were more accepting they needed to be punished (when compared to a more permissive society), they still were as negatively impacted psychologically by it.

So, studies suggest that there may be long-term issues in punishing your children physically. Yet, it is often heard by many: “I was caned as a child, and I am okay as a result of it”. It’s a bit like saying: “I never wear a seat belt, and have been driving for years without a problem”.

This sort of thinking confuses your chances of being in a life-threatening accident (very low), with your chances of dying without a seat belt (very high). Of course you should wear a seat belt if you can. A study in Putrajaya found only about half the drivers wear a seat belt, but imagine how much lower that number would be if it wasn't illegal to do so – and how much higher the fatalities. In the same vein, a law against corporal punishment would make parents think twice about risking their child to having long-term issues resulting from physical punishment.

Yured

Diamond
Reaction score
In my opinion, corporal punishment is not a healthy discipline technique in the family. Discipline should teach there are logical and natural consequences to all our behaviours. Physically punishing and hurting kids teaches that might makes right. It teaches kids to fear that mistakes will bring them pain and shame. It causes them to seek revenge. It makes them lose trust and respect for the person who physically punishes them. Short of skilfully restraining a child who has physically become a danger to himself and/or others, adults should not be permitted to inflict physical punishment upon kids in the name of discipline.

A study in the US tracked children and found that those who were spanked more often would also exhibit more anti-social behaviour two years down the line. And a study in St Kitts (whose society is more accepting of corporal punishment), researchers found that although children were more accepting they needed to be punished (when compared to a more permissive society), they still were as negatively impacted psychologically by it.

So, studies suggest that there may be long-term issues in punishing your children physically. Yet, it is often heard by many: “I was caned as a child, and I am okay as a result of it”. It’s a bit like saying: “I never wear a seat belt, and have been driving for years without a problem”.

This sort of thinking confuses your chances of being in a life-threatening accident (very low), with your chances of dying without a seat belt (very high). Of course you should wear a seat belt if you can. A study in Putrajaya found only about half the drivers wear a seat belt, but imagine how much lower that number would be if it wasn't illegal to do so – and how much higher the fatalities. In the same vein, a law against corporal punishment would make parents think twice about risking their child to having long-term issues resulting from physical punishment.
That couldn't have been said any better.

Planetary

Career
Reaction score

Omg, can you pls write my English reports next school year?

croe97

District 13
Reaction score
Well my mom just plugs out the internet and hides the router for a week after a bad grade in school. btw this is my 99th post, hope it counts ^-^
The only thing worse than corporal punishment is parents disabling the internet..

I personally believe physically punishing a child is not the correct way to go about discipline. I was never subject to that kind of environment and I have grown up with a mature, positive outlook on life with a lot of respect for my parents.

Vanth

Quantum
Reaction score
The only thing worse than corporal punishment is parents disabling the internet..

I personally believe physically punishing a child is not the correct way to go about discipline. I was never subject to that kind of environment and I have grown up with a mature, positive outlook on life with a lot of respect for my parents.
Not only is this a terrible, heartbreaking subject, but it is also wrong. I strongly disagree with this. I no fna ;(. However, I would rather endure this than have my internet taken away :p As croe said.

~Vanth

LittleKisses

Quantum
Reaction score
Put quite simply, if it's not acceptable for adults to go around verbally and physically abusing each other, then what makes it OK to inflict the same treatment on children who are essentially vulnerable and defenseless? In my opinion there is no excuse for it.

Braden

District 13
Reaction score
If your parents disabled your internet you wouldn't be able to get forum medals. =/

Anyways, corporal punishment isn't the most useful way to parent, in my opinion. I believe that letting someone think about their mistakes and let that take over is the best as learning from your mistakes is the best way to reform your life.

Jexsy

Career
Reaction score
ehhh my parents don't punish me cause im a 1337 hacker!!!!

no they generally just like give me a stern talk or whatever, but my mom used to slap me for doing something, until I became taller and stronger than her, and there was this one akward moment when she tried to slap me and i grabbed her hand, and at that point no more hitting!

Yured

Diamond
Reaction score
Well, most of the time, it's always, "Don't talk back to your elders," which is quite aggravating sometimes, because most of the times, you feel you're correct, or are correct. I don't know, this is a point of view from a 14 year old, though it might be different from a point of view of an adult.

Jexsy

Career
Reaction score
Well, most of the time, it's always, "Don't talk back to your elders," which is quite aggravating sometimes, because most of the times, you feel you're correct, or are correct. I don't know, this is a point of view from a 14 year old, but it might be different from a point of view of an adult.
i mean everytime my parents have pissed me off for doing something, which imo they deserved, I generally slow their internet down to like 100 kb/s so they cant do anything until I'm not angry at them anymore c:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci