• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A look at MCSG from an old player (Voxcile/OrcaM8)

Voxcile

Survivor
Reaction score
Skip to third Paragraph to read just the view part.

Hello, Lets start this of with a little introduction about who I am. I am Voxcile or OrcaM8 an ex-moderator and long long time member of this community. I played a little bit in beta but left soon after starting. I came back sometime in 2012 during MCSG v1 (MCG v1 major diffrence). I had around 100-200 wins and hovered around the top 50s in the NA leaderboards (before global leaderboards). I had iron donor and was a little known player. To be honest these where the times I had the most fun playing the game, innocent and bad at the game, didn't care if I won but when I did it was the best feeling in the world. Anyway lets continue.

(more history of me) I became very close friends with some staff members and eventually became staff here.
I was a staff member for a pretty long time and when I resigned I instantly went head first into the clan community. I was a member/elite/officer of The Forgotten US team (imo the greatest team in terms of skill and achievment, but of course im biased) . Because Ive gone threw just about all the diffrent areas of this community and been around so long I wanted to share the view I have of the community now.

I am still a gamer so when im down inbetween games I will occasionly browse these forums to check out how my old home is. First off Im not bashing the new community. Im sure for the people that are in it this is a great fun and welcoming place. From my eyes I see a bunch of over competitve people trying to become known or famous wheter that be youtube or just becoming a good pvper. To me this is so ridcoulues. Play the game it was meant to be played. For fun. Keep in mind you are playing a glorfied lego game and enjoy it. Don't worry about the leaderboards or becoming a huge youtuber or becoming the greatest player the world has ever seen.

Clans:I have 100 left the clan community but I still look around some of the older clans threads. Looking around at the rosters I have no idea who any of you are but I do notice that the clan scene has dropped to the lowest level it has ever been at. People ddos to win, cheating is a major part now and it seems to me from the outside looking in that there is no more room for good pvpers within the community. For example. Forgotten was a stacked team with some of the best and most well known pvpers. We were so much more than that however, sure we had players like BomBashious, Aglities, 20s, Tironas11, xExtract and even me when I was an elite to carry us and lead us, but the entire team was extremly strong and we won because of that. Our leader soul kept us friends and kept us focus on proving we where the best. This doesn't happen in clans from the looks of it now. Clan members say horrible things to other clans and it blows my mind that this is happening. Anyway thats my piece on clans.

Staff: I was once a staff member in what I would consider one of the better times for staff, a time before power hungry 12 year olds became mods. No one that I can remember was power hungry. We where helpful and kind and worked with the community to make this a better place for all of us. Now look at it, power hungry unfriendly groups of mods that stay up in staff chats for 12 hours a day. Its insane. Then mods sitting in hubs insinuating arguments and causing more issues than they are fixing. Blows my mind again but hey thats my view.

General Community: You all act so high and mighty, there are a select few of you that seem to be working for the better of community but then I see your signatures with "click here for staff help" or whatever and I realize ahh this person isnt geniunily trying to help he just wants to become a mod. News Flash being a mod is the worst job you can get here imo but hey whatever floats your boat :).

I have so much more but this is it for now my friends :))))

pls no hate

pls no copy pasterino

basically im an old man and i dont like change

Pikachu

Diamond
Reaction score
Being a different old player, I couldn't possibly agree more. Good on you orca, this perfectly captures mcsg as it once was and what it is now.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
I am honestly, genuinely happy to have known the community before what I think is bad happened.
I didn't join clans when clans were like family. And its so funny, because they call themselves a clan, but do they even know what the word clan means?
Clan: a group of close-knit and interrelated families
That is what clan means and every clan now a days forgets that.

From my eyes, I see the same exact you do: Members acting all-mighty putting moderator links on their signature or when they're try-harding for moderator they write all formal and completely different from how the would write before; I find it so easy to see who is try-harding for mod by just looking at their recent activity on their profile section.
Back when I wanted to be a moderator, I never put silly links on my signature, or changed the way I wrote or even changed my attitude. I would simply: Gather evidence and submit —like every mod in history has done. And to get any recognition, I'd just try helping every-now-and-then on the forums answering the questions other players had.
I remember when I would see actual moderators in-game; heck, now I either see some random mod —well, all moderators are random now a days— or no mods at all.

Whenever I see the profile of an old staff member I honestly wonder why did he resign. I wonder why did he leave the future of this community into the hands we have today. Whatever.

Anyway.

How are you Voxy? :3 Its been a long time since I last talked to you.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I was once a staff member in what I would consider one of the better times for staff, a time before power hungry 12 year olds became mods. No one that I can remember was power hungry. We where helpful and kind and worked with the community to make this a better place for all of us. Now look at it, power hungry unfriendly groups of mods that stay up in staff chats for 12 hours a day. Its insane. Then mods sitting in hubs insinuating arguments and causing more issues than they are fixing. Blows my mind again but hey thats my view.
Coming from the opinion of a current staff member of almost 6 months, I have to disagree. Yeah, we've lowered the age limit, but it hasn't proved to be that big of a deal. Just because moderators stay in mod chats all the time doesn't mean we don't help people out. We've recently been spreading a movement throughout the staff to remind everyone that we do, in fact, need to respond to pokes because that has become an issue over the last couple of months. When we find an issue, we solve it as quickly as possible.

For the starting arguments point, there is some truth to this in that moderators to often get into arguments in the hub, only because they're being provoked by users. The reason we may look this way is because there is a lot of downright abuse coming towards the staff just because people think they're cool and mighty to abuse the staff. I've gotten multiple separate inboxes from people I don't know that simply bash on me and the staff using vulgar, degrading, and angry language. We take more abuse than many people really think, and the whole hub thing is simply us trying to defend ourselves. I personally think ignoring it would do the team a lot better, but it's hard to control your emotions under such angry comments.

More on this later, I've got to go for now.

Edit 1: So I heard from Fox that all mods are randoms nowadays. If yore an old player this might look like it, but it's not true really at all. I went through the old staff lists and found people I'd never heard of when o played back then. It's the same thing now, big with a new generation of players. MCSG had been around for a while and a lot of newer players are pouring in and applying for moderator because they want to help out the community. Those who do get accepted to a wonderful job! Sure there may be a couple of so called corrupt mods, however they are removed almost as quickly as they are hired. Times have changed sadly.

Like I said before, there is a reason the staff team looks more aggressive and power hungry. It's mainly because a ton of people start arguments with us! None of that staff abuse happened back in the v1 days. Being a mod is different now. Stricter punishment guidelines, rougher treatment from the community, and a much, much larger community to deal with and moderate.

In the spring of 2014 I started to think that the staff was in fact corrupt and whatnot, and had somewhat similar thoughts to yours, but I stopped and realized that the network is different now. We've grown in player count and are still going at it strong. Sure not all of the older players lay anymore but that's expected of such a time tested network. I don't know a single server that is as large as us, has been going for as long, and still has as active of a community as we do.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
We've recently been spreading a movement throughout the staff to remind everyone that we do, in fact, need to respond to pokes because that has become an issue over the last couple of months. When we find an issue, we solve it as quickly as possible.
Past couple of months? More like since last year.

For the starting arguments point, there is some truth to this in that moderators to often get into arguments in the hub, only because they're being provoked by users. The reason we may look this way is because there is a lot of downright abuse coming towards the staff just because people think they're cool and mighty to abuse the staff. I've gotten multiple separate inboxes from people I don't know that simply bash on me and the staff using vulgar, degrading, and angry language. We take more abuse than many people really think, and the whole hub thing is simply us trying to defend ourselves. I personally think ignoring it would do the team a lot better, but it's hard to control your emotions under such angry comments.

You know, you can just ignore people. You're a moderator, right, but that doesn't means that you have to take whatever someone throws at you seriously or even feel discouraged by it.

Voxcile

Survivor
Reaction score
Coming from the opinion of a current staff member of almost 6 months, I have to disagree. Yeah, we've lowered the age limit, but it hasn't proved to be that big of a deal. Just because moderators stay in mod chats all the time doesn't mean we don't help people out. We've recently been spreading a movement throughout the staff to remind everyone that we do, in fact, need to respond to pokes because that has become an issue over the last couple of months. When we find an issue, we solve it as quickly as possible.

Edit 1: So I heard from Fox that all mods are randoms nowadays. If yore an old player this might look like it, but it's not true really at all. I went through the old staff lists and found people I'd never heard of when o played back then. It's the same thing now, big with a new generation of players. MCSG had been around for a while and a lot of newer players are pouring in and applying for moderator because they want to help out the community. Those who do get accepted to a wonderful job! Sure there may be a couple of so called corrupt mods, however they are removed almost as quickly as they are hired. Times have changed sadly.

Like I said before, there is a reason the staff team looks more aggressive and power hungry. It's mainly because a ton of people start arguments with us! None of that staff abuse happened back in the v1 days. Being a mod is different now. Stricter punishment guidelines, rougher treatment from the community, and a much, much larger community to deal with and moderate.

In the spring of 2014 I started to think that the staff was in fact corrupt and whatnot, and had somewhat similar thoughts to yours, but I stopped and realized that the network is different now. We've grown in player count and are still going at it strong. Sure not all of the older players lay anymore but that's expected of such a time tested network. I don't know a single server that is as large as us, has been going for as long, and still has as active of a community as we do.
Im sure what you say is true. It doesnt matter however if it isnt your fault. The way staff presents itself now is not good my friend.

Wait intill you resign and you look back just like many of us ex staff members do and realize how brainwashed we really were.

But i leave that to you to figure out :)

Huzonus

Diamond
Reaction score

I LIKE UR LONG THREADS!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci